Author Topic: My Parkour Season Is Officially Over  (Read 8542 times)

Offline vVTalonVv

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
My Parkour Season Is Officially Over
« on: November 19, 2007, 10:13:43 AM »
Well, I woke up today to a crap load of snow mixed in with a hefty amount of ice. Just goes to show you that my season is now over.
I wish I had a gym somewhere to train in, but after talking to someone at the gym nearby me I didnt exactly want to pay $50 for an hourly lesson to join.

What a pain. I guess its simply back to the weights, punching bag, and jump rope until it gets nice out again.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: My Parkour Season Is Officially Over
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »
Not at all ... keep training, just be very careful and weary of slippery surfaces. Cold snowy walls ... are these not obstacles?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Jake Meyer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 10:24:58 AM »
I'm sure I have a big load of snow coming my way too. I live in Minnesota. I feel your pain  :'( I just got into PK/FR this summer. What do you guys do for winter training? I also managed to get achilles tendonitis a couple weeks ago so I've just been doing strength training and stretching.

Offline Corey Cedeno

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 10:29:56 AM »
http://www.whiteparkourvideo.com/trailer/

Snow and Ice has not stopped these guys.  Keep training; just be extra careful and test all your surfaces before you do anything.

Offline Marshall Cent Lewis

• Mangabey
  • PKVA - Richmond, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:32:24 AM »
You pretty much just do the same stuff.  Only thing that changes is what you wear while you train, which usually ends up coming off as the training session goes on.  Of course you'll have to be more careful about what you're doing and what you're doing it on.  Just remember the basics..

Know your abilities!
Check your surfaces
Dont take any unnecessary risks
Dont fight fatigue. If you're tired, stop!
Listen to your body
Always look before you leap!

And if the snow is thick enough, its even comfortable to know that you have a softer landing if you mess up.  Good luck training during the cold season!
USMC Combat Engineers
Nut up or shut up!

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 11:00:55 AM »
You don't want to be some Fair Weather Traceur! Train differently, but there are no "seasons" for parkour.

That being said, I wish it were spring. Training is a lot more FUN when it isn't cold, I will grant you.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 11:31:39 AM »
Shovel that snow.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Charlie" Frontflip" Chase

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:13:54 PM »
In my area(Canada) it gets cold as hell every damn day so its actually fairly difficult  i imagine to train in 3 ft of snow in negative 30C weather. But still im going to train what i can indoors and try to find a gym that i can go to.
What you see depends on what you're looking for.
What is worse Ignorance or Apathy?
I don't know and i don't care.

Offline Tichen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 12:19:01 PM »
that's one inspiring vid. yeah, bad weather's an obstacle, but hey, we're tracers. :P

that being said, if you still want indoor training.. try tricking & breakdancing, they'll improve your parkour.
Be Relentless

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 12:24:45 PM »
Yo guys there is a thread on myspace about PK/FR winter training, They talk about some very good exercises there and show some pretty good videos maybe that Will help you. I live in HI so it is rain what I have to deal with. HEAVY RAIN.

PK Myspace Group
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 12:41:17 PM »
How, fantastic video man. I like the part where everyone is Ice Skating and they are running. So when dies this come out/

Guys is you practice in snow and become good at it, imagine your core strength and balance on dry surfaces. The way I see it you guys have an advantage over everyone one else in dry weather because you are would be able to conquer any obstacle regardless. Isn't that what PK is about?

In my case it is rain what I have to deal with in my side of this Hawaiian island. I am not talking about sprinkles either I am talking about heavy massive rain at least 3 times a week. I dont mind training in the wet surfaces but it is very annoying to train all wet and having watter
pouring on your face. I might try one time getting my rain coat out and go for it see how it feel.

Anyway guys just take Cent's advice and be safe.

Have fun.

Here is another VIDEO
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline vVTalonVv

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 08:36:45 PM »
What makes it hard for me to practice during the winter is that there is already very little for me to practice on already. My life in New Jersey consists of flat streets and peoples back yards. For those of you that have seen my video in the "My First Video" thread, you can see that my only real spot is that park... which is WOOD. I fell on my ass so many times when that wood was wet, I dont want to see what its like when I add snow and ice on top of it.

I need to find better spots to Parkour in Jersey, that are on the northern end... Snow doesnt exactly scare me, its just that there is little for me out here.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 10:34:05 PM »
In my area(Canada) it gets cold as hell every damn day so its actually fairly difficult  i imagine to train in 3 ft of snow in negative 30C weather. But still im going to train what i can indoors and try to find a gym that i can go to.

Yeah, I'm in Canada, too.  Whereabouts are you? 
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 06:19:53 AM »
Yo guys there is a thread on myspace about PK/FR winter training, They talk about some very good exercises there and show some pretty good videos maybe that Will help you. I live in HI so it is rain what I have to deal with. HEAVY RAIN.

PK Myspace Group

Do you have any parts of Oahu where it's dry all the time? I remember when I was in Maui, there were areas where it rained all the time, like a rainforest, and there were desert areas where it hardly ever rained..

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 06:22:41 AM »
What makes it hard for me to practice during the winter is that there is already very little for me to practice on already. My life in New Jersey consists of flat streets and peoples back yards. For those of you that have seen my video in the "My First Video" thread, you can see that my only real spot is that park... which is WOOD. I fell on my ass so many times when that wood was wet, I dont want to see what its like when I add snow and ice on top of it.

I need to find better spots to Parkour in Jersey, that are on the northern end... Snow doesnt exactly scare me, its just that there is little for me out here.

I have trained in New Jersey, and I know there are tons of places there to do parkour. You need to hook up with the NJ/NY crowd.. Folks like Hardcore_Traceur, and Pyro4PK, Damin from the Jinn Clan, and Ann as well.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 06:24:13 AM »

Yeah, I'm in Canada, too.  Whereabouts are you? 

Canadian cities are perfect for parkour. Their architecture makes you think it was designed with parkour in mind.. Toronto is one MASSIVE hotspot.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 07:28:55 AM »

I just can't believe that is "the only" spot around. I go to school in Rochester and just recently came back to my home town Albany. I was sure there was nothing good to practice on near where I live but I put on my running shoes and decided to go exploring. I ran everywhere and found 5 spots all within running distance of me.

Now about the snow that makes things even more fun. There's still a lot of training that can be done outside. Although you may need to back off of the wall climbs a bit so as to not slip and hurt yourself for the next "season" there's still many ways to train for it. That winter video I found very intriguing and inspired RIT Parkour to get a dog sled for the incoming snow season. Just have your senses more alert than normal, be sure you check EVERY surface you plan on practicing on, and go out and adapt to the new environment.

You can't decide what the weather will be when someone decides they REALLY want to grab you and hurt you for one reason or another. So train for all possible cases!

Offline REMO

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 09:21:02 AM »
Keep training nothing wrong with a new surface to train on.  And it should make rolling on concrete a little bit nicer
remo

Offline REMO

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 09:23:38 AM »
Its not over now you have a chance to practice on a new surface.  It should also make rolling on concrete a little bit nicer.
remo

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 11:20:04 AM »
How, fantastic video man. I like the part where everyone is Ice Skating and they are running. So when dies this come out/

Guys is you practice in snow and become good at it, imagine your core strength and balance on dry surfaces. The way I see it you guys have an advantage over everyone one else in dry weather because you are would be able to conquer any obstacle regardless. Isn't that what PK is about?

In my case it is rain what I have to deal with in my side of this Hawaiian island. I am not talking about sprinkles either I am talking about heavy massive rain at least 3 times a week. I dont mind training in the wet surfaces but it is very annoying to train all wet and having watter
pouring on your face. I might try one time getting my rain coat out and go for it see how it feel.

Anyway guys just take Cent's advice and be safe.

Have fun.

Here is another VIDEO

The White video isn't exactly the best example of Canadian winter training...  A lot of stuff was done that put the performers in great danger, considering their skill level.  I really wish people would stop looking toward it.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia