Author Topic: My Parkour Season Is Officially Over  (Read 8125 times)

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Re: My Parkour Season Is Officially Over
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 12:26:52 PM »
It's only bad if you know the whole story behind it. If you look at the video just for what it is at face value, it communicates nicely the idea of training in winter, so it's good to make the point. Any deeper than that, I would agree with you.

Offline Charlie" Frontflip" Chase

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
In my area(Canada) it gets cold as hell every damn day so its actually fairly difficult  i imagine to train in 3 ft of snow in negative 30C weather. But still im going to train what i can indoors and try to find a gym that i can go to.

Yeah, I'm in Canada, too.  Whereabouts are you? 
Im around 100km north east i think from Toronto in a small town called oakwood, what about you?
Also Canadian cities are goo for parkour, when i went to Montreal with my family i was doing a little here and there and it was great.i haven't had a chance to hit up Toronto but i hopefully will in the spring.
What you see depends on what you're looking for.
What is worse Ignorance or Apathy?
I don't know and i don't care.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 02:26:56 PM »
I'm in Hamilton.

Muhammad, I'd probably have to agree on that front, but you can visibly see in that video that most of the performers are not at a high enough skill level to be doing what it is that they are doing in that video.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 05:56:17 PM »
So we are waiting for some of you snowbound traceurs to make a better video to replace it with... *hint hint*

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 07:23:16 PM »
Happydud and I have some good ideas for when Rochester gets pelted next. Hopefully when we go back it will be covered and we can give some good examples.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 09:07:49 PM »
So we are waiting for some of you snowbound traceurs to make a better video to replace it with... *hint hint*

I've certainly been considering it.  I want to take the original concept of White and actually do what we were told it was going to be when we agreed to work on the project.  Dan has said he'll back me if I go ahead with it.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 09:20:46 PM »
That would be cool, if it was made by traceurs for traceurs.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 01:16:54 AM »
the trailer looked fine to me.  some slips, but i figured that's to be expected on ice.  i also figured those traceurs wouldn't be doing something they weren't ready for.
Queen of Puns

Offline vVTalonVv

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 04:36:18 AM »
If I may ask, who is from the NJ/NY area and where exactly are you guys from? I would really love to get together with somebody to jam sometime because it does get a little lonely out there by yourself.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 07:47:20 AM »
Yeah, the trailer looks cool, but there was a bad story behind the production, which is why the full length movie has not been completed.. I wasn't present during any of this, but I have been informed by folks in Toronto that the people were being pushed to perform at a level they were not ready for, resulting in some injuries. I heard one girl was encouraged to jump from something too high for her level, and she broke her ribs. You can see her in this video: http://www.pkto.ca/videos/pkTO_CBC-The%20National.wmv

There were other incidents as well. Many of the traceurs involved quit the production.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 01:36:51 PM »
Wow.  I had no idea.  Sounds like the sort of material for making a documentary about the making of a documentary...

If the filmmakers wanted to accurately portray Parkour, surely they must have known how much Parkour stresses knowing your limits and training safely??

Anyways, my heart goes out to the traceurs and traceuses involved.  Thanks for your heart behind initially being a part of this, and I'm sorry you got so sold out...  Not cool.

Another video made by traceurs... That would rock.  Please do make it.  The community as a whole could use some encouragement to keep training in the winter... (Training safely, that is...)
Queen of Puns

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 01:40:48 PM »
Shes been watching her son play in teh back yard for 25 years?? He looks like 22 at the most.

Dude that kid is doing a great job spreading parkour. I wish him the best of luck.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Moa

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2007, 03:25:15 PM »
I am pretty much at the end of my pk season too, but i want to get stronger and gain muscle mass. Does anybody have any good arm strength exercises, preferably ones that can be done outside of a gym.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2007, 03:30:02 PM »
Laurie, I was a part of the original project.  The man behind it, James, is actually a traceur, but what motives he had behind the White project, I don't know exactly.  He wanted to create something big and something fancy.  I think he wanted to make a name for himself.  Most of the people who performed were very new to the discipline..  Most were under two years, a lot were even under one year.  They were told that landing into giant piles of snow was much safer, even from great height.  There's more to it, too, but I'm not too comfortable speaking about it on a public forum.  You can always reach me privately if you are interested in what happened, though.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 01:20:09 AM »
Yeah, I'd rather not make you revisit such memories.  Again, I'm sorry you had this experience...

But while we're on the subject, how were those "frostbiter" shoes?  I love New Balance and have found no other shoe yet that works for me the same or fits quite as well.  I did some online research and found there's a woman's version:
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7350346/c/9436.html

Trouble is, I don't have $100 just laying around.  I don't even have $30 to burn, actually.  Or $10.  *sigh*

Still, with Christmas around the corner, I'm wondering if these shoes would be worth mentioning to family and friends.  What did you think of them in terms of winter training?  (But I suppose that's more a question that falls under "consumer whores.")
Queen of Puns

Offline Charlie" Frontflip" Chase

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 07:22:19 AM »
Well now my regular training has ended because of the 20cm of snow and ice garnishing my area so now i guess ill get a pair o snow pants and start winter training.
What you see depends on what you're looking for.
What is worse Ignorance or Apathy?
I don't know and i don't care.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2007, 01:04:26 PM »
Yeah, I'd rather not make you revisit such memories.  Again, I'm sorry you had this experience...

But while we're on the subject, how were those "frostbiter" shoes?  I love New Balance and have found no other shoe yet that works for me the same or fits quite as well.  I did some online research and found there's a woman's version:
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7350346/c/9436.html

Trouble is, I don't have $100 just laying around.  I don't even have $30 to burn, actually.  Or $10.  *sigh*

Still, with Christmas around the corner, I'm wondering if these shoes would be worth mentioning to family and friends.  What did you think of them in terms of winter training?  (But I suppose that's more a question that falls under "consumer whores.")

I wasn't one of the performers, but the nail-things that went into the shoes were badly placed.  Basically, one of them was RIGHT underneath the ball of your foot, exactly where you want your landings to be.  Theoretically, this is good because you'll need a lot of grip there, but what ended up happening was that the threaded screwhole (made of steel) would dig into your foot at a critical pressure point.  Even if you didn't screw in the nails, the screwhole hurt like a bitch.  Probably good for standard hiking in icy environments, but definitely not for Parkour or even running.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline bikket

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2007, 12:57:29 PM »
Animus, help me out: I just watched the trailer and I didn't notice anything reckless.  Was there anything on there that oughtta raise a flag?  I'm genuinely curious, because I am officially only four months into the discipline as a study and I've never seen parkour done live (I'm the only one I know in WayUpstate NY), so  not catching what I should be seeing here.  Looks like what I do when I'm waiting for my tip-up's to flag.  If I'm making their mistakes, I don't wanna.  I've been so confident and now you've got me worried about myself!

My view on the topic as a whole: before I heard of pk this summer, I called this stuff "goofing off."  I never had a season for goofing off though.  Winter time was a time to goof off in snowshoes, that's all.  Bear in mind that I live in the Adirondack Mountains and spend a lot of time "out there," and that I idolize squirrels (the best parkour tutors a fella could ask for) the way most APKers seem to idolize ninja, so I'm rarely training near concrete.  But my point is that weather is sometimes also an obstacle, and our focus ought to be to overcome it.  If you can find a way to train safely, I think it's worth it to persevere.  You are bound to learn something, even if it involves stripping down your technique to three or four fundamental movements as you did when you began on dry ground.  That's my overpriced 2 cents.

Regarding Clothing:

DO NOT WEAR COTTON!!  Sweats, hats, shirts, socks, sweatbands- anything.  For those who don't know, cotton will make you very cold when it becomes wet (and training will make you sweat and sweating will make your clothes wet- duh) and has been known to freeze and cause frostbite and hypothermia- both dangerous and life threatening problems.  "Cotton kills" is the primary winter outing axiom among professional outdoor guides- like me.  Even blended fabric with more than 10% cotton should be avoided, including socks and "waffle" style long underwear.   Wool is best if your skin will tolerate it, and most synthetics (polypropylene, EMS's bergelelene, spandex, even polyester) are awesome.  Merino wool is great and doesn't itch like the real stuff- my favorite winter athletic sock choice, but you need to make sure your foot isn't slipping around in your shoe when your socks are not cotton.  Also, make sure your shell layer is breathable, or you will saturate faster than these fabrics will wick, and you will freeze your arse off regardless.  Anyone may pm me with specific questions if they want.  I'm supposed to charge, but the APK world gets me for free as long as nobody tells my boss. :D

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2007, 03:19:38 PM »
bikket, contact me privately.  Also, are you sure Zach isn't somewhere near you?  He lives in Rochester.  I'm not sure where you are, but I thought that was pretty upstate, since he's near the Canadian border.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 10:01:31 PM »
Animus, help me out: I just watched the trailer and I didn't notice anything reckless.  Was there anything on there that oughtta raise a flag?  I'm genuinely curious, because I am officially only four months into the discipline as a study and I've never seen parkour done live (I'm the only one I know in WayUpstate NY), so  not catching what I should be seeing here.  Looks like what I do when I'm waiting for my tip-up's to flag.  If I'm making their mistakes, I don't wanna.  I've been so confident and now you've got me worried about myself!

My view on the topic as a whole: before I heard of pk this summer, I called this stuff "goofing off."  I never had a season for goofing off though.  Winter time was a time to goof off in snowshoes, that's all.  Bear in mind that I live in the Adirondack Mountains and spend a lot of time "out there," and that I idolize squirrels (the best parkour tutors a fella could ask for) the way most APKers seem to idolize ninja, so I'm rarely training near concrete.  But my point is that weather is sometimes also an obstacle, and our focus ought to be to overcome it.  If you can find a way to train safely, I think it's worth it to persevere.  You are bound to learn something, even if it involves stripping down your technique to three or four fundamental movements as you did when you began on dry ground.  That's my overpriced 2 cents.

Regarding Clothing:

DO NOT WEAR COTTON!!  Sweats, hats, shirts, socks, sweatbands- anything.  For those who don't know, cotton will make you very cold when it becomes wet (and training will make you sweat and sweating will make your clothes wet- duh) and has been known to freeze and cause frostbite and hypothermia- both dangerous and life threatening problems.  "Cotton kills" is the primary winter outing axiom among professional outdoor guides- like me.  Even blended fabric with more than 10% cotton should be avoided, including socks and "waffle" style long underwear.   Wool is best if your skin will tolerate it, and most synthetics (polypropylene, EMS's bergelelene, spandex, even polyester) are awesome.  Merino wool is great and doesn't itch like the real stuff- my favorite winter athletic sock choice, but you need to make sure your foot isn't slipping around in your shoe when your socks are not cotton.  Also, make sure your shell layer is breathable, or you will saturate faster than these fabrics will wick, and you will freeze your arse off regardless.  Anyone may pm me with specific questions if they want.  I'm supposed to charge, but the APK world gets me for free as long as nobody tells my boss. :D

Adirondack Mountains?  Anywhere near Capital Region or *furthest* Lake George? If so then I'd love to meet with you. I'll be home for another week before I head back west out to Rochester.