Author Topic: the David Belle Demo ("Pretty much all of it")  (Read 5267 times)

Offline Zuxzux

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: the David Belle Demo ("Pretty much all of it")
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 02:53:06 PM »
Yeah the interview wasn't great thanks to the translator IMO.

The second vid was cool but i almost had to kill myself thanks to the music after the first song. WTF is that crap????

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »
Gap up top felt about 10.5 of my feet length.

It was so exciting just sitting there listening and watching. I felt like a little kid watching his super hero talk!!! Every time he looked at me and winked it was a huge inspiration. I'm training harder than ever now and I have this weekend to thank! I highly HIGHLY recommend hanging out with Belle any chance you get. I'm no idolizer and I don't respect him just because he's Belle, I respect him for the amount of skill he has and for his personality  ;D Dino from Germany was also an exciting person to jam with. He knew his stuff better than anyone there and those 'warm-ups' were not what I considered warming up hahaha.
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2007, 04:57:22 PM »
Both David and Dino were very approachable, and they made an effort to spend a little time with everyone who participated. We were not only able to learn a great deal of information from them, but we were also able to joke around and have some fun too while we were at it. It was a very positive experience in that aspect.

..and like Leon said, those warm ups were something else. My training partner Joseph memorized all of those exercises, and today we incorporated the whole set into our conditioning routine. After what we saw this weekend, we have changed our training schedule to six days per week, with some days reserved for conditioning only.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 07:39:43 PM »
*cries*

I sooooo wanted to go. I am so completely bummed on all the learning I missed out on! I would never in a million years have tried out to be in the demo; my skill won't even be close to that for probably at least another 5 years, but just to observe the training and talk to Belle, would have been such an incomparable learning experience.

Huo, is it traducteuse or traductrice? All my dictionaries are at school, but traductrice sounds better to me. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, though, by any stretch. Also, for "vault" I would either just use "sauter" or I would use the actual name of the specific vault (saut de chat, demi-tour, etc.). Not sure if there is a separate word for "vault." Again, wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

In any case, she was an interpreter, not a translator, so it would be "une interprete." :P (Just a picky thing of mine). In her defense, I believe the interviewer said, "She's really a lawyer." My guess (if he was telling the truth and not just joking) is that she's a bilingual lawyer for the New Yorker who was sort of pressed into translating at the last moment. Pure speculation there, though; she may be someone on Belle's staff, or someone they hired from a language firm. Honestly I have no idea. She wasn't that bad, though; interpreting is hard. The level of mental fatigue is huge and it sets in really fast. Also, you have to find someone who knows not only both languages but also the specialized vocabulary and culture of whatever you're interpreting for (e.g. someone who is bilingual and has a medical background for a doctor's conference, or a traceuse for a parkour demonstration, for instance). :) She may not have had a sufficient background knowledge of parkour to support her language services adequately.

The one thing I kept noticing was she was mistranslating "fasse," (third-person singular present subjunctive of the verb faire). He would say, "Ce qu'on fasse pour..." (That which one does for...[something or other]," and she would hear, "face," which theoretically could be the third-person singular present indicative for the verb "facer" (to face) if such a verb existed in French, and I don't believe it does. So she would translate it as, "That which one faces for...[something or other]." As mentioned, I could be wrong and I could have misheard him. There is certainly a ton I don't know about French. And as mentioned, interpreting is hard work and requires a lot of specialized background knowledge in addition to language skills and mental stamina, as well as advance preparation. Often the hardest thing is to establish a rapport/rhythm with your client so you know when to take turns speaking, and that can take some time to develop. For a truly bilingual person, it's understandable that she would forget which language she was communicating in (it happens to me all the time). Both make perfect sense to you, so you don't realize that you may not be understood.

Whoa... I just really geeked out there for a second. :p Sorry guys.

I kept looking for Leon in the video, he's just so darned bouncy! :) This whole thing has inspired my training so much. I have a new plan of attack now...as soon as my hip heals up. I'm also utterly determined, now, to meet David Belle some day. As mentioned, just listening to him talk gave me a whole new perspective on so many things. It was all stuff I'd read and heard before, but somehow coming directly from him it made sense in a different way.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2007, 07:58:29 PM »
Muse, you could have participated. There was a nice girl there named Anne who did. She was the only female present, and it was only her sixth day training for parkour! She was so embarrassed she wanted to run away, but Dino grabbed her and said "Where are you going! We need you here, you're the only girl!".

Also, my son Anwar was registered as a participant and present for both the audition and the demo. He signed his own release waiver and everything :)

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 08:20:26 PM »
I think you are right about Leon, and if I remember correctly, he was the first person to do it. lawl!

Haha its funny you mention that, i was wondering were leon was, most of the time in this vid. you'd see him for a second then he'd dart off somewhere lol.

But i figured Leon would probably try that since he's a precision BEAST.

I saw where Leon was ;)

He was behind those concrete block walls, invisible to the crowd, doing wall runs and tic-tacs that defied the laws of physics!

For those of you who do not know, Leon has like two separate personalities. He showed up looking hip and trendy, with his emo haircut and fashionable clothing; quiet, polite, friendly, and unassuming. Then he changed into his parkour gear, and his other persona became apparent. Suddenly, as Joe Torchia put it, his chin was up, he looked taller, and seemed totally within his element (400 confidence!). He then proceeded to blow everyone away with his huge wall runs and stuff. Seriously, I saw him tic-tac up onto the edge of a wall that must have been 12 feet high. It was like he just floated up there. I also witnessed him jump from a low concrete bench and do a one-handed climb-up on a wall that was at least 8 feet high like it was nothing. LOL

Offline HuoMaKe

• Patas
  • Be a Master of your Environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 04:18:19 AM »
So, did Frosti paddle back here from China or take the plane? :p

I hope he's fast, whatever it was, because he has to be on mah TV tonight!
There is no "better," there is only "different." -Me

May the Flow be with you. -Beans

Offline HuoMaKe

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 04:25:15 AM »
Dumb time limit. EDIT:
Muse, -trice does sound better. I just threw in "euse" when I saw "eur," that should teach me! And I always thought that "passement" meant vault, but I guess I wasn't really sure on that one...Oh! I got it from the Wikipedia article. That makes sense.

It's too bad this was during the school year, though, or I might have planned a trip out. Great job to everyone who went! :)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 04:39:11 AM »
That precision is HUGE!
The first person I ever saw do it was Forest about 2 years ago. He's awesome.

as for this:

Pleeeease tell me they saved that set...and that they're going to keep it up until...well, until I can get out to New York....

you'll have to come to DC not New York, we rented a truck and brought home the two vault boxes for use at Primal :)

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 09:33:00 AM »
Those vault boxes were preeeety nice! Well worth the effort I'd say.

Offline HuoMaKe

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 11:14:05 AM »
Bugger, that means I need to take a longer road trip :)

I think I'll do that this summer, though, take a long trip to Madison, Chicago, Boston, New York, DC...it'll rule.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 01:10:43 PM »
Thank you for the compliments Muhammad  :)

I think the people who deserve the most respect were the ones who listened to David's requests (like yourself!) and didn't do anything crazy, the ones who showed Parkour as a safe, hard discipline that helps you develop coordination and determination!
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Hoff

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 01:53:16 PM »
I filmed most of that with my video camera!  And so did jonnyo

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 03:59:13 PM »
Bugger, that means I need to take a longer road trip :)

I think I'll do that this summer, though, take a long trip to Madison, Chicago, Boston, New York, DC...it'll rule.

Please do! You'd be welcome any time! Funny thing, Madpk is planning a massive "Parkour Learning Tour" road trip next summer. I hope we don't miss eachother.

It looks like there was a good group, there, in the video, of actual "real" traceurs; i.e. those who are more interested in personal progression and learning than being crazy. Glad to hear that was the case.

I keep watching the video... it gets me so motivated!
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline HuoMaKe

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
Thanks for the invite, Muse, I'll post about that as details arise. We'll try to organize so we can all visit each other, I'm sure :)

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2007, 04:34:16 PM »

Be sure to share it with us!

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2007, 04:37:37 PM »
Thank you for the compliments Muhammad  :)
I think the people who deserve the most respect were the ones who listened to David's requests (like yourself!) and didn't do anything crazy, the ones who showed Parkour as a safe, hard discipline that helps you develop coordination and determination!

I couldn't have done anything crazy anyway. My jumping foot was hyper-extended before the New York event, which was limiting my ability. I also saved most of my energy for actual training with the New York and New Jersey local crews. I spent every waking moment training with them during my stay up there, and that left very very little time for actual sleep!

Offline milffhater

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2007, 07:07:54 AM »

Be sure to share it with us!

This is what they filmed, I mean we all went up and I planned out all the trains and stuff. But without Hoff's camera none of that footage would be online. Thanks to you Hoff you've made some very happy people. And Jonnyo took over and filmed some off that stuff too. You guy had the best view though; I was stuck so far behind some people it didnt quite seem fair. Behind people that I'm pretty sure couldn't give two shits less about pakour.