Author Topic: How Do I Make a Parkour Team?  (Read 18753 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
How Do I Make a Parkour Team?
« on: November 20, 2007, 08:45:08 AM »
We frequently get asked, "What's the best way to go about building a Parkour / Freerunning Team?". I figured lots of people are interested in this, so I might as well post the answer in an article.

I'd say that the most important part is nothing "technical" about building a team, but rather everyone training and progressing together. Set goals for the group, like every member has to be able to do APK warmup in less than 15 minutes within 30 days. Measure everyone's progress both separately and together, and just train and hang together as much as you can, those are the things that REALLY build a team. Get some video footage and decide to do a "before and after" video that you can look back and laugh at. It will help you all stay focused on training and progression.

Here are some of the things we get asked commonly that I'd say to avoid ...

1. Don't go "looking for members". The best teams are already friends and already practice together.

2. Don't spend countless hours making a logo and website before you've learned to land and roll.

3. Don't post on multiple forums lamenting that one of your team members has left the group. People will have different motivation levels and goals, and if someone doesn't want to be part of your group, pointing them out on the internet won't help, it will only create further rifts.

4. Don't try to build an "internet based" team ... unless you are playing some weird Parkour version of Fantasy Football, then team members should be people who can meet up and practice regularly in real life.

5. Name your team whatever you want. Asking for suggestions on what to name your team is like asking for suggestions on what to name your pet. It should be a name that means something to you and the group, not random people on the internet. See # 2.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:24:52 AM by Demon »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline superdude88

• is 13!!
  • Mangabey
  • kris vachet
    • View Profile
Re: How Do I Make a Parkour Team?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:07:41 PM »
thanks m2 me and my friend made a team called team Xtream
I'm Legend, 13, I'm Superdude

"No matter what you see in life see it as an obstacle see it as it can be over come."
-Me

Can't have a rainbow without rain

Offline Donald Morrow

• Guenons
  • I <3 Andy + Jordan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
I have heard rumors of other traceurs in my area, but I have never seen any out practicing. I'm hoping I can meet up with them someday, perhaps make a team, get more people involved.

But yeah, as M2 said, your focus on should be more on training your abilities together, not sitting at the computer making logos, and rules, and everything else under the sun. Just go out and enjoy Parkour :)
People can say 'You can't, you won't, you never will', but believe in yourself, and you will do the impossible. - Me

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:29:13 AM »
I've been focusing mainly on solo training. I have one buddy that trains with me (vary rarely).

My issue is that all my friends are Lazy or Drunks or scared. Should I just start a one man group and say screw teams?
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 07:59:31 AM »
As well, I wanna start working on some harder tricks and especially flips. But to do this efficiently and most importantly safely I need a spotter. What the hell should I do?

P.S. No open gyms or non 8 yr old girl cheer gyms within 2hrs of me
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Sam Dutton

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
I just go and train, and if other people see they come and train with me. Sometimes I don't even know them. Might think of making a team with the more regular people though

Offline Kyle.currie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 10:45:39 PM »
 :) hi I am kyle and am only twelve but I do parkour and I think that I should get some advice before I go and name my group so what do you think of fusion parkour?