Author Topic: Physical Effects  (Read 1926 times)

Offline lukeownzu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Ron Paul Election Homepage
Physical Effects
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:24:31 PM »
What are the longterm physical effects of Parkour?  Does it harm your body, as does football?

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Effects
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:28:24 PM »
Yea...they are basically the same as in most other sports just knee injuries are more common when doing parkour because of people doing landings improperly.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 07:40:19 PM »
No! There don't have to be any (negative) long term effects! If you train correctly, aren't too hasty and progress slowly, as your body is ready, there shouldn't be anything wrong. David Belle has no knee problems.

Many actually insist that parkour is safer than a lot of sports, because it is all you. If you are focused, and you are living in the moment, and you know your limits, and you train safely, there is no way to get hurt. There is no one else that can be reckless and run into you, or accidentally injure you. Your training is your domain.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:46:51 PM »
I hate to say this but anything active has knee risks.  People who haven't been all that active in their life, and aren't overweight have the cartilage in their knee worn down over time.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
Healthy activity + correct diet has the potential to make your knees less likely to wear down. Inactivity can cause muscles and connective tissues to deteriorate and atrophy. It all depends on how you're living. I think it is more risky to not be active. I myself experienced this. I used to be very active all my life, and then for six years I did very little. During that six years of inactivity, my knees began to hurt! I felt like old age was creeping up on me. Then I started training for parkour. I changed my diet around, and what do you know, my knee pains are completely gone. I also used to have serious problems with my neck. Every few months or so, my neck/upper back muscles would go into spasm, and I wouldn't be able to turn my head. The last time it happened to me, the spasm was so bad, I completely locked up and could not even move the pain was so intense. An ambulance had to be called and I was forced up into a stretcher to the emergency room. The pain was so severe that my body was going into shock, and I was shaking all over. Soon after that spasm was ok again was when I started the parkour training. I was a little apprehensive at first that it would make my neck problems worse, but to my surprise, it has improved that situation. I have recovered much of my lost range of motion, and can turn my head to the left without sharp pain. I haven't had a spasm now since the training begun. I believe our bodies were meant to be exercised, and exercised hard. If you don't use your body, it will degenerate, and become prone to injuries and other debilitations. Regular vigorous exercise, when done sensibly, causes your body to become stronger and more resilient. As long as you pay very close attention to your body when it is hurt, and treat it respectfully, allowing it to rest and heal between training sessions (and especially after injuries), your bones, muscles, tendons and cartilage will respond to the exercise by growing stronger and thicker. You must however make sure like I mentioned before to eat properly, so your body has the right resources available to repair itself first off, and to add extra strength and thickness to  your bones and connective tissues. Of course there are always increased risks of injury when you get more physically active, but if you learn to be highly aware of the condition of your body and work with it accordingly, you minimize the risks and increase the benefits.

So I would say, the longterm effects of parkour depend entirely upon how seriously you take your training and your health. If you take the opportunity in your trianing to learn how to expand your knowledge and awareness of how your own body works, and then use that knowledge to benefit yourself, then in a case like that the parkour would have a longterm positive effect on you body. If you approach parkour not as a discipline, but as a way to show off or just get cheap thrills, without focusing on what your body tries to say to you, then more than likely in a scenario such as that, parkour will not be good for you in the long run unless you learn and change your ways.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:14:57 PM by Muhammad »

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 03:37:24 AM »
That is true Muhammad...I mean i'm not that old...im just 17 but still...I know what you are talking about because of what my dad has told me...but then again he has gotten some new pains as old ones go away...but thats just because he is teaching judo again haha
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 04:32:13 AM »
well that's understandable. that's also very cool that your dad teaches judo. you should learn everything you can from him!

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 08:43:53 AM »
My drawing professor last quarter was an Olympic judo wrestler and now in his old age blames it for most of his joint problems. Whether that's true or not   O.o   I took some judo back when I was training for TKD and it never seemed very destructive. But I never competed or did most of the higher belt level exercises...

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »
His joint problems are probably there because he quit exercising and working out. If you get a chance, ask him if he gets any regular vigorous exercise. I bet his answer will be "no". All one needs to do is look to Jack LaLanne for an excellent example of what regular exercise will do for you body in old age.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »
Ah yes, good point. He doesn't do much but teach and create art.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
well that's understandable. that's also very cool that your dad teaches judo. you should learn everything you can from him!

I have learned a crap load from him...I started doing rolls since I was 4 because of him and can do them perfect now...I spar him every once in awhile and I can get him every once in awhile...but thats because he isnt really trying haha...he could of went to the olympics 3 times...once when i was born so he didnt go, the 2nd when my brother was born so he couldnt go...then like 10 yrs ago for the britsh team because he beat a guy on the british team when my dad was in his 40s and one of his arms was pretty hurt...he is really good...i've only seen him lose twice in a match and they were against the same person.

But Judo and Karate have helped with parkour...well the rolls and landing part...and the discipline part.