Author Topic: Where would you be without parkour?  (Read 11291 times)

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
Where would you be without parkour?
« on: January 27, 2006, 06:16:35 PM »
Well I was thinking again (even though my doctor told me it was bad for my health ;)) and I began to wonder "where would I be now if I hadn't discovered parkour?"  I realized that I would probably still be sitting at my computer all day playing video games (or stuck in the marshmallow bin at safeway).  I probably would be in much worse physical condition, and I wouldn't have the motivation to go running everyday.  My physical ability would have stayed mediocre and I would still be eating junkfood on my coach.  I would still be seeing borders, limits, and fences in the world around me, and of course I would not have been prepared for track season this year.  After thinking about all of this it really made me realize that parkour is extremely good for you, sure you may get a few injuries every once and a while, but usually it's not anything too serious (as long as you stretch ;)).  If you ever need an argument for parkour I think I've found one, just explain what your life was like before you found parkour.  Of course this might not work for everyone because I know there are those people out there who are just naturally extremely motivated, hurray for them! :D  I wish I was that way, but now that I've "embraced" parkour I really don't have a problem with motivation.  This topic is basically just to explain how different your life was before you found parkour (if you hadn't guessed that yet) I think it will be very interesting to see how much of an impact parkour has made on our culture, or I guess just community for now ;D
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline RyanV

• Patas
  • There are 10 types of people in this world.
    • View Profile
Re: Where would you be without parkour?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 09:27:17 PM »
Before Parkour, life seemed more stressful. I never had a problem with motivation, but it always seemed i got so wrapped up in other things that there was no way out. When I found Parkour(or Parkour found me  ;)) it gave me an escape from the world and all of its hassles. After a long day, me and my friend Evan(who registered on APK today wooo) would go out and just run. We would go to the elementary near my house and just vault series of rails and drop offs. It was the perfect realease from the day and all of its responsibilities, nothing to worry about, just you and your environment.

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 09:30:09 PM »
I would still be on my couch playing video games every day for 6 hours a day
because of parkour i hadnt touch a vid game in about 4 days in a row.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline RhayneD

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 10:07:18 PM »
A stressed, mean person that never took life or anyone seriously.

That, or dead. Seriously downing, but true.
"Definition is not the grand path. It is understanding that is the true destination." -RGM.
"Forget blood. Parkour runs through MY veins." -RGM

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 10:40:24 PM »
I would still be on my couch playing video games every day for 6 hours a day
because of parkour i hadnt touch a vid game in about 4 days in a row.

I used to be the exact same way. I haven't touched a game in a long time my self. Then again this has been a relativly dry game year.....no blockbuster hits.

Offline kaos

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 05:41:21 AM »
I would be in the same place physically, but not the same place mentally.  Parkour is one of several things that has opened my eyes to a more complete way to live.
Parkour creates communities, not rivalries. Keep competition out of parkour.

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 08:14:16 AM »
Whitout parkour i be a nerd that loved his studies and never got out much.I would have been oicked out (like the past year without parkour)Nor would i have my hot girlfriend so, parkour has change my self estem to try new things.(football,baseball,track,swimming,GIRLS!)And to tell you the truth im glad i got in trouble and had to stay home besides go to the mall or i would nvm have discovered it on tv.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline LeftistRevolution

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Revolutionary in my own mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 12:40:06 PM »
Parkour is the reason I'm getting back into shape. Therefore without parkour, I wouldnt have the determination to stick with diet and exercise.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »
without parkour i would have nothing to dwell on. i'd be pretty much bored with life because i had no hobbies or specific interest...all i did before i found out about parkour was sit around and try to figure out what to do with myself.
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Steez

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 06:14:48 PM »
i would not be on the track team
i wouldn't be sporting these sweet merrells
i would be in a lower state of physical prowess
i would still be so very limited by....things
i'm more confident now, i can jump over things! hell yea! (seriously, parkour has made me way more confident)
i would still be resorting to video games too often when boredom rears its ugly head
i am never bored if i have access to a {insert commonly appearing piece of enviroment}
i would be...less effective (best way i could put it) in general
i wouldn't know all of the great people i do now because of parkour. (SLCPK FTW)

also, i tried skateboarding once, after a year i still couldn't ollie.  i gave that up.  i'm not that great at biking, either.  parkour gave me something that i can do, and be good at.  If i didn't have access to skis and snow, i was just plain, not that great at anything special. (movement-type/sport/urban things)  what's more, parkour can be done almost anywhere. (sucks to be a skater)

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 06:19:18 PM »
Id probally be stuck walking in an empty amusment park line that loops over it self ovev and over. next time i see one of them i will destroy it with vaults lol

Offline Jon Bellomy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 11:10:23 PM »
Without Parkour, I wouldn't know you guys.  ;)

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 11:53:36 PM »
I'd probably be a better gymnast  ;D . Still its worth it.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 12:08:19 AM »
without parkour, i have no clue where i would be because the 2 biggest influences in my life right now are:

a.) parkour and related activities.
b.) my girlfriend of nearly a year who i met at gymnastics open gym (because i went there for parkour).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 07:16:55 PM by Demon »

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 04:06:24 PM »
I wouldn't really be as intrested in life as I am right now, for all I know I might not even be here (alive). I also would have never of found a reason to find my limits, mental and physical limits.
Without parkour I would be a wreck.

BTW: ever since I started Parkour I have had a 4.0, yes a 4.0 lol.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 07:31:14 PM »
I don't know if you guys notice this, but almost everything you have been stating here can be used as a very powerful argument for parkour.  It seems that parkour has been a great tool to change people for the better.  Though it wont really keep us off "the street" ;D, it still helps to shape up our lives for the better (at least most of the time by the looks of it ;)).
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 06:33:08 PM »
hellz yeah. without parkour. i would probabley not be hanging around baltimore so much....wait....wait a second! parkour has increased my chances of getting my white ass shot! haha
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 07:14:46 PM »
Where would you be without parkour?

Still in your mother's bed, sucka.

Seriously, Parkour has changed my life in so many ways, on so many levels, its effects on me are infinite. I addressed some of them in my Essay (which I think is still on the front page if you want to read it).

Offline FCBredsox500

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 02:39:13 PM »
I think that it would suck if there wasn't any parkour. It's really fun to do and it can help you get healthier and you can get around faster. Or just do it for fun. I do all of those. I usually practice 4 days a week. I love it. I don't know where i would be without parkour.

Offline Tony64

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2010, 05:30:22 PM »
I completely agree with this thread, in a sense parkour is more of a lifestyle than a sport its something that you must be very commited to. you have to be willing to sacrifice almost everything for parkour. I would be a completely different person had i not discovered parkour. I hope you all feel the same way.  ;D