Author Topic: Why do you do parkour?  (Read 7975 times)

Offline Andrei Semenov

• Patas
  • Can't beat the feelin'
    • View Profile
Why do you do parkour?
« on: October 25, 2007, 08:50:54 PM »
There are many answers to this question, and your answer has probably changed since you started parkour, heck even with skill levels you may find your answer changing.

My question is, why do you get up in the morning and decide; today I will do parkour?
Why do you make the choice every day? What motivates you?

I have an answer I just haven't put it into words yet.

This question comes from watching the Q&A with David Belle in New York.

Did perpetual happiness in the Garden of Eden maybe get so boring that eating the apple was justified?”

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you do parkour?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 09:38:05 PM »
You know i think about this sometimes and i can never come up with one specific reason.  But pretty much everything that comes with doing parkour is great. I mean you have getting stronger, pushing your body and your mind beyond want you might think you were capable of, meeting so many great and different people, seeing new places(and of course seeing old places in new ways). Those are all reasons I do parkour.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 11:11:52 PM »
The first parkour videos I saw made me think: That would be a incredibly useful skill to have. After watching a few more videos over the course of a few days, the idea solidified in my mind that this was something I simply had to acquire. I was driven to pursue it.

Offline ZeroAlphaEnigma

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 03:01:03 AM »
hmm...well one for me that was always in my head was the mentality part. some people do it to get stronger, or see the world in a new vision, but mine is for the mind. getting over your fears, and just figuring out that you can do it if you tired and pushed your self to do it is i think the number 1 reason for me. becuase you can put that into other aspects of life afterwards which is very useful.
Traceur In Training

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 04:22:07 AM »
It's fun

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 07:39:35 AM »
I have two reasons for doing parkour.  One is that it would be an extremely useful skill to have if I ever need to get away from something or to something really fast and efficiently.  The other reason is more philisophical.  My body is the only thing I will ever truly own and I'm stuck in it for the rest of my life, so I may as well learn how it works.  That's also why I've done years of martial arts and gymnastics.  It's my personal opinion that everyone should really learn everything they can about how their body moves and what exactly it can and can't do...cause you're stuck with it for as long as you're alive.

Offline psycosis12

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 07:53:40 AM »
I do Parkour because hwen I'm with other traceurs I forget about all my problems. It's like a release for me. All the stress, anger, and what have you are non-existant when I'm going at ledge. Plus it's like excersizing without excersizing. Keeps me in shape. Also, keeps me doing something positive and gives me something to do than staying at home and being bored making myspace layouts.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 11:37:33 AM »
I agree with most of the above and also...

I love the community aspect of Parkour and how much people help eachother. I have not yet found any other activity that even can compete with this. I think it comes from the bonding we share because parkour is so unknown to the public and often misunderstood. We all understand [not necessarily agree with ;)] eachother. Every true traceur/traceuse that I have ever met was always willing to help even the feeblest beginners. That is one of the main things that draws me to parkour(...among everything else good about it).
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Sammaron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 03:54:56 PM »
I'm with that one guy who said it was fun.

Offline Sammaron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 03:55:36 PM »
I'm with that guy who said it was fun

Offline Sammaron

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 03:56:23 PM »
Heh. My bad.

Offline buysplendidpie

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 05:59:45 PM »
It helps me calm down. I dont have to think about whatever is going on I can just go and concentrate on the movement and for a little while nothing else matters. Parkour is something that nobody can take away from me and I do it because I cherish that its real, that I can define what it is. I dont feel like parkour is something I do for recreation, I feel like I am parkour and no matter how hard anyone tries nobody can judge me because its not about what I'm doing or where I am going its about the journey up to that point.

now to get deep on you...jk, i hope thats not too convaluted im sick and i cant train, ha i guess thats what an idle mind produces...

Offline Mike.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 07:33:28 AM »
To me Parkour is fun, useful, and cool. The first day I started (being stupid though) I was at my elementary schools jungle gym vaulting over stuff, and on the way home, I couldn't stop shaking... the adrenaline and excitement was just too much for me. I probably barely slept at all that night... the only thing on my mind was Parkour Parkour Parkour Parkour. When I woke up in the morning and went to school, what did I want to do? Parkour. So much that I didn't pay attention in half my classes. And the useful part is nice too, because it is useful. Being able to run somewhere and not be held back by anything is a reason not to use a car I guess  ;) And, Parkour makes you extremely fit. That first day after I came home, I was sore the next day from all the exercise... literally all over. And then it's cool because people gather around and watch you, and knowing that you just ran up a wall or vauled over a table is just awesome.

Offline milffhater

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 07:43:50 AM »
One day I want to be able to outrun ever person but not be faster than any of them. I want to loose them behind me over a set of rails and a wall. Or escape with a cat leap that they cannot do. I want to be able to control my body in ways people cant. And till then Im just having fun and getting into shape. Right now Im in the best shape of my life and I have much more body awareness. And traveling to spots to train is awesome. I love just walking to a sick location.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 12:54:50 PM »
To help others and ensure that I will always be capable of helping others.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 12:56:12 PM »
Animus is actually only in it for the booty ;p

Offline ZeroAlphaEnigma

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 02:13:15 PM »
Animus is actually only in it for the booty ;p
HAHAHAHAHHA ;D
Traceur In Training

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 02:21:18 PM »
sorry guys, it was getting too serious in here. had to break things up a bit with some stupidity.

Offline ZeroAlphaEnigma

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 02:54:43 PM »
muhammad, did you know your avatar thingy is very addicting to watch O.o
Traceur In Training