Author Topic: TRIBES NEW DVD  (Read 9719 times)

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: TRIBES NEW DVD
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2006, 03:40:49 AM »
Ahhh, you would be right in that case andi. I meant it in the most literal sense, to do a speedvault just to do a speedvault. not to get anywhere, but to practice doing a speedvault. this is why i mentioned
you might be showing a friend what a kong looks like, or just drilling kongs, etc
.... so i could drill the point further. i know you understand what i meant by it.  ;)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2006, 05:39:23 AM »
I think there are two things going on in this thread, and they are common problems in our little microcosm :)

MLW:
might solve a problem of what exactly is going on with this DVD.

OK, the "Problem" here is that THERE IS NO PROBLEM.

Personally, I don't give a shit what other people in the community think we should call it and EXACTLY how it should be worded. As I said in my first post about this (note the message hasn't changed here) This DVD is for the beginners to learn some of the basic movements that will later help them as they learn Parkour. The other thing I said is we're not going to even try to please everyone.

Now, the other thing going on is the whole "what is parkour and can it be defined by movement".
I've said for a while now that I will write an essay on "The progression of learning Parkour" ... and this is a good time for it, maybe I'll do it next week on my vacation.

The "problem" here is that people (including Andi) can very easily use both sides of the same argument when it is convenient.
I can say "one move isn't parkour" and be right (because of the circumstances, etc)
I can say "one move isn't parkour" and be wrong (because of the circumstances, etc)

This same thing can be used with flips and ANY other movement, shape, physical effort that the human body can make.

So, the real "problem" to me here is that people like adversity. We like to have something to argue about, we like to have something that gets us fired up, and this is what makes us great, it is part of what being social and inquisitive creatures is all about.

As for the "Can one move be parkour" argument, I'd like to say for beginners, telling them that is too confusing, it is better for them to grasp the concept by thinking of more than one movement, so that they get the concept of "urgency" even between movements. Because I believe that Parkour is a concept and not a description of a physical activity.
However then, once someone has a grasp of the concept, I believe you can talk about single moves, flips, whatever else and have a reasonable discussion.
The IMPORTANT part to me is NOT to CONFUSE people who are new to Parkour.
Me, American Parkour, the mods, we're not here to try to educate people who know what Parkour is, they don't need it. We're hear to help new people understand it.
The DVD is not meant to teach people "What is Parkour", it is meant to teach people basic movements that will be useful to them once they learn Parkour.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2006, 06:16:30 AM »
Tribe has not shown us directly what they represent but we all assume that they will try to represent Parkour in its fullest.  I know that in Dispersion a DVD released by APK with the clan from VA-Parkour, they did Parkour and flips.  This is just something I don't want to go wrong with this New tutorial DVD, try to represent what True Parkour is all about. (The mindset, the philosophy)

Dispersion was first made with no intention at all to be released by APK specifically. We started it and had finished film quite a bit before the APK site was totally up and running. Dispersion was shot over the summer of 2005 as a Mike Yamrus / Merry Men project that we had no idea what was going to happen with it. APK popped up and The Merry Men in all of their merry goodness wanted to contribute some content to APK to help it become a well respected site with... well... good content!
I think you've been on the message boards long enough to know at least most of the Tribe Members level of understanding of Parkour and desire to represent it *bangs fist on chest twice then throws out peace sign* I hope that clears up any misunderstanding of Dispersion.

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2006, 06:41:40 AM »
Yeah, Dispersion was done as a Merry Men/VA Parkour production...no affiliation to APK or Tribe....

It is the fact that Parkour is a mindset...

Isn't parkour action? Since actions are stronger than word/mind?
In this sense, the "fundemental/tutorial" DVD makes sense.  It is a culminating effort between "The Tribe" to offer the visual and analytical breakdowns (in their words at least) of the "common" "moves" or parkour.  Yes, it is true that you really can't learn something until you try it and until it becomes clear to you(I remember, that I couldn't get a kong for the longest time no matter how many videos and tutorials I read), but it does help.  You are able to get so much inspiration and help from even WATCHING something.  Personally, I can't learn anything new unless I watch it happen and work it out in my head(like tricking)....  On the same note, isn't UFF releasing a "tutorial" video too? whats happening with that?

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

BULLFROG

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2006, 06:44:48 AM »
that is so true, about drilling the basic movements till you become alot more proficient at them. when i first started training, i did do stutter steps and just "vault" and land, and thats it, then walk back around and vault again, and land, etc...etc, people don't think about trying to work on the little things of the movement, like take-off ( split-foot takeoff), control of your body while in the air, the hand placement on the object, the pushoff gaining the height and distance you want, then into a smooth landing to run.

it took me awhile to comprehend the actual doing it smoothly, quickly and none of this vault and stop-landings.

what alot people don't understand is that doing the movements isn't parkour...its just a medium to achieve your goal.

through drilling and "perfecting" movements that you will be able to do parkour with ease and effiencency.

hopefully the dvd your guys are working on, will convey that message of drill the basic movements but also talk about being safe and not going for the big stuff.

oh, one more thing..i'm pretty sure you guys will say on the dvd the difference between doing parkour and training for parkour, but i'd just like to be safe and ask if you are.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 07:05:57 AM »
just like to be safe and ask if you are.

Again, MISSING THE POINT.

You'd like to be safe? Wear a helmet :P

What if we do? What if we don't?

What will be the outcome for the new people who buy the DVD? That is the important answer in my mind, not "what this community FEELS should be the perfect wording and everything that needs to be said in EXACTLY a certain way".

There is a very clear description of "What Parkour Is" on this site for example. Could it be better? YES! Of course! Could it be worse? sure. There is a very clear definition on PAWA ... could it be better? YES!

There is no "One size fits all" solution for things. things almost always need supporting information and context to be properly conveyed and understood.

So, everyone is welcome to buy a copy of the DVD when it comes out and do a full critique, either word for word, sentence by sentence, or however they choose, but it won't change the product, and it won't chenge the product's effectiveness in helping new people understand some of the basic movements that are useful in Parkour.
Be Useful.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 07:12:00 AM »
I am truly please to hear from you M2.  I guess there was a conflict in my mind.
The DVD is not meant to teach people "What is Parkour", it is meant to teach people basic movements that will be useful to them once they learn Parkour.

Thank You for answering my Concern.  So it is great that you have said this because it gives some backing to what the DVD is all about.  I never meant to argue with anyone on this matter I was just concerned.  I hope that the message you portrayed  M2 is able to be conveyed the way you want in the DVD.  I was not trying to be argumentative but from my past history of defensiveness I might come off that way.  BEST OF LUCK TRIBE.

OK...there is no VA Clan.  I said clan, because it is a culmination of people getting together to practice something.  I didn't mean exactly they they were a formal group.  Although, they have shirts and stuff, I don't know what you would call them.  I guess just a group of practitioners.

About Dispersion and APK-  I understand that it was done during the summer.  Although APK has to take responsibility for anything that they are "sponsoring" on their front page.  This is why there is an association between the two.

Mods- Akh I in no way am trying to degrade the value of the knowledge and ambition to share that knowledge of the mods.  The only question that I had has now been answered.

Jumpoffmyroof- I could have explained parkour as an action but you have to have the mindset to have the action or you could be doing FXW or something.  Also Tribe just Sprung from Zeus (M2) head.  I understand that they have nothing to do with dispersion.

Thank you again M2 for flatting the situation.  I am happy that Tribe has chosen this way of explaining "Parkour."  THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!!
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2006, 09:11:10 AM »
Excellent! And thanks for the luck, although I hope we won't need it!
I suppose it should also be mentioned that the people buying the DVD will have gotten word of it through the site and hopefully will take the time before or after to explore the "What is..." and "What isn't..." sections along with philosophy!

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2006, 11:10:36 AM »
And its the va-parkour BAND of merry men. we are a band, not a crew/clan/orgy/etc.

lol.

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2006, 12:34:23 PM »
Wow...I expeted more...upriseing then acheivement...I just might make it after all *throws up hat -marry tyler more style-*

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2006, 01:25:30 PM »
And its the va-parkour BAND of merry men. we are a band, not a crew/clan/orgy/etc.

lol.

So.. a band has members but there not bound together like a clan. It's basically a clan but less together, sort of what we are here in OHIO. We all train together and interact constantly but were no Krew/clan, we just live in Ohio.  ??? It really is a bit confusing, maybe you (the tribe) would be better off being a clan or just the worshiped of AmericanParkour lol.

In all it really doesn't matter does it.

BTW: what are you talking about Mathew?
*throws up hat -marry tyler more style-*
? w/e even though it might be a good idea to find out.

P.S. I still might buy a copy to show the new peoples here, it may come in handy. ;)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2006, 01:41:16 PM »
in my opinion the band is a close group of friends that basically run the va-parkour scene which consist of VA MD and DC (VA being the best of course). I think they mean to say that, yeah we're together, but we pk with any/everyone. sometimes clans just train with each other and exclude everyone else like a secret club...but they are not. They're a great group of guys that spreads parkour in a positive way!

I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

BULLFROG

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
M2 - i'm just saying that if a beginner to parkour, watches your dvd, that the movements you are showing/teaching will make him/her believe that, thats parkour...which as we all know its not.

so i was just wondering if either through a disclaimer or actual audio/video you will tell the "audience" that movements aren't what makes parkour, and that all your doing is showing them the basic movements that they can drill and practice and that they can use to achieve their goal in a parkour situation.

i have no problem with you making the dvd or anything like that, all i'm hoping for is for the dvd to inform them that parkour isn't all about movements, you don't have to go into the detail of explaining parkour, its definition and concept, just to make it clear parkour = not totally about the movements.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 01:47:35 PM by BULLFROG »

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2006, 01:48:49 PM »
in my opinion the band is a close group of friends that basically run the va-parkour scene which consist of VA MD and DC (VA being the best of course). I think they mean to say that, yeah we're together, but we pk with any/everyone. sometimes clans just train with each other and exclude everyone else like a secret club...but they are not. They're a great group of guys that spreads parkour in a positive way!

You've never been in a band have you. What do you think you do in a band, you don't play with other bands, you play with your band  ;).
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2006, 02:22:10 PM »
Oh good, let's argue about what a band is :x

Please, this is the Parkour Topic, let's try to keep these discussions useful!!

The quality of these forums depends on all of us!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:23:41 PM by M2 »
Be Useful.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2006, 02:26:53 PM »
Oh good, let's argue about what a band is :x

Please, this is the Parkour Topic, let's try to keep these discussions useful!!

The quality of these forums depends on all of us!

I agree, I am done.  BTW: Bullfrog is waiting for an answer ;).

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2006, 02:38:08 PM »
just further clarification. Flippusmn, you said a band is like a crew only it isnt bound together. think, past tense of band is banded... but thats not right, the term for banded is bound. how can a band not be bound.

and for even further clarification, why are you taking it THIS serious?  :P the name is obviously a joke, our little way of poking fun at people who get caught up with being in a crew, lol.

no more debate about this guys, M2 is implying that if our current trend continues, the quality of the boards will go down. i still have hope, so dont screw it up please  :)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2006, 11:02:38 PM »
Bullfrog.  You are basicly stateing what I have stated.  It was answered and I found myself to be a merry man myslef. 

Side note- Merry Tyler Moore....you un educated @#$)@&# LOL j/k It was a show on Nick at Night.  At the end of the SONG and Opening Sequece she throws her hat up in the air when the song shouts out...I THINK I AM GOING TO MAKE IT AFTER ALL!  I hope that clarified it for ya.

BULLFROG

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2006, 05:56:22 AM »
where was it answered, i don't remember?

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2006, 07:50:22 AM »
my second to last post on page 2...I quote M2.