Author Topic: Handstands; How long did it take you?  (Read 17156 times)

Offline Almeza

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Handstands; How long did it take you?
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »
         Hey everyone, when I first joined this website I realized that I could not do some of the excercises that showed up in the WOD, one of them was the handstand... so i have started practicing handstands for the last four five days... I think my record so far is 4 seconds of a solid, balanced handstand (Is that good for the amount of time put in?). Anyways... I know people vary in many different ways IE: Strength, Endurance, Weight, etc. etc., but I was just curious... How many days did it take you to be able to do a handstand for say... 45s-1min.?
PS: My problem is my underbalance... I am always falling towards the palm of my hand! What do i do?

Input would be excellent  :) thanks!

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
Re: Handstands; How long did it take you?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:40:27 PM »
A good amount is about 1 min of about 1-3 sets per day about 6-7 days a week.

Most people can't do a handstand without walking for more than 10s. I can hold one for about a minute.. but I've done gymnastics for a while so I'm probably not a good gauge for that though. With the above schedule if you stick with it you should get there in a few months.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Almeza

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:46:23 PM »
Ok cool so I guess the name of the game is practice, practice practice... thank you very much for your reply... I will keep on it :).

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 10:47:10 PM »
Took me a couple months training on my own. It goes much faster when you have someone with you to point out exactly where you are going wrong.

In regards to your "underbalance" issue I had the same issue a couple months ago. To counter-act that problem I started over compensating for the loss in balance by gaining more muscle strength in my fingers and forearms. I've only recently started to convert to a press up style, so before as I dropped into my handstand I would push myself just a tad bit further than where I knew my center of balance was and used my strength to ease me slowly back into position.

It just takes time and I was so motivated to do them right that I would do literally hundreds of 10 second holds a day. What you can hold a handstand for right now is perfect. A handstand is a learned skill which means the more you practice the more skill you will develop and the more your body will adapt to it. You'll get it soon. Once you get into double digits you should see a huge increase in hold time.

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 06:08:46 AM »
I've been able to do them since I was something like 6. My mom taught me.

Really, it's mostly about concentrating. Focus is the key.

It may sound dumb, but the things you can do when you're focused are amazing.
Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 06:42:17 AM »
If your holding for 4 seconds that means there is probably no real stop of motion...as soon as you begin to hold the handstand you can start really feeling it in your forearms and shoulders.  Just remember when balancing its all about a nice straight body and then the wrists and fingers take over from there.  Its all a balancing act with the push and pull of the fingers.  It takes I would say many many months of strick practicing and conditioniong to get a handstand for at least 30 secs.  Though, one day you will just understand it...and then you will progress faster.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Almeza

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 07:50:32 PM »
Many of you are saying that fingers is the key... and i am seeing that now. Just out of curiosity are there any exercises i can do with my hands/wrist that will help strengthen them? ( I dont have one of those spring-loaded devices that you squeeze).

Offline Almeza

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 07:57:47 PM »
     Darn, I missed my time to edit the last post.

Anyways I have thought of a possible theory myself as to why I have too much underbalance.
When I train my handstands I do them on carpet, since the majority(in my case) of the force is being supplied to the wrist area could my wrist be creating a dip in the carpet which would throw off my balance on the handstand? Is hard floor better to train on because It is solid?

PS: Thank you for all the help, I appreciate it.

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 08:34:15 PM »
Even if it does, it would be so small it would have no apparent effect.

Plus, if you screw up...you'll be happy you were on carpet.
Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 09:12:20 PM »
Yes there are exercises you can do.

http://aikido-kokikai.uchicago.edu/members.html

Scroll down that page and follow the Nukkyo, Kotegaeashi, and Sankyo exercises. Very effective at strengthening the wrists.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 10:56:58 PM »
that shouldnt be that big of a problem...when I learned them...it was mostly on foam.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 08:44:03 PM »
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Almeza

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 09:26:00 PM »
     Ok, after reading that last excerpt provided to me via link, I went to practice again and got a couple good handstands in, I feel it starting to improve already. My balance is Improving also. Thank you all for your input and advice. I will keep on it and hopefully I will be able to perform handstands much better now.

Offline tohitsugu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 08:59:49 AM »
It took me about 4 months to get them solid. When I first started I was lucky to hold it for more than a few seconds. In my opinion, The only way to get better is to practice practice practice while focusing on good form. My record now is just under two minutes. Do lots of pushups and handstand push ups to gain strength in your arms and hands. It also helps to use a wall to help balance you to get comfortable being upside down. I started on carpet and moved to concrete as I got more confident. Hand balancing is a lot of fun, and you can play with it a lot once you have the balance and strenght. Try muscleups to handstands, or add it into a freerunning jam sometime

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 05:05:08 PM »
i started them about a week ago and can do a good 5-8 sec assisted(wall) hold
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Almeza

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007, 10:31:52 PM »
 I am fairly build in my upper body I can hold myself up against a wall for a while but I just need to work on my balance primarily, it is hard stuff! But i am gonna keep on practicing and eventually i will improve.

Offline canman44

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 02:51:38 PM »
When I was a kid I used to have handstand competitions with my sisters and my Dad (who was really good), anyways that put some motivation into gaining proficiency.  Also when I wrestled in high school we would to tumbling before practice, like sommersaults and what not, but one of the things that we would do is try to walk across the wrestling mat on our hands.  Believe after you start practicing it everyday you begin to get better.  I can prob hold it for a good 45 sec to 1 min now, but I haven't timed myself in a while. Just keep at it and like someone said earlier something usually seems to click and you just feel like you have better balance. After that it's just how long you can usually concentrate on good form.

Offline Stav Bendor

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »
i was just wondering which muscles a handstand helps with, namely i was curious about abs
Pro Parkour - Against Backbiting

Offline John [sss24] Chadwell

• Patas
  • I didn't do it officer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 06:40:26 PM »
my abs thinks they are better than me and just to mock me i did 300 sit ups a day for nine months and i have a beastly 1 pack to show for it >:(
Break free for the bloody shackles of society, and flow like water in a river. We Are Free.

''We take the bridge, at dawn''

You are getting arrested for doing kongs in a precision only zone.

Go with the flow-HA, I am the flow.

Offline Stav Bendor

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 07:20:03 PM »
well, thats something isnt it, but it doesn't quite answer my question. also there is other stuff besides sit ups that help make abs better
Pro Parkour - Against Backbiting