Author Topic: TRIBES NEW DVD  (Read 9678 times)

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
TRIBES NEW DVD
« on: January 23, 2006, 11:59:26 AM »
         I was thinking about a lot of what has been said about Parkour on these boards, mainly by Mods.  One comment that has stuck in my mind the most is "A speed vault is not Parkour."  I understand the context in which it was presented.  I guess their would be two different ways in my mind to create a tutorial DVD.

1.)  The "Actions" put forth which what can propel you through your environment.  The turn vault, monkey, dash, turn vault etc.

2.)  The mind set.  The philosophy of which has been set in motion.  Also the way that many treat Parkour as a discipline close to martial arts or yoga.

The way that many of the mods her on APK which consequently are those that are mostly in TRIBE, tend to describe Parkour more in the second fashion.  So this will be interesting what Tribe chooses to do in "TEACHING" those who know nothing about Parkour. 

I do understand that the official Information will come out before the DVD is released.  I think that this is a big deal if Parkour is represented in a wrong way.  Although, what is the wrong way?  All I guess I have to say is that there is a lot that rides on this tutorial DVD being portrayed accurately.  I know that APK is good about being very general in their explanations of what they represent.  I guess this is why they have titled this DVD, Tutorial DVD, because it doesn't say what the tutorial is representing; aside from  parkour that is for new traceurs.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:11:49 PM by Matthew Lee Willis »
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: TRIBES NEW DVD
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 12:17:49 PM »
....... Were taking things a bit too literal here. This isnt going to be our sole representation of parkour to the world, this is for people that know nothing of the mindset, the movements, or anything else other than them knowing they want to get into it. This isnt a parkour video, its not to showcase our talents, it is to help people that want a jumpstart in their parkour career. it will show them the BASIC movements that they need to drill before they can even come close to acheiving the mindset (i saw acheiving because that is the only way to understand the mindset, it cant be taught through a dvd).

Again, this is not our portrayal of parkour to the world, this is a tutorial dvd for the movements, furthering the development of new minds to the parkour community. understand?

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:29:39 PM »
hmm, good point matthew

"the movements" of what? of parkour? what are "movements" of parkour? Are you teaching general motion? A track runner can teach how to jump....

i'm also interested to see how this DVD will turn out....

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 12:46:08 PM »
Were taking things a bit too literal here. This isnt going to be our sole representation of parkour to the world, this is for people that know nothing of the mindset, the movements, or anything else other than them knowing they want to get into it.

Well at some point it may be a good idea to make a representation of Parkour atleast to America right? Later make a video that shows who the Tribe is and what there purpose is, it may be in this one for all I know ???.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 12:54:16 PM »
of course we will make a movie along the lines. but thats besides the point.

Jump, lets not kid ourselves. yes parkour is the mindset, but the first steps to getting that mindset is to drill a few basic movements. We all did it when we started. you might know these moves as kongs, turnvaults, catleaps, rolls, etc. you know exactly what were talking about when we say the 'movements' of parkour. the movements that tend to be more efficient than others. we all know them, theres no denying that  ;) ;)

you learn the movements, you find ways to link them together, and then you begin to understand what parkour is truly about. like m2 said, if youre not new to parkour, dont waste your time buying it  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 01:01:08 PM by Skipper »

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 01:16:32 PM »
i'll buy a copy for all my friends :D
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »
a speed vault is not parokur?????

BULLFROG

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 01:37:15 PM »
a speed vault is not parokur?????

yeah, i didn't understand that either

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 01:41:50 PM »
Ok, what we mean by saying a speed vault is not parkour is that no single move can possibly make up parkour. Seeing as parkour is the mindset and going through an environment efficiently, just doing a speed vault alone does not justify the movement as parkour. same goes with a kong. if you just do a kong and nothing else (you might be showing a friend what a kong looks like, or just drilling kongs, etc), you arent doing parkour. if you begin running and do a kong to overcome an obstacle, and then continue running, doing other moves to successfully interact with your environment efficiently, then you are doing parkour.

i hope that helps those who didnt get what we were saying before  :)

BULLFROG

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 02:04:15 PM »
ahh...now its clarified...thanks skipper

i understand everything about parkour, its concept and mindset and all that...i'm not a newbie...been training for a year, but that comment caught me off gaurd, because i didn't quite understand what that meant.

thats what i tell everyone here in canada (toronto) also, parkour is not about specific movements, its about the "mindset" of parkour that makes it parkour.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 02:13:52 PM »
Im glad it helped. and yes, it is about the mindset, but you cant tell me that you never spent any time drilling the individual moves. you have to teach your muscles how to move, as well as your body. and with such a physical demand, you cant just tell yourself "act efficient"... you have to master the movements to a point where you dont even think about the movement.

You have to drill kongs until youre not afraid to do them, i know i though about it really hard when i first learned kongs! haha

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 02:16:22 PM »
Well, it looks like skipper is way on top of this :]
But to draw another hopefully helpful point, you can't look at it as having mastered one specific move because then you really are pretty much just jumping. Albeit you are building proficiency in that one technique, it's still just one jump / vault / move. I remember the first day I realized that parkour is much more than that, when I realized I had to really work on the transitions; takeoffs, landings that continue smoothly into running or another technique, not stutter stepping.
It was a lot I had never thought about! And it gave me a lot to work on, opened my eyes to more possibilites, and superified my understanding of parkour =D.

There's a more complete thought there somewhere, but my brain is still a bit thrown off from 17 hours of travel back from a Jan Term class and starting school today, 3 days later :p.

EDIT : Having seen skipper's new post, yeah I remember the first night I went out and it was so hard to get "how the heck do I do a kong vault like I saw in that video?"

Gearsighted

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 03:52:07 PM »
Parkour is much like a martial art. There are many movements that, over time, have become standards for their usefulness in multiple situations. Just like a single strike in and of itself isn't a martial art, a vault, jump, etc. by itself isn't Parkour. These movements are only tools with which to build your movement upon, but they are only a jumping off point towards limitless variations that occur when you attain a certain mindfulness in movement and stop thinking about each individual move seperately.

This is why M2 said that this video will be for absolute newbies who don't have more experienced people to learn from. It will give them a good base of functional movement to start with, from there on it is up to them to hone, perfect and then enhance this essential mindset of Parkour in their own environments and with their growing understanding of the most effecient patterns of movement for any given situation.

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »
Then again you can buy it if you really want to even if you aren't a beginner just to see the awesome work by Mike which, as you know if you've seen Dispersion, is really incredible.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 04:38:14 PM »
AHHH!!! Too much metaparkour!
PK4LIFE!

Offline andi k

• Guenons
  • FRPKs are Losers. Im a TRACEUR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 09:53:49 PM »
what we mean by saying a speed vault is not parkour is that no single move can possibly make up parkour.

no ? if you go to the bus, notice youre late, and dont walk around the wall but do ONE speedvault, and then you have reached the bus, its NOT parkour then ?

nuff said.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 09:59:01 PM »
touche andi. ;)

but in most cases, parkour consists of more than one single movement.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 10:49:05 PM »
I thought this would start an uproar of discussions.  I just think that people should think about this.  Can you truly teach what parkour is by trying to explain it to them by defined movements.  I think that in this case the Video should be called something else.  I think that this should some how be labeled (since it is going to be the first of what I explained) Parkour Training DVD.  I know that the people here like to use that word "training" so I think that this might solve a problem of what exactly is going on with this DVD.

I guess this is touching into the realm of what someone else posted here about "Its it possible to capture Parkour on Video?"  I will not sure my views on this but I feel that it is in the same line.  I feel that there should just be a line drawn around what exactly this DVD is doing.  I also liken this unto Urban Free Flow when they put up their tutorials page.  They had some obviously non-100% efficient movements.  Yes they were studying under the Freestyle umbrella.  There was a big problem with what people were saying was PARKOUR.  I feel that is the DVD is explained correctly before it is release that it might help some understanding of what TRIBE is trying to show instead of getting flamed.

Tribe has not shown us directly what they represent but we all assume that they will try to represent Parkour in its fullest.  I know that in Dispersion a DVD released by APK with the clan from VA-Parkour, they did Parkour and flips.  This is just something I don't want to go wrong with this New tutorial DVD, try to represent what True Parkour is all about. (The mindset, the philosophy)

On Another note- I would have to Agree with Andi.  You had a goal in mind...to save yourself (a walk) and you use your parkour mindset of overcoming physical obstacles to accomplish your goal.  I would call it Parkour. ;)  Although True Demon; there is a reason why we always say obstacle(s)
         Also a way that the comment was used "A speed vault is not Parkour" can go further.  It is the fact that Parkour is a mindset...with a goal behind it.  A discipline, a philosophy not a certain movement.  That would be confining it....WHICH is what I was trying to represent with this whole post.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 10:54:16 PM by Matthew Lee Willis »
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Tyson Cecka

• Patas
  • Tyson Cecka
    • View Profile
    • Tyson Cecka
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2006, 02:07:57 AM »
I was the one who posted that thread originally getting people to think about how one comes to understand Parkour. I don't think that someone is going to be able to watch this DVD and then go, "ah Parkour, I understand everything now," and I don't think that is what it is meant to be anyway. This a just some tutorials on basic movements that are very helpful in Parkour.

I think the name is fine and I don't think it's proper to already be questioning the Tribe before they have even come out with much of anything... Hope that was helpful.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2006, 02:48:28 AM »
what we mean by saying a speed vault is not parkour is that no single move can possibly make up parkour.

no ? if you go to the bus, notice youre late, and dont walk around the wall but do ONE speedvault, and then you have reached the bus, its NOT parkour then ?

i think what he meant was that no single movement is parkour. as in, if you are just doing a speed vault to be doing one, it is not parkour. there are certain places where a speed vault would not be the best movement. the point of him saying that was that people are focusing too much on the movements instead of the actual journey. i'm sure you would agree, that if someone is just speed vaulting a rail back and forth because they think it looks cool, it would not be parkour.

EDIT: @MLW-

va-parkour doesn't have a clan. i don't think there are any clans in the VA/DC/MD area. hopefully it will stay that way.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 06:13:08 AM by klaymen »