Author Topic: What kind of music are you into?  (Read 8657 times)

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
What kind of music are you into?
« on: November 13, 2007, 06:59:21 PM »
Hard rock/heavy metal
disturbed, linkin park, Korn, 3 days grace
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline FFCloud6

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of music are you into?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 03:38:15 AM »
Classis Rock mostly.
Cheap Trick, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ACDC, Boston, J Geils Band

i do listen to some new stuff though
Nickelback(cant get Rockstar oughta my head for days when i hear it.), colin hay, and lazlo bane(thank you Scrubs for introducing me to these two. p.s. Scrubs rocks)
Carpe Diem

Offline milffhater

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:57:46 PM »
AC/DC kicks ass (so does Scrubs)
I love classic rock (playing it and hearing it) but not really hair bands from the 80's.
I like stuff like the Offspring, Chili Peppers, and Blink.
Beastie Boys are the best rappers ever (and they're white)
Honestly I really cannt stand most newer music,
       (exceptions White Strips, Ausioslave, and Wolfmother)

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »

Although they are very good, I would have to argue on the GOAT rating. But thats just my opinion.

I listen to just about everything but heavy metal. I don't understand how people like it. The only good part is SOME of the actual music, but half the time you can't understand what they're saying. I know that's only for some bands, but it gives the rest of the bands a bad image. My favorite genre of music, though, is rap, but only oldschool stuff. None of the new pop crap, like Soulja Boy(<-- worst "rapper" ever).

Offline Acewall

• Mangabey
  • He's half black!.....No, he's 50%!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 05:05:20 PM »
I like alotta kinds of music. Rock and alternative mostly.

Red Hot Chili Pepers, Sublime, The Academy is..., Audioslave, Bestie Boys, The Beatles, Beck, Blink, Bloodhound Gang, Cascada(everytime we touch), Cobra Starship, Cold Play, Daft Punk, Fall out Boy, Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz, Green Day(older stuff), Gym Class Heroes, Head Automatica, Hellogoodbye, Jet, Hendrix, Kanye, Zepplin, Lifehouse, Lupe Fiasco, Maroon 5, Modest Mouse, Nas, Nirvana, Oasis, the Offspring, Panic!, Paramore, Peral Jam, Queen, Third Eye Blind, Train, White stripes, Wolfmother.

Those are my fav bands/artists.
"Does this work?...Let's call some bitches."

Offline FFCloud6

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 05:10:02 PM »
HEHE soulja boy is doomed to be forgotten. He made it famous by creating a dance craze. can any of you tell me another song or current location of the macarena guy or the walk like egyption girl? and though i dont wanna cause a argument. i actually do like some rap but i have to share a joke with you.

Why is music just like candy?
You always throw out the rappers.
Carpe Diem

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 05:28:56 PM »
I listen to everything.. from jazz to death metal.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline mmuir

• Patas
  • Parkour, it's not a sport, but it's a lifestyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 06:35:34 PM »
Chevelle, linkin park, Powerman 5000, atreyu, rob zombie, bullet for my valentine, and a lot of others.
First we crawl,
Once we can crawl, We Walk.
Once we can walk, We Run.
Once we Run, We Flow.

Offline Michael -PKFR

• Patas
  • Michael Hartwig
    • View Profile
    • PKFR International
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »
Eminem - D12
Rock
Michael Hartwig -PKFR International

Moa

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 07:04:09 PM »
Classic rock, like tom petty
Folk like bob dylan

Offline milffhater

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »
Tom Petty is the man too (I like him with the heartbrekers better though, his solo career was a little fruity). And Acewall is that your whole play list, its even in alphebetical order (except for the Chile Peppers and Sublime). Yeah Sublime is awesome too.

I listen to just about everything but heavy metal. I don't understand how people like it. The only good part is SOME of the actual music, but half the time you can't understand what they're saying. I know that's only for some bands, but it gives the rest of the bands a bad image.

I Strongly agree.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 02:53:26 PM »
Okay, in the regard of death metal...  I feel the need to defend it.  By "half the time you can't even understand them", I assume you mean stuff in this vein:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJBuDiGpLI

Death metal grunts are a stylistic touch that takes a LONG time to perfect, but I doubt I'm going to win anyone over by saying that it takes talent to do.  I just feel the "it gives the other bands a bad image" thing needs to be touched on..  because I feel that a lot of OTHER bands give metal a bad image.  Sorry, but I'll sooner listen to Cattle Decapitation (a band I don't like) before I will listen to Trivium (a band I abhor). Metal is about a lot of things.. progressive metal is just about musical complexity, for instance.  Power metal is about telling fantastic stories.  Death metal is about rage.  And there's a lot to be angry about in this world.  By showing us how bad it can be, we can work to make the world a better place.  Death metal is an outlet for the darker emotions of being human.. and it's natural to have those emotions.

Personally, I LOVE death metal vocals, just as much as I love operatic vocals, or bluesy vocals, or a great pop vocal.  It gives me a strange sort of joy to hear so much anguish, outrage and violence in a simple tone of voice.  It reminds me that we're all human.  And unlike you, I can understand DM vocals quite easily.  It takes time to be able to understand what they're saying, and some vocalists are easier than others, but eventually, you end up understanding it pretty well.  It's not like you can understand some singers out there any better.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Acewall

• Mangabey
  • He's half black!.....No, he's 50%!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 03:09:02 PM »
lol....I was listening to my ipod at the time so I just scrolled thru and picked all my favorite artists, lol... :-Sarcasm
"Does this work?...Let's call some bitches."

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 03:07:28 AM »
Okay, in the regard of death metal...  I feel the need to defend it.  By "half the time you can't even understand them", I assume you mean stuff in this vein:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJBuDiGpLI

Death metal grunts are a stylistic touch that takes a LONG time to perfect, but I doubt I'm going to win anyone over by saying that it takes talent to do.  I just feel the "it gives the other bands a bad image" thing needs to be touched on..  because I feel that a lot of OTHER bands give metal a bad image.  Sorry, but I'll sooner listen to Cattle Decapitation (a band I don't like) before I will listen to Trivium (a band I abhor). Metal is about a lot of things.. progressive metal is just about musical complexity, for instance.  Power metal is about telling fantastic stories.  Death metal is about rage.  And there's a lot to be angry about in this world.  By showing us how bad it can be, we can work to make the world a better place.  Death metal is an outlet for the darker emotions of being human.. and it's natural to have those emotions.

Personally, I LOVE death metal vocals, just as much as I love operatic vocals, or bluesy vocals, or a great pop vocal.  It gives me a strange sort of joy to hear so much anguish, outrage and violence in a simple tone of voice.  It reminds me that we're all human.  And unlike you, I can understand DM vocals quite easily.  It takes time to be able to understand what they're saying, and some vocalists are easier than others, but eventually, you end up understanding it pretty well.  It's not like you can understand some singers out there any better.

Well, it may take some talent to do the grunts, but it sure doesn't take as much talent as if these guys could actually sing. And unfortunately, I have no idea whether they really can sing or not, or whether they have training or not, because they choose to grunt instead of really sing. And also, there is a difference between not understanding the words a singer is singing, and not being able to tell if someone is even speaking English. Heavy metal is the latter. And as for the different sub-genres of heavy metal, I think I will never understand what they are and what they mean, because as stated, I do not like metal. And a couple examples of bands that I think give metal a bad name: GWAR (these guys are idiots, who have little to no skill), and any band that uses death metal or heavy metal just so they can talk about the horrible things in the world. Not everything is horrible, and angry, and so I don't see the reason why some bands have all angry songs on their albums.

Sorry if that sounded argumentative, but its 4 in the morning, and I can't really vocalize what I'm trying to say in a...um...good?...manner.

Offline Charlie" Frontflip" Chase

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 07:20:26 AM »
I listen to a lot of techno, electronica and metal. I find it gets me pumped up for when i train. I sometimes listen to some really old classical cause its just fun to do.
What you see depends on what you're looking for.
What is worse Ignorance or Apathy?
I don't know and i don't care.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 10:28:25 AM »

Well, it may take some talent to do the grunts, but it sure doesn't take as much talent as if these guys could actually sing. And unfortunately, I have no idea whether they really can sing or not, or whether they have training or not, because they choose to grunt instead of really sing. And also, there is a difference between not understanding the words a singer is singing, and not being able to tell if someone is even speaking English. Heavy metal is the latter. And as for the different sub-genres of heavy metal, I think I will never understand what they are and what they mean, because as stated, I do not like metal. And a couple examples of bands that I think give metal a bad name: GWAR (these guys are idiots, who have little to no skill), and any band that uses death metal or heavy metal just so they can talk about the horrible things in the world. Not everything is horrible, and angry, and so I don't see the reason why some bands have all angry songs on their albums.

Sorry if that sounded argumentative, but its 4 in the morning, and I can't really vocalize what I'm trying to say in a...um...good?...manner.

Same band:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFFWDUhuMDg  Now you know he can sing.

GWAR give MUSIC a bad name, not metal.

And no, not everything is horrible and bleak, but not all of life is about your girlfriend breaking up with you, or sexy ladies, either.  What's your point?
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Yixin (pronounced ee-shin)

• Patas
  • I am Yli
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 10:59:55 AM »
Let's see. Primarily metal of all kinds, with a great deal of other stuff too.

Death Metal:
*Vital Remains
*Cannibal Corpse
*Necrophagist
*Bolt Thrower
*Death
*Morbid Angel
*Usurper
*Burial Ritual
*Malevolent Creation
*Marduk

Black Metal:
*Immortal
*Emperor
*Darkthrone
*Gorogoth
*Goat Annihilator
*Goatwhore
*Children of Bodom
*Azrael (I'm starting to notice a pattern here...)
*Salem
*Aztec
*Massemord

Thrash:
*Metallica
*Slayer
*Exodus
*Annihilator

Deathcore:
*All Shall Perish
*Facedowninshit
*Achilles
*Requiem

Progressive:
*Dream Theater
*Eldritch

Groove Metal:
*Pantera
*Lamb of God (LAMB OF GOD, LAMB OF GOD, LAMB OF GOD, LAMB OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!)
*Devildriver
*Triplever
*Gojira
*Down
*Fifty Caliber Kiss (IMO, one the best names for a band ever)
*Machine Head
*Sepultura
*Six Feet Under
*Soulfly
*Throwdown

Metalcore:
*Pro-Pain
*Bloodlined Calligraphy
*Uprising Nation
*Built Upon Frustration

Not Metal:
*KoRn
*Nine Inch Nails
*Disturbed
*System of a Down
*Some Slipknot
*Rap of all kinds
*Techno of all kinds
*A variety of classical music
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 11:03:42 AM by yli »
"Madness.  (Sparta, etc.)"-Graham Hughes

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 02:25:04 PM »
Same band:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFFWDUhuMDg  Now you know he can sing.

GWAR give MUSIC a bad name, not metal.

And no, not everything is horrible and bleak, but not all of life is about your girlfriend breaking up with you, or sexy ladies, either.  What's your point?

Sorry about the first part, I wasn't actually using Opeth as an example of a grunting guy that couldn't sing. It just seems that way with most death metal bands. They never produce tracks where they really sing, so I can't tell if they can or not.

GWAR, definitely, yes, they give all music a band name. Unfortunately, their chosen genre is metal, and so if someone listens to GWAR and then someone else tells them its metal, they might think all metal is like that.

For your last point, no, not all your life is about your girlfriend breaking up with you, or sexy ladies. But some of it is, and from the few metal cds I've heard (and I say few because I cannot, in good conscience, pass judgment on all of them, obviously) all the sing about is horrible and bleak. All the other cd's I've heard, their is a big variety as to what they are singing about. I have the same argument with emo bands, because they think no one lives them and that life is all horrible and bleak. But they are a different story...

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 03:54:55 PM »
Metallica(Master Of Puppets)
Black Sabbath(War Pigs)
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 04:27:54 PM »
Sorry about the first part, I wasn't actually using Opeth as an example of a grunting guy that couldn't sing. It just seems that way with most death metal bands. They never produce tracks where they really sing, so I can't tell if they can or not.

GWAR, definitely, yes, they give all music a band name. Unfortunately, their chosen genre is metal, and so if someone listens to GWAR and then someone else tells them its metal, they might think all metal is like that.

For your last point, no, not all your life is about your girlfriend breaking up with you, or sexy ladies. But some of it is, and from the few metal cds I've heard (and I say few because I cannot, in good conscience, pass judgment on all of them, obviously) all the sing about is horrible and bleak. All the other cd's I've heard, their is a big variety as to what they are singing about. I have the same argument with emo bands, because they think no one lives them and that life is all horrible and bleak. But they are a different story...

I'll concede your point there, but music doesn't need to reflect life as much as it reflects aspects of life.  So DM can be just the angry parts.. I certainly don't listen to blues and expect it to take on every aspect of existence.  Different music for different moods.  My favourite band is a very soulful and beautiful progressive rock band called Marillion.. Absolutely gorgeous music, but again, not something I can listen to all the time, even if they have a wider variety of subjects than most bands out there.

And yeah, most DM bands aren't gonna do anything but DM grunts.  Just like most pop singers aren't going to sing opera.  I fail to see how this is a legitimate point against the genre.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia