Author Topic: What IS Parkour?  (Read 23227 times)

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
Re: What IS Parkour?
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2005, 10:57:44 AM »
APK stands for American Parkour yes I know, but if as a website it was limited to the sole act of parkour it would be cut off from embodying thelarger picture, the life of a traceur. The workouts gear posts aren't pk, but they will help you with pk, the articles people post aren't pk, but they are the idea of pk, they will help us see it with new eyes, and the different aspects of pk may or nay not be what you believe to be pk, but they are parts of, they may be offshoots or they may be building blocks. So what we have here, call it what you will, only stands to better serve the people this website caters to, the American Parkour scene(and anyone else who wnats to drop by they'll be welcome too) and all the things that might at all be intersting or helpful to them.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2005, 03:07:16 PM »
It really sounds like people are treating PK like a business (and no, im not just talking about UF). Not in the sense that they are trying to make money off Parkour itself, but because people are treating every action a website (such as this one) takes like its going to damper this month's total revenue. "Why should we cater to people that arent super-purist traceurs??? its not like theyve done anything for me!".... what does that matter? Why is it such a hard concept to grasp that we want to be as friendly as we can? Its like a Sprint User going into a Verizon wireless message board to find out first hand the difference between his brand andthe other. If the sprint user asks a question, I'd say he has the right to hear accurate answers... and thats what our wide range of articles and caterings will do... give the public accurate answers to the questions.
Think of APK as kicking down that notch of seriousness. Everyone always says its about the fun and whatnot... but it is not at all reflected on how they treat situations over this cluster-f#ck of cyber-opinions called the internet.
Please, for the love of God, sit the f#ck back, and relax damnit

;)

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2005, 07:15:03 PM »
only if it were possible emulate the va-parkour community 
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Gearsighted

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2005, 06:06:49 PM »
What, where every time somebody argued I would shut down the forum and make mock, locked forums with IM conversations between David Belle and Sebatien Foucan? I'm sure that would go over well ;)

I think my shenanigans are better-recieved by a small audience  :P

As for the "What is Parkour" and "What does this website represent"....it's old, so very old, so I will make one quick comment, and then allow my actions to speak for me beyond that.

What I wish for this website to become is not just a vehicle for the spread of Parkour in its true sense (which I believe in and work my ass off to represent), but also a gathering place for all those people who either practice Parkour, or associate themselves with the Parkour community. This could include those that call themselves freerunners, trickers, gymnasts or FRPK-practitioners (furpickers for short). Whether or not I agree with the opinion of each individual, I am willing to accept it as their right to express, as long as it is done in a respectable and intelligent manner. When you attack each opposing viewpoint as soon as it's presented, you quickly create an environment of negativity that affects your community in its entirety. I have no use for the negativity, I would rather bring everybody together that associates with the art I love in one way or another, and find a way to discuss the many varied issues that exist within the community in a civilized and respectable manner. As long as each individual approaches this website in the same way, then we'll have no problems.

Needless to say, I will make my viewpoints on the art known in more ways than one. I believe in a certain purity within Parkour that is based on simplification of both movement and mindset, and I hope to apply this philosophy to all of my interaction with this community that we have in the US. Does this mean that I can't debate the merits of other people's opinions? Nope. Does this mean that I will do everything within my power to spare my time from worthless internet flame wars based on ignorance rather than intelligent discourse? Indeed.

Beyond that, I want to train as hard as I can, and do all that I can to help others do the same. If anybody, whether freerunner, tricker or Traceur ever has a question, suggestion or concern, they are welcome to contact me at their convenience. I will do everything within my power to pass on the information I may have that could be of benefit, or to point them in the direction of any helpful resources I may know of.

So, on that note, I will allow the "actions speak louder than words" ethos to commence. Off to train a bit and then finish up some articles for the main site.

Keep up the flow.

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2005, 05:56:47 PM »
A good friend once said,
"I am a paint brush. The world and environment around me is a tapestry. Where i go and what i do, is how i paint."

i think that defines parkour perfectly! I don't see parkour as a sport, but more as an artform and a life style.

So i say, do what YOU want to do, paint how YOU want to paint.

I don't believe that there are two different types of parkour,  i believe that there are one and it is up to you to define it.

that is what i believe, like it or hate it, you cant make me change my mind.

i like this statement so much that i am going to copy and paste it into my signature!

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2005, 10:34:37 PM »
jman, a similar quote has been going around for at least a couple years.

also...

I don't believe that there are two different types of parkour

You are right, there is only one type of parkour. freestyle parkour/freerunning/3run/etc are all similar to parkour, not different types of parkour.

i believe that there are one and it is up to you to define it.

its not up to you to define parkour. it has already been defined by its founder, david belle. what if a musician started playing classical music and decided to call it jazz? jazz is a defined thing and he cant just disregard that and make up his own definition of jazz.

i am just saying you need to understand parkour is a defined thing. nobody cares what you personally choose to practice, just understand what parkour is.

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2005, 11:15:47 AM »
oh crap, i guess i came off wrong. I thought this would happen. i guess i am kind of embarrassed :-[

First, that is the first real quote that i thought really worked. Also, nobody had brought up any quotes similar to that in this whole discosion.

Second, freestyle parkour seems like a type of parkour to me, seeing that it has parkour in its name.

Finally, when i said it is up to you to define it, what i was trying to say was there is only one parkour, but it is up to you to decide what moves go best when and where. I was trying to say define the moves not the definition of parkour. i was trying to say, define how it is to you, define what it means to you, define what you think the best moves are to get over an object. i didn't mean the dictionary definition, i meant more of a deeper type thing.

It is kind of like this. Think of a banana. The definition of the banana would probably be, a yellow fruit rich in vitamins, or something weird like that. Then, define what the banana means to you. Is it food to you, is it a toy to you, is it good tasting to you, is it bad to you.   You see what i mean? hopefully, so my karma doesn't go down 4 again lol. man i have got to stop using my PSP as my internet source.lol.

hopefully, i corrected myself, so i don't seem like such a fool. I really was trying to say this, i hate not getting along with people.

to be honest with you, i don't know why the crap i used the word, "define", that was probably the worst word choice possible.

Offline Bachelarius

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2005, 02:19:02 PM »
"Second, freestyle parkour seems like a type of parkour to me, seeing that it has parkour in its name."

hehe, yeah that was the idea I guess. There is a hell of a lot of controversy about that name, and some people refuse to accept it as a valid art due to the bodged nature of it all... It's like "hmm, well we have been saying that we've been doing parkour all this time, then David has the audacity to actually put us in our place, but the name 'parkour' has such a nice ring to it, lets keep it, but to shut all the 'purist wankers' up lets call it freestyle'

The term 'freestyle parkour' does not really make much sense to me, as making parkour 'freestyle' takes away the key idea of moving how we were originally designed to, and replaces it with flair. It's a completely different art, and the term parkour does not really go with it. Free running would really have been an ideal name for it, but even that name had a lot of bull shit surrounding it.

I understand what you are saying, Jman, I too really dislike the apparent rivalry between traceurs and free runners, or whatever, which is mainly internet based. I mean, the one time I have ever been to Cambridge (home of tct, and in my mind, the Lisse of GB) there was a freestyler there, and we simply put our differences aside, and gladly trained with one another, helped one another improve and had one of the greatest training sessions we have ever been to. I am livid that there is all this bull shit in the parkour scene, and, as shallow as it sounds, if I was asked who I blame, I would say UF (personal opinion, is open to changing). The way they introduced freestyle, the way they made it out to be better than parkour, the constant rivalry which ez started between his art and Davids... it tore the scene apart, and with really opinionated people on the parkour scene, who really love their art and do not allow it's name to be tainted of course spoke out. So people took sides.

Luckily certain artists, like trickers and 3runners were left out of it, and now there is a very friendly relationship between them and traceurs. I have been trying to put my differences between myself and free runners aside as I know this is not their fault, but the fact that they often don't really understand parkour, they see traceurs as doing the same art as them, just more uptight and with less talent, as there are less tricks to do...

sorry about the length and off topic nature of this post, it's been bubbling up inside me for a while...
,i--|--|_'-o---o-'

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2005, 09:30:42 PM »
thank you bachelarius, i applaud you. You seem to be among the first that understand me lol.

Offline andi k

• Guenons
  • FRPKs are Losers. Im a TRACEUR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2005, 02:09:02 AM »
It seems that by me not taking a stand, not sticking my head in the sand,  I've upset a certain Austrian.

f#ck it mark, you know exactly that this was not the point, but the point was that it seems rather suspicious, why you, as a 'traceur', want to build a base for people who disrespect the roots and history of your art (and you have to love parkour, since you label yourself traceur) by pretending that you could put a 'freestyle' in front of the arts name.  thats like..  why would a black guy make a community for nazis ? (btw.. no nazis or black guys feel offended now, this is just an analogy)

I thought m2 had pretty clearly answered that question, APK is open to all people.

fighting is preassigned then.  thats like the black guy opens the community and invites nazis and black guys. one group that disrespects the other group will ALWAYS mean tension, and you ARE sticking your head into sand m2 if you dont believe that.
and you also have to understand that you, who tries to connect groups that are not to be connected (cause one group purposely disrespects the other group and makes fun of the name of the art of the group), will also earn disrespect from both groups, and will also make many ppl think "why would he do that ? to sell t-shirts and shit ? to make money ? "   ...  you have to take the consequences of your doings, and when you do something like this, you have to take it that ppl think its suspicious, and then you have to accept it and not do the little-baby-cries game 'ooh i did something soooo nice but big bad andi got soooo mean on me... '

and i say it again. just cause people say 'freestyle parkour' it doesnt make it valid. OXYMORON f#cking hell. parkour = effective. freestyle = ineffective.  freestyle parkour = ineffective effectiveness.   and the argument 'but people use it' is crap.. that doesnt make it any more correct.

traceurs can train with tricksters, streetstunt guys, freerunners, yamakasis, freestyle walkers, ...  whatever, and have the biggest fun in their lifetime.  but if one pretends to be a 'traceur' , then this implies he loves the art parkour, and there is no way that a 'traceur' could simply accept ppl spreading 'freestyle parkour' cause it is a disrespect, a making fun of, a making shit of the name of his art. ppl who accept that are not traceurs, they are weak bastards who dont have the strength to stand in for their opinion, or fake bastards who label themself traceurs to be cool but have no clue what a traceur is.

and im sick of all the weakies, fakes, and FRscum guys. why do they all associate to parkour, when they dont like it anyways ? when its oh so restrictive, elitist, and bad ?  if it is like that, why do you follow us everywhere ? leave us alone.

nuff said.

kaos

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2005, 07:04:52 AM »
Show of hands, how many of us  disrespect the roots and history of Parkour?
(300 people DON'T raise their hands).

Andi K, you just insulted a community of 300 people.

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2005, 09:19:12 AM »
right now there are like 4 multipage topics relating to this subject.  "What IS parkour?" and "To Define Freedom" and "Flips and Parkour" and "Your Own PK Style?"

as each of us are representatives of the sport, and to some degree its offshoots, and as *american* representatives, is all of this debating healthy for the sport and for the US factions in general?  i guess it still happens everywhere and you cant avoid it, but if i was an establish french traceur say, and came onto the boards and theres a bunch of big threads fighting about what it is, i was really not be too enthusiastic about it at all.  i know on the UFF board this was debated as well, but i dunno, you see what im saying kinda?  plus we know everyone hates americans already anyways  :P

i know it helps people be educated, but there seems to be some consensus around it.  maybe everyone can do more research, we can get some definitions up once and for all and end the conflicts, then we can all go out and represent pure parkour or its subgenres, and more importantly everyone just get out and jam... yes?
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline andi k

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2005, 11:29:37 AM »
Show of hands, how many of us  disrespect the roots and history of Parkour?
(300 people DON'T raise their hands).

Andi K, you just insulted a community of 300 people.

hold on. YOU just insulted a community of 300 people , idiot.   cause what i did was insulting FRPK bitches, not traceurs, and when you say by that i insulted all ppl here u basically call all ppl here FRPK people, so every traceur on here has been insulted by you.

if you wanna mess with me, watch your words, just cause im not good in english doesnt mean i cant own your ass.

good jump btw.

cu

nuff said.

kaos

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2005, 12:07:42 PM »
Oh, you're not good in English...I didn't know.  Thats probably why you overlooked the multiple ways in which your statement could be taken.  I am "good in English," so let me help you by assuring you that, because of what could be inferred, it was insulting.

I don't try and mess with people.  I am trying to be polite.  Lets try and keep it civilized.

Offline andi k

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2005, 12:14:37 PM »
i DO want to insult, the FRscum ppl, cause i disrespect all of them.  but i dont insult traceurs.

nuff said.

kaos

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2005, 12:23:02 PM »
A lot of them are simply misguided.  There is a ton of information out there, and when you are new to Parkour its easy to get caught up in misconceptions.  There must be some way we can work together to end all the confusion.

Offline andi k

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2005, 12:39:35 PM »
im often called ignorant, arrogant, and an arsehole, so i take the simple way and see it black and white, as m2 blames me. on the internet its everywhere (even uf) stated clearly that parkour comes from david belle. even on foucans page.  parkour.net , pawa.fr, and for a while (not online now) davidbelle.com, gave statements from david himself and contain goooood articles on parkour. everone can read it, and everyone with a bit of intelligene will believe david belle statements more than uf. so to me, its the peoples own fault.

nuff said.

kaos

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2005, 12:50:18 PM »
Fair enough.  Regardless of fault, the issue of misconception remains.  I guess its on us to be good ambassadors for Parkour.

By the way, David Belle ought to get his site back up since "District 13" is coming to theaters in North America.  If people see Belle on the big screen and become interested in him, that might help a great deal.

Offline Rice

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Renzhe Parkour
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2005, 05:20:58 AM »
Well..don't worry about FRPK anymore..even its founders (The UF, Seidojin...whatever they call themselves) have dropped the FRPK banner and are now back to Parkour.  Of course, it won't change the way they move, they just decided that they don't need a new silly name.

Now here is how I always thought regarding the whole "flips and parkour".....*clears throat*

It started off as if anyone saw a "flip" in a video that was labeled "Parkour" or "freerunning" what have you, they would all start going off saying that "thats cool, but don't call it Parkour"  then it turned into flames "Thats not Parkour, you N00b!".  That is how I saw this whole debate start...just because someone put a few flips in their PK vid, which all these videos are is a way to show off what our abilities are, people would start to flame them just because it doesnt fit the description of Parkour. 

Now, because of all the flamming, someone (UF) decided to put an end to this "flips arent parkour" crap and made FRPK, which was supposed to end all these arguments...right?   wrong, it only divided peple into two groups....now known as "Purist Parkour" and "Freestyle Parkour"  Which only seemed to make more problems, but many people just shut up about it in the end.

My point is, just because someone decided to add a bit of spice in their VIDEO and add some flips and what not, too many people started to think that because they did that, "then that must be how they view Parkour...as a bunch of flips...and no, that can't be accepted!  DO not call that Parkour!  AGH."   It was only a video of them showing off...chill.  No one knows how a person trains when the camera is off, unless they are with them, and the majority of people who saw a video posted, never even met anyone.
Take me for example, or I should say, my team - Renzhe Parkour, we train 3 times a week doing Parkour....but our videos have a few flips in them to add a bit of flare.  Now, if I posted a video that we made and someone said  "Thats not parkour, don't call it that"  Well, we DO Parkour, but for the video we added some flips for the camera, and some of these guys have been doing flips way more than they have been doing Parkour, so it's only natural that they would want to show off a bit, but that doesnt change the fact that when we go out to train in Parkour, we do just that.

So thats my view.  But if people would just relax a bit and not be so concerned of what someone else does, especially when they know not the person, then this whole FRPK thing would never have came up in the first place.

I hope I am clear enough....getting over a flu, but I'd be happy to reiterate if anyone is like  "wtf did Rice ramble on about?"    later, of course   ;)

Offline antwawn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2005, 07:37:36 PM »
I agree with Rice. All this debating the philosophy of parkour is not helping anything. With any art form, or sport, people are active in it for different reasons, they have different ways of doing it, and it makes them feel different ways. We should just do it, however we want, because defining the different movements and ways of doing parkour is redundant, because Parkour was originated as an expression of your own movement, and to move in the most efficient, smooth way possible. Because the whole event of parkour originated with peoples' own styles in mind, its obvious that everyone wants to promote their way of doing things, and it doesn't matter. If someones doing flips, why should someone else care if they add more flair to their PK? It doesn't affect your parkour. Do it how you want.