Author Topic: Undiscovered aspect to parkour?  (Read 9869 times)

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Undiscovered aspect to parkour?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 01:27:42 PM »
fliping isn't neccesary in parkou r i hope you know. but it is fun.  ;D
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 01:35:10 PM »
We really need that sarcasm smiley...ill get on that

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 01:39:06 PM »
good thinking manilla. Meanwhile ill try to make one with the keys. &) #%) ##) %#)@) !)SA )A DA) DA).....ok no success there......
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 03:05:34 PM »
yeah i know, who would actually just do a simple jump instead??
not I, besides what if it's too high to jump, then flipping might be the best alternative to a vault right ;).

BTW: sarcasm should be a virtue ::).
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 03:26:21 PM »
ive seen some people double leg pretty damn high but other than that, i doubt you can flip higher than you can jump.

Steez

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2006, 03:28:02 PM »
flips can be parkour, but they are not.

my .87

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2006, 03:46:37 PM »
Alright here's another aspect:
Yes, it is true that you should always check your surfaces, and get used to surfaces, but take this in mind:

When people say "how do they do that?!" to any real physical sport sport: say it be a
*backflip in gymnastics
*a controled pike dive
*a kickflip in skateboarding
*even a proper running technique,

it is many times that they cannot "do it" because they are not used to the physical sensation of the action.  Backflips are awkward, because people are not used to going backwards.  A dive is wierd because you stall, and get more height than humanly normal.  A kickflip is wierd when you have no control of the board- Even running, like the awkward pitter patter before a hurtle or vault.  However, as you get more experience in these fields, you begin to get better. Why? Because you are getting used to the split second actions that your body must perform.  After a while, you become aware of the movements(after repitition), and you sson are able to have a concience awareness of what are you doing.  You then open your eyes and are able to make small tweaks in backflips; able to control a slow half twist in diving; able to flip the board an extra 180 to make it a varial flip, and make better strides in your running.

Point is, that as you get more experience, you begin to have faster reactions.  So hypothetically, say you took this "true" excercise or parkour.  I mean you usually look for a positively accesible area to kong over-BUT say you always took this "blind" jump over the fence.  At first, you would freak out, say like in diving...but as you continued to do these "blind" jumps, you would make faster and faster reactions, like you talked about. You would get faster and smoother at thse random jumps, as your body would get used to making these quicker decisions.  Now i'm not saying go make blind jumps off of cliffs, but rather this post is limited to your fence problem...

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2006, 03:52:43 PM »
I dont have a problem. YOU GOT THE PROBLEM MAN! hehe i think jumpoffmyroof put it into good context for all of us. Good post jumpoff!
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 05:40:22 PM »
ive seen some people double leg pretty damn high but other than that, i doubt you can flip higher than you can jump.

Say theres a rail or fence that is 5 1/2 feet tall, now I can't jump that high but I can dive up and over and flip it though. I have lots of objects that are to dangerous to tough that are about that height so I flip them ;)

flips can be parkour, but they are not.

my .87

I totally agree with you on that one.

Quote from: jumpoffofmyroof
that as you get more experience, you begin to have faster reactions
Good point (sarcasm yet true and confusing if you understand what I'm saying) lol.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2006, 05:57:20 PM »
Say theres a rail or fence that is 5 1/2 feet tall, now I can't jump that high but I can dive up and over and flip it though. I have lots of objects that are to dangerous to tough that are about that height so I flip them ;). 

ok then post a video of you jumping this 5.5 ft. obstacle and then you flipping it. id like to see how effective they are.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2006, 07:42:23 PM »
i think this can be solved using a simple, over-used phrase.

flips are not parkour, dont try and argue your points about why they might be, because it has all been heard before, and its all been proven wrong. Im really sorry to break it to you all. im not really sure how this started.  :P

but just to avoid this little argument once again, just stop here.

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 08:05:33 PM »
^^^ Do what he says, please, please^^^ i dont think i could take another "flips and parkour" argument. :)

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006, 09:53:33 PM »
It's strange how so many topics seems to go down the "flips" road.  It is really starting to get annoying to me, we have a few topics specifically aimed towards the "flips" subject.  Though Please don't bring them back to life unless you really really need something clarified.  I'm sure that the community wouldn't want to get involved in a huge debate against just a couple of people (it's happened before and it's not pretty).  So now that thats out of the way. 

I really enjoy just running through whatever is in my way, though I don't like to just vault something that doesn't look too sturdy to me.  Maybe eventually I'll be good enough to just jump straight over the barrier, but for now, whenever I see something like a frail fence I look for other ways to get to the other side.  I know that looking for other ways is probably not very efficient, but for now I'd rather play it safe.  I really can't risk hurting myself.  So, I'm just gonna keep training on safer stabler things for the mean time.  Eventually I will succeed at greatness, it just might take a little longer compared to other people ;)
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 01:32:58 AM »
It started cause I made a joke one that was accompined by not one but to smilies to indicate it was joke. I had hoped that this subject had been cleared up to the point that one could make a joke about it, apparently not.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 03:51:01 AM »
i relly like to parkour through my invironment, i dont know that many moves but with what i know i can still do it. kongs, cat leaps, rolls, speed vualts, and wall runs. you dont need to know everything to the lets say "Tricking" of parkour. You just need to know the basics of it and how to live through it and flow.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 12:27:43 PM »
Say theres a rail or fence that is 5 1/2 feet tall, now I can't jump that high but I can dive up and over and flip it though. I have lots of objects that are to dangerous to tough that are about that height so I flip them ;). 

ok then post a video of you jumping this 5.5 ft. obstacle and then you flipping it. id like to see how effective they are.

I don't feel like making a video so watch the DvinskClan-LeParkour video to get an idea, surly you have seen this Demon. Go into that video about 57 sec. and you will see him do a dive frontflip over a rail that is probably 5 feet tall maybe a bit less in that one. Now with a bigger drop off you will have more time to flip making it easier to flip over a higher object and on flat ground. In the video he could have just konged it but I am talking about untouchable objects that are to high to just jump, I don't know about you but I can dive higher than I can jump, all you need to do is flip when you clear it. You could also use a flip to slow yourself down from a large jump which is very uncommon and you can definitely use a flip to cover more ground in a jump or a bigger gap if done right.

Now I am not starting another flips are not parkour argument because I didn't mention that until now did I, flips are not Parkour period.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 04:22:46 PM »
right, but the dvinsk clan video is not a parkour video.

far from it actually.

end discussion please, again, its all been said, every situation with flips. were not going back through it again.

Offline kaos

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2006, 07:12:59 PM »
Going back to what Demon said...I would really like to see that video comparison.
Parkour creates communities, not rivalries. Keep competition out of parkour.

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2006, 10:29:20 PM »
OMG STFU  :-* <--("noob")

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"