Author Topic: My Parkour Season Is Officially Over  (Read 8131 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: My Parkour Season Is Officially Over
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »
Hawaiian weather varies depending on the island, season, and wind direction. Some places get 400+ inches of rain in a year, and others that get 10. I live in a drier area, but even here, we sometimes get a 3" rainfall in one day.

I lived in snow and ice most of my life. Even if "White" was a dangerous and stupid project, you still need to be able to learn how to move quickly in those conditions without slipping, falling, and hurting yourself.

A thin layer of snow over rock or ice is NOT soft. Don't be fooled. Experiment some place safe, especially at the beginning of the season when you're not used to it.

After the first snow fall, we used to drive at empty parking lots, do donuts, skid, try to recover, etc. I think the same principle would be helpful for PK. All the normal 'look before you leap', 'check your surfaces', rules apply. Start small, build up slowly. Just because you can do a drop, jump or move when it's dry, doesn't mean you can or should do it in bad conditions.

Offline bikket

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 05:20:48 AM »
bikket, contact me privately.  Also, are you sure Zach isn't somewhere near you?  He lives in Rochester.  I'm not sure where you are, but I thought that was pretty upstate, since he's near the Canadian border.
Will do.  Rochester is about three 1/2 to four hours south of me.

Adirondack Mountains?  Anywhere near Capital Region or *furthest* Lake George? If so then I'd love to meet with you. I'll be home for another week before I head back west out to Rochester.
Split my time between Saratoga and Lake George, so yeah, drop a line to bikket@yahoo.  It would be fcking great to learn from a real person! 

Hawaiian weather varies depending on the island, season, and wind direction. Some places get 400+ inches of rain in a year, and others that get 10. I live in a drier area, but even here, we sometimes get a 3" rainfall in one day.

I lived in snow and ice most of my life. Even if "White" was a dangerous and stupid project, you still need to be able to learn how to move quickly in those conditions without slipping, falling, and hurting yourself.

A thin layer of snow over rock or ice is NOT soft. Don't be fooled. Experiment some place safe, especially at the beginning of the season when you're not used to it.

After the first snow fall, we used to drive at empty parking lots, do donuts, skid, try to recover, etc. I think the same principle would be helpful for PK. All the normal 'look before you leap', 'check your surfaces', rules apply. Start small, build up slowly. Just because you can do a drop, jump or move when it's dry, doesn't mean you can or should do it in bad conditions.
Yes!  We call that "controlled skidding," and it improves ones winter driving skills/ skid recovery by a freakin' huge margin.  I love the idea of applying that to parkour!  Great point man!

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 06:22:11 AM »
controlled skidding is a great precision technique to learn, whether it be in your car or on your feet! just remeber, if you do it in your car, make sure it's in a big, wide, empty, open parking lot. ;)

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 11:03:26 AM »

Will do.  Rochester is about three 1/2 to four hours south of me.

Split my time between Saratoga and Lake George, so yeah, drop a line to bikket@yahoo.  It would be fcking great to learn from a real person! 

Ah, I wouldn't have minded making the 25 minute drive up to Saratoga. But I'm headed back out to Rochester this Friday. If you ever feel like coming out for a weekend to learn and experience a jam I'm sure we could arrange something. Other than that I'll be back in the area for Christmas time.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 01:44:06 PM »
shoot me a pm or im me at hardcoretraceur
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2007, 10:01:13 AM »
I'm Zac, by the way... Animus- Sometime's it's better to use handles or "name/handle" when people don't know everyone by name. :)

Bikket- ChadManX and I train in Rochester during the school year. During the.. not.. school year.. I go back home to MD, but you should definitely drop us a line/pm/email/IM. I always love meeting/training with new people.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2007, 11:02:28 AM »
Yeah, I generally don't even consider the handles anymore after I learn someone's name really well.  I see "happydud" and I read "Zach;" "Faelcind" becomes "Rafe"; "LeoNn" is.. uh... Leon.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »
I'm Zac, by the way... Animus- Sometime's it's better to use handles or "name/handle" when people don't know everyone by name. :)

Bikket- ChadManX and I train in Rochester during the school year. During the.. not.. school year.. I go back home to MD, but you should definitely drop us a line/pm/email/IM. I always love meeting/training with new people.

It's looking like a snowy week for Rochester...when you coming back?

Offline mrjack1112000

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2007, 07:00:04 AM »
dude, just  use the snow to your advantage. if there was a drop you were scared to do in summer, try it in winter. conquer your fears, and prepare for your next run in summer.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2007, 02:44:38 PM »
Two Words: Under Armor.
I'm no expert in winter training, and I haven't been a traceur for longer than 3-4 months, but I can say from personal experience that this stuff has helped so much. It keeps you well insulated. Just wearing it doesn't protect from cold more than regular clothes would, but while training and exercise, you generate so much body heat, which the UA keeps in. Amazing stuff, I'd recommend it to everyone.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2007, 03:31:58 PM »
What you wear will depend on conditions, where you're going, and how long you'll be out. If you're just running 40' to the mailbox, and it's calm, no snow and 30 F, you can get by with a lot less than if you're heading into the mountains. Why be stupid and uncomfortable, though? Sure, you can run around in a blizzard wearing only a loincloth if you want. If you do stupid things, realize there are consequences.

If you are training in a cold environment for the first time, learn how to layer. You need your body to be warm enough that it functions efficiently, but not so hot that you're sweating a lot. There's plenty of info out there. Read it. Experiment in a safe place before you head out to the boonies.

Snow piles are not always soft. It depends where you live, how it's been packed, what the day and night temps have been like. A ten foot drop onto rock, and a ten foot drop onto rock covered with an inch of powder -- both will hurt.

If you're scared to do a drop, it's usually because there's something wrong. You probably haven't trained enough, or the conditions are bad, or your body is saying "You're not ready for this, yet." Find out what you can easily do, without fear, and move slowly from there. "Be strong to be useful" - you're not strong or useful if you're injured.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2007, 11:01:30 PM »
i used to live in chicago and toronto. both are northern cities located on the shores of the great lakes. it gets extremely cold in either location. i learned something very valuable about how to deal with that kind of weather. it's called layering. you put on layers of clothing.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2007, 01:15:36 PM »
i used to live in chicago and toronto. both are northern cities located on the shores of the great lakes. it gets extremely cold in either location. i learned something very valuable about how to deal with that kind of weather. it's called layering. you put on layers of clothing.

MYTH!!!  I CALL MYTH!!!

it's cold, brb, gonna put on a sweater     :P

Offline Pfflyeers

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2007, 07:13:46 PM »
Hey vVTalonVv i live in jersey to what town do you live in and what county maybe we could train sometime ok?Oh i live in bergen county by a town called lodi.
Shit happens.