Author Topic: add-on question  (Read 1363 times)

Offline samurai316

• Guenons
    • View Profile
add-on question
« on: September 23, 2007, 05:16:51 AM »
A question for the masses here, I was wondering what add-ons i guess you can say are healthy to eat with your food?
and what i mean by add-ons is stuff like peanut butter, jelly, mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, and ect.

For the time being i'm just eating my food without any of that but if any of it whould be good for my body just want to figure what is better to put on my food then other stuff.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: add-on question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 06:37:23 PM »
Any kind of condiments are fine as they are generally consumed in such small quantities as to not make much of a difference. That said, you may wish to avoid condiments that are very high in sugar (jam, syrup, ketchup, some honey-mustards, etc) and trans-fats (some kinds of spreads). The biggest thing with condiments is simply to watch your quantities carefully, and use them in very small amounts. Be aware that low-fat versions of fattier condiments (like low-fat mayo for instance) are generally not good as they are high in added sugar and salt.

Herbs, spices, and vinegars you can generally use as much as you want. For salad dressings, you're usually better off with a vinaigrette type dressing rather than a creamy one. For fats, you're usually better off with plant-based oils (olive and canola are great choices) or substituting avocado/guacamole for mayonnaise. Your best bet for mustard is a natural dijon as opposed to "the yellow stuff." Flavored mustards (e.g. sweet & hot, honey mustard, etc.) tend to have a lot of sugar and unnatural stuff in them. And fresh salsa is about as healthy a condiment as you can get, especially if it's homemade.

Hope that helps. :)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com