Author Topic: Spaghetti  (Read 1355 times)

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Spaghetti
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:33:41 AM »
Hi,

Is enriched spaghetti a good way to get good carbohydrates into diet? I know guy from trickstutorials.com eats pasta.
I just think I lack energy before practices since I don't eat enough calories for my weight (I'm quite a huge guy). As I started eating sandwhich with peanut butter and honey 1-2 hours before practice I felt completely different.

But now I also want to try eating spaghetti, ham and cabbage (like right now :) ) for breakfast.
Is it good?

The only bad sides of this I see are:
1) Spaghetti is processed food.
2) Aesthetics of dish with spaghetti, vegetables and meat make me feel uncomfortably french.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: Spaghetti
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
I think you have to look at what you hope to accomplish with your diet choices to determine whether or not a choice is "good" for you or not. As to your other concerns:

1. Spaghetti is processed, yes; but no more so than the bread you eat your PBJ on. I assume you eat whole-grain bread. I'd suggest whole-wheat spaghetti, at least. You can also get protein-enriched pasta (Barilla makes a good one), or pasta made from a less common grain like spelt.

2. You needn't worry about feeling French with a meal like this. The French don't eat like that at all. ;)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

descalco

Re: Spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
I would skip the enriched spaghetti, and get whole grain spaghetti. Also, there are other forms of spaghetti besides that made with wheat (although they all undergo some processing, they are still nutritious). There's spinache, hemp, and quinoa pastas for example. They tend to be more expensive though, and really, wholegrain wheat pasta is fine, healthy, and delicious.

.sean