Author Topic: Poorly Written  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Josh

• Patas
  • CHIEFTAIN PK/ Movement 101
    • View Profile
    • Chieftain PK
Poorly Written
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:36:35 PM »
This is a terrible article from the Central Florida news please give corrective feedback
here is the link ->  http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2007/10/19/ninjalike_moves_marks_extreme_sport.html
"Repetition of the simple is NOT a waste of time. Practice of the advanced without the perfection of the simple IS a waste of time." ~ Rick Henry

"Train in what you usually wear. Zombies won't wait for you to change out of your jeans."~ Patrick Yang

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: Poorly Written
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 06:16:48 PM »
Yeesh.

Here is what I sent them:

Dear Sirs:

The article that ran in your online edition on Friday, October 19, headlined "Ninja-Like Moves Marks Extreme Sport" disappointed me.

While I understand that a journalist is often under space restrictions with which to tell a story, the information given in that article was, at best, misleading and misrepresentative of the discipline of parkour and was not exemplary of thorough journalism.

Firstly, parkour is not an “extreme” sport. Rather, parkour is characterized by discipline and a dedication to self-improvement. While some of the movements in parkour may wow a spectator, it is no more “extreme” than the movements of a dedicated martial artist or high-caliber gymnast.

Secondly, parkour is not a martial art. It shares many characteristics with martial arts, such as the aforementioned discipline and dedication, and that it is a physical discipline; however parkour is not used in any kind of combative way. It can be argued that parkour could be used defensively, i.e. to escape a dangerous situation, however this does not, strictly speaking, make it a martial art, and its practitioners do not consider it so.

Consequently, as parkour is not a martial art, those who practice it are not martial artists as your article claims. Those who practice parkour are referred to as traceurs (men) or traceuses (women).

Nor is parkour a sport. It is most certainly athletic and physical in nature; indeed it requires an outstanding level of physical fitness. However to call it a sport only gives part of the picture. A more appropriate term to categorize parkour would be to refer to it as an art or a discipline, as any reputable source on the subject will tell you. It appears that many false conclusions were drawn by your journalist after limited contact with the traceurs featured, and from such conclusions an inaccurate article was written for public consumption.

I was pleased to see that the members of Renzhe parkour with whom your journalist spoke were quoted as valuing a respect for their training environment (as evidenced by your journalist’s inclusion of the quotation from Rob Ray). This is a value held by all serious traceurs and hardly the attitude of one who engages in “extreme” activity as your article attempts to suggest.

It is difficult to ascertain the intended tone of your article: was it to expose the public to an emerging new discipline? Or perhaps to hint at some sort of friction between the traceurs featured and the university officials? I am not certain what it is your journalist hoped to accomplish here. The end result is an incomplete, inaccurate misrepresentation of an emerging discipline and those who practice it.

I encourage your journalists to research more deeply into this subject, to check their facts, and to have a clear sense of purpose if and when they choose to tackle this topic further. There is a wealth of information available, and there most certainly is an extraordinary story there. I am happy to recommend excellent resources for future articles.

Respectfully,

Alissa J. Bratz
Madparkour
Madison, WI

Too mean?

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Josh

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Chieftain PK
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:49:10 PM »
no not at all I told them basically the same thing.
"Repetition of the simple is NOT a waste of time. Practice of the advanced without the perfection of the simple IS a waste of time." ~ Rick Henry

"Train in what you usually wear. Zombies won't wait for you to change out of your jeans."~ Patrick Yang

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:07:16 AM »
Not too mean at all, Muse! Very well-written, in fact. Below is my reply to them:

To Whom It May Concern:

Thank you all for giving the subject matter of the above mentioned article your time and attention. That matter being Parkour and Freerunning, of course.

I am deeply concerned and somewhat outraged at the tone of the article, however. I feel that the author missed so much of what Parkour is, what it isn’t, and its great benefits to individuals. He/she who wrote this article didn't seem to take the time to research very thuroughly. The only focus of the article seemed to be that Parkour is “extreme”, dangerous, or “ninja like”. The author also seemed to have a predisposition towards portraying those affiliated with the Renzhe team as underhanded or subversive of the university's wishes for them to practice on campus. Very sad.

Here are some corrections:
Neither Parkour nor Freerunning has a focus on "jumping from building to building." This represents a gross misconception and possibly inability to retain information on the author's part.
One of the tenets of Parkour is SAFELY pushing one's physical limits. Incrementally. Over time. This omission is gross negligence on the author's part, once again.
Some of the many positive things that Parkour or Freerunning provide to a practitioner are improved physical strength, endurance, usefulness; camaraderie and friendship with fellow traceurs; motivation towards a salutary lifestyle; a creative or even meditational outlet for many. Talk to anyone who has been practicing for a little while and the list will go on and on.

I would suggest that your news group either hire reporters who properly research and objectively convey information, and/or retract/replace this story with an accurate portrayal of Parkour, Freerunning, and the Renzhe team.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Hunter Neiblum

• Mangabey
  • Be Free my friend......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 05:46:19 PM »
lol
It is not that things are impossible that we don't dare... It's that we don't dare that things are impossible.

Winter's Bite, clouds black as nite, the suns light, torretial rain, and a hint of pain-   Performance At My Best

Offline Josh

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Chieftain PK
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 06:58:50 PM »
are you laughing about the article or what the posters said? Either way you really shouln't be laughing. I enjoy a good laugh once in a while but this is a serious thread trying to give the public a bettter understanding of what we do,and also to better the media to tell then what else to write and what they should fix. Sorry if this offends you Rock! .

Offline Nik "Nik" Horvat

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:51 AM »
That was a pretty bad article.  Good emails from both of you.  +1.  ohfomehxr remember to spell check. Thuroughly should be thoroughly.  Also, I think "ninja like" should be "ninja-like", but I'm not 100% sure on that.  It might go either way.  Hah, sorry for being a grammar Nazi.
"All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible."
-William Faulkner

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 12:16:38 PM »
I'm kind of surprised a group like Renzhe would back up an article like that. You'd think that they would read through it before it was published. Unless the newspaper changed it between them reading it and it being published. Anyone here from Renzhe have an idea as to why it was endorsed?

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 04:36:10 AM »
That was a pretty bad article.  Good emails from both of you.  +1.  ohfomehxr remember to spell check. Thuroughly should be thoroughly.  Also, I think "ninja like" should be "ninja-like", but I'm not 100% sure on that.  It might go either way.  Hah, sorry for being a grammar Nazi.

DAMNIT!! "thoroughly" is like one of the few words in the English language that always escapes me. Thanks for the heads up. :)

schuby:

Maybe they didn't have any control of the piece after the interviewer/author visited them, you know? I think that's often the case - that when the writer leaves, they tend to publish the story w/o any sort of "approval" from the group of traceurs featured.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 04:37:50 AM by ohfomehxr »

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Feral Demon

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 01:21:11 AM »
Jason of Renzhe:

As I've been working like a mad man over the passed three weeks to make sure I can get my apartment next month I haven't been very active on the internet. I just haven't been on the computer much. Either way. We definitely told them something entirely different and they spun it the way they wanted it to come out. We sent our own versions of the same emails as well. Also that night there were a couple of sets of other barbs against parkour on the radio. We went through procedure of trying to explain to them that it would probably be better if they just spent a couple of seconds to read something as small as a single page of written definition on what parkour really is.

Either way. I am speaking for myself at the moment as I just got to this at 5am in the morning and wanted to tell everyone that I was sorry that fell out into the verse in all of it's levels of wrongness.

Any questions on what we had said then go ahead and ask. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability as I was only there for the end of the interview with Sean.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 10:05:49 AM »
Yeah it was pretty clear, at least to me, and I'd venture to say to most people, that they took the words and actions of experienced/serious traceurs and twisted them into something different than what was intended. After a certain point, no matter how careful you are and how appropriately you portray parkour, there is only so much you can do once the information is in the reporter's hands.

Hopefully they will right their mistake. Keep us posted. :)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com