Author Topic: Handstands; How long did it take you?  (Read 18025 times)

Offline Blarg

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My 'Space
Re: Handstands; How long did it take you?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 07:13:52 AM »
Well, Sunday at the gym, Cent brought up something that he learned about handstands to me. Apparently, I've been focusing on using everything but my hands to control my balance, when I guess I was supposed to be focusing on using my fingertips. For example, when you're falling forward, push down/back on your fingertips. And when you're falling back, push with your palms. Been trying this out for a couple days now, and I can see and improvement  ;D
AIM me if you're near Chester, VA n wanna train...
Me: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/the_blarg_ninja/100_2701.jpg
Now stop asking.

Offline MysticNinja

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 07:25:50 PM »
I can do 1 for about umm 5-10 seconds  ;D lol thats not good. me and you are going to get it very good! lol.

I practing these everyday while im trianing.  Ive actually never timed  mine but i count in my head lol.

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007, 05:46:27 PM »
1:mysticninja you laugh out loud alot and 2: i can now get for a mind blowing 3-5 sec. THATS not that good
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Canavi

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 07:27:10 PM »
Take a semi-flat tennis ball and squeeze it all day at school, do it evenly.

Makes your grip really strong.
North Carolina Parkour/Free running
www.ncparkour.com

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 08:58:05 AM »
It really is a matter of practice. Take me for example -  I've never practiced and although I can do lots of other cool stuff, I STILL can't hold handstands for longer then 5 seconds  :P
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 11:22:54 AM »
It really is a matter of practice. Take me for example -  I've never practiced and although I can do lots of other cool stuff, I STILL can't hold handstands for longer then 5 seconds  :P

This is an example of how a "learned skill" works. In a general sense, when dealing with learned skills    more practice = more skill. In Leon's case   less practice = less skill.

Offline constellationcancer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 03:41:58 AM »
FINGERTIP PUSHUPS!

Offline vVTalonVv

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 01:26:32 AM »
I can hold a handstand for a long time if I am aloud movement. I can only do a really still handstand for maybe 5 seconds.

I seem to arch my back a lot for some reason. I guess I'm having trouble making my body perfectly straight because when I attempt at doing so, I lose my balance. Also with handstands (I believe this goes with my arching) that my lower back hurts after doing a few.

Any tips on keeping your body straight as an arrow? I know I possess the physical strength for it, I guess I just repetition right?

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 01:47:17 AM »
I can hold a handstand for a long time if I am aloud movement. I can only do a really still handstand for maybe 5 seconds.

I seem to arch my back a lot for some reason. I guess I'm having trouble making my body perfectly straight because when I attempt at doing so, I lose my balance. Also with handstands (I believe this goes with my arching) that my lower back hurts after doing a few.

Any tips on keeping your body straight as an arrow? I know I possess the physical strength for it, I guess I just repetition right?

You don't need significant strength for a hand stand. A good handstand should seem very fluid and semi relaxed. Don't try and go into the handstand sloppily. Practicing like this hinders your learning ability as it tends to reject your body's alignment.

Keep your hands straight above your head, locked arms, with your legs straight. If you need some help keeping your body straight, do it right against a wall.

Work mostly on your hand strength. Dig your fingers into the ground to keep yourself in one spot. think of your wrists as a hinge, and your rigid body a door.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 12:06:15 PM »
You probably need to work on your shoulder flexibility.

Work handstands with your *body facing the wall* and move your hands as close as you can get them. So to get up into them you need to start facing away from the wall and walk your feet up the wall to handstand. Everything should be tight. Try to hit the slightly hollow position with your body with just your toes touching the wall in this position with the hands about 2-3 inches at most from the wall.

Once you get the feeling of doing it correctly your forearms will tire before your shoulders. That how you know you're doing it right.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 04:09:48 PM »
Steve is the handstand guru. Listen to every word he says. It will help better than anything, I promise.

Re: the hands...

in yoga there is a concept known as the "index root" which is basically the knuckle where your index finger meets your hand. In inverted poses and handstands this is where your body should "root" through the hand. I actually imagine a root growing out of my hand at that point, gripping me to the ground, when I do a handstand.

For handstands you need to work on strength and also proprioception for balance. Some people are better in one half of this equation than the other; the important thing is to figure out if your problem is a strength issue, a balance issue, or both. I am still working on the strength to hold a handstand. I can find my center of balance easily enough, but my arms start to tire quickly and then I get wobbly and lose my balance.

Re: abs...

Situps are not a good way to develop strength in the abdominals. They can be a good start, but they are incomplete and don't really train all the abs, nor do they train the abs to work in unison to accomplish physical tasks.

More to say on this but my incredibly naughty pizza is here and I'm starving. ;)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com