Author Topic: UPDATE: Workshop with Davidson Univ students - Oct 6, noontime, UNCC  (Read 7603 times)

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
Okay, so there is the very real possibility that we will be running a Parkour workshop for some students from Davidson Univ very soon. No money or anything involved (damn), but it's a great chance to spread the "word" a/b what we do. :D It'd be a fun weekend jam, too!

After much looking around, it really seems that them coming to us is going to be the best way to do this Thing.

No date has been settled upon yet, but what does everyone think a/b it taking place noonish, Sat, Oct 6th as the date for this?

Also, who wants to help teach? If you are willing and able to instruct, you will HAVE to come to the Thurs jam before we do the workshop. There we'll all go over what kinds of things we'll go over with the participants, how the workshop will kind of go, things to do/not do, all sorts of stuff so it'll go smoothly and we'll rep ourselves the best, dig?

Thoughts? Likes? Dislikes? Pie?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 04:35:47 AM by ohfomehxr »

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline xazraelx

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop with Davidson Univ students
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »
I certainly don't feel capable of teaching, but I'd come to help with whatever needs helping and/or to be part of the learning experience :)

I'm not certain of any plans thus far that weekend that I have (I don't think there are any), so it's not a positive yet.

Offline Dicere

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE: Workshop with Davidson Univ students - Oct 6, noontime, UNCC
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »
As we discussed on Thursday I should be free to help teach if the need is there if not it'll still be a good Sat jam

Offline TK17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 10:08:19 AM »
ohfomehxr ...  :-[

You asked me if I had any input and if I'd be available, and I replied back IMMEDIATELY telling you yes on ANY day but this one, and then you never ever answered me back and you went ahead and scheduled it for that day. :'(

Why, oh why?

Well, best of luck to everyone anyway, hope it goes well.

:-\

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 04:45:51 AM »
I know, man, sorry for not getting back! :( That was slack on my part.

As for Oct 6th, I actually can't figure out why it seemed to have to be on that day. I think part of it was to have it asap, part b/c Oct weekends are real busy for some of us, partly because of reasons I actually can't think of right now! :\

Guys, will the 13th work just as well? I'm going to find out right now if there's been a big response on Davidson, and if there hasn't yet, maybe they could do with some more advanced notice. Thoughts?

Dunc, again: sorry for being a slacker and not getting back to you!

EDIT:

Oh yeah! The following two weekends after the 6th are Davidson U's Fall Break! Noone will be around, including the student who is helping me up there. I'd rather have the 1st workshop sooner vs. later, also while it's still pretty warm. End-of-Oct is going to start to be cold. Perhaps we'll be able to secure an inside facility somehow, and any sort of excitement/word-of-mouth/pr we gain from a successful 1st workshop might could help that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:18:36 AM by ohfomehxr »

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline TK17

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 07:39:17 AM »
Well, I'll try to make it to the second one, then.   ;D  Now it's up to you to make sure it's so awesome that there IS a second one.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:42:52 PM »
You can bet on it! It's up to all of us who are going to be there, leading the thing. I'm greatly looking fw to it, and to this Thurs, when we have a little planning session a/b it.

If you plan on helping to instruct Sat, Oct. 6th, PLEASE PLEASE come to the regular Thurs jam this week! There we'll plan what we will go over, how the whole thing is going to be structured, etc... just, how it'll run. So it is very important to be there for that! :D

I'll also probably have a better idea of how many (hehe, if any!) people are interested.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 06:48:15 AM by ohfomehxr »

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 06:48:30 AM »
This flier is going to be put up around Davidson today:

Also, the below ad has been placed in the Davidson Crier; a campus-distributed paper:

PARKOUR WORKSHOP AT UNC CHARLOTTE:
Free lesson with the Charlotte Parkour Crew!
WHAT: Parkour is a movement that was founded in France by David Belle. Parkour is a philosophy, an art, and a way of life. The idea behind Parkour is that there are no limits--only obstacles--and all obstacles can be overcome. This philosophy is manifested literally in that practitioners of Parkour (called “traceurs”) go from one place to another in the fastest and most direct way. Traceurs learn to run, jump, and climb over any physical barrier in their path, and they do this while maintaining momentum.

WHEN: Saturday, October 6, 12 - 1 PM. We will be carpooling from Rich Circle at 11:20.

HOW: Contact Lauren at lacunningham@davidson.edu<mailto:lacunningham@davidson.edu> to sign-up or for more information. Space is limited.

Got 3 ppl interested in coming so far. :) Responses? :)

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Dicere

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »
love the art as always I saw the ad that they're putting in the paper and it said 12-1 are they seriously only planning on being up here for an hour for a workshop?? that'djust be enough time to stretch and make intros

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:26:41 AM »
No no, 12-1 is starting time. :) They're going to try to leave at like 11:30. I figure on how we'll do our thing like ~3 hours, maybe see if anybody's up for getting some lunch or what have you after that...

RE tomorrow: It's looking like MAD rain! :( We'll see what it's like tomorrow eve, weather predictions have been wrong before, but it's calling like 60-80% chance of rain atm. :(

I personally am uncomfortable with not having some sort of "pow-wow" concerning how we're going to run this workshop in order represent ourselves the best. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can meet?

I *might* be able to meet somehow Fri night. I also *might* be able to show up Sat like an hour early or something to do it last-minute.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Also: Instructors would be me, Andy, Ian, Steven (aren't you going to be in town?), and Monk, if he's not working, which he said he probably is. Any other takers?

And of course if you're not like instructing, COME ANYWAY. :) I don't care what "level" you may feel you're at. Noone else cares, either. :) Just bring yourself and a good attitude and we're off the ground.

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Dicere

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 12:05:12 PM »
alright that's cool, I was confused. as for the rain that doesn't mean we can't brainstorm and at least get together and just walk through and decide what would be best to teach where. but that's my 2 cents, rain doesn't mean that we have to waste a day.

and I think Steven said he had a thing involving running, biking and swimming. but I think with Andy, Cliff and I (maybe Monk) that should be enough instructors

Offline SlØth

• Mangabey
  • Virtus
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 06:18:18 PM »
Most unfortunately the triathlon is this weekend, so I won't be there to represent.  Wish I could, it seems like a thousand things have been planned this week.  Good luck guys.  Kick some ass.
facebook // youtube // Flickr // North Carolina Parkour

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 08:35:30 AM »
alright that's cool, I was confused. as for the rain that doesn't mean we can't brainstorm and at least get together and just walk through and decide what would be best to teach where. but that's my 2 cents, rain doesn't mean that we have to waste a day.

and I think Steven said he had a thing involving running, biking and swimming. but I think with Andy, Cliff and I (maybe Monk) that should be enough instructors

W0rd up. I'm down for getting together anyways, Ian ur place? Monk, you down? C'mon an hang out, dogg.

Response so far is 7 ppl. :D

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Dicere

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 06:39:16 PM »
Talking Points

What is parkour (maybe explain difference between parkour and free-running)
Everyone's experience and exposure to parkour
possibly everyone's athletic backgrounds
How to talk to authority
No competition
Know your limits
Safety

that's all I could remember for right now it'll be great see you guys there

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 07:15:28 AM »
Talking points other than what Ian mentioned:

Check yer surfaces
Cheese code (along with how to talk to authority)
History/beginnings of Parkour
- Method Naturalle and the noble savage
- David Belle's father and his training
- David Belle and Foucan's beginnings in Lisse
- PK's spreading w/in the UK and eventually to the states
Benefits of Parkour
- Motivation to keep physically fit
- Liberating... "traceur vision"
- Teaches one how to become used to and overcome fears
How the workshop is going to be run, as in , what we're going to do that day/the general schedule
What Parkour ISN'T
The state of Parkour in the States today?? Or like the NC PK scene?? Maybe.

What else? Andy's turn. lol!

North Carolina Traceurs

Offline untiedknot

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 08:19:11 PM »
well, i think you guys got most all of it. I guess the only other things i would add are more in depth and advanced discussion as well as personal discoveries. Examples may be: what I eat, how i maintain a balanced parkour training schedule, what i do to prevent injuries, when i prefer to parkour. This along with the points you guys are going to bring up should be more than enough to fully saturate their brains. See you guys tomorrow a little before 12.

Offline SlØth

• Mangabey
  • Virtus
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 02:58:20 PM »
How did the workshop go guys?
facebook // youtube // Flickr // North Carolina Parkour

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 06:40:06 AM »
Workshop was such a full and rich experience, man. :D Really was great to share w/ everyone. It was also really great that everyone that came had such great attitudes and energy. :D I think a few of them are hooked. I did a like more-written out post on ncparkour's forums, too. :)

Hopefull we'll be doing a 2nd, and maybe by then it'll be on Davidson! We'll see... :D

Man I'm glad to hear your triathalon went well!! Look fw to hearing more a/b it.

North Carolina Traceurs