Author Topic: What IS Parkour?  (Read 22784 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: What IS? Parkour?
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2005, 09:28:55 PM »
Danno, I agree that it can't work, I don't think the words go together to describe something that is an activity which is Parkour, and I agree that in a descriptive sense it is an oxymoron to put any word with parkour, because then it is not parkour, like "slow parkour" wouldn't be Parkour.

I still think that within parkour there is freedom of movement, because it is not defined by movement but rather by purpose or intent.

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2005, 10:54:06 PM »
ok. so is the only real argument here about if FRPK should be tolerated here?

the answer is yes. end of discussion?

sorry again danno, ive been using words all day, i was kinda worded out when i wrote that  :P

kind of a rough start here, i think it would be nice if we all just put it down and sang the same tune for now.

lock?

Parkourdan

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »
I still think that within parkour there is freedom of movement, because it is not defined by movement but rather by purpose or intent.

I like that. Thats excellent wording and something I think I can agree apon when worded like that.
Within parkour there is a definite degree of this 'freedom of movement' ... yes ... well said. Yep I like that a lot. Thats a better way then how I always say freedom inside the box.

*thumbsup*

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2005, 02:22:40 AM »
Ah-Ha! Finally, the words come together :)
Be Useful.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2005, 02:55:25 PM »
wait a minute....you mean parkour is not sitting around on the internet and arguing the true meaning of parkour  ??? wow...

I dissagree Skipper I don't beleive FRPK exists

maybe this doesn't exist...maybe everything around you doesnt exist..maybe this world you live in is all in your mind. How do you know thats not true? just because you can touch and see something doesn't make it real. it's all electrical charges from your body being sent to your brain...it doesn't mean it exists.

now that i'm done confusing you...

PK IS REAL! DO WHAT YOU WANT! I DONT CARE IF YOU DO FLIPS BECAUSE I WISH I COULD DO ONE! IF YOU WANT TO DO FRPK OR FSPK OR FXW THEN DO IT!!! MY CAPS LOCK KEY JUST BROKE!
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2005, 05:20:51 PM »
alright eric, settle down hoss. We have finally figured everything out and you go and attempt to stir things up. ahhh!!!!

just dont worry about it, read the previous posts and youll get all your correct answers, no need for another argument to get the same answers.  ;)

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2005, 07:03:14 PM »
oops i just read that one line and decided to go all out because of this book i'm reading that is screwing with my view on reality haha next time i'll read all the posts :P
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2005, 08:48:23 PM »
thanks for keeping it classy and admiting your falts...not to often you see that. *thumbs up*
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2005, 07:24:26 PM »
*thumbs up*

...Sorry wanted to join the crowd  :)
Basically I'd have to say I agree with Skipper -- He makes many valid points (as do you all) But I tend to like things seen from his perspective.
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2005, 01:48:37 PM »
*thumbs up*

...Sorry wanted to join the crowd 
Basically I'd have to say I agree with Skipper -- He makes many valid points (as do you all) But I tend to like things seen from his perspective.

Me as well.  :)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline SovXietday

• Legend
  • Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2005, 04:46:17 PM »
Ok, well for all of those who don't like FRPK (*raises hand intently*), how about we answer a question.

The common thing to do when someone says "I like FRPK" is to drill a hole in a concrete sidewalk, kick them into it, and bury them alive with a metal plug for a nice shiny touch. My question is this. Since the earlier action won't be tolerated around here... how do you propose we respond when this type of thing comes up.

So, let's get a scenario going here.

"I think FRPK is awesome, it's free and parkour is sooo restricting. All those elitists are jerks and you can't even flip! That's so dumb!"

I want to see some responses to this. I think it's important that we all understand that fighting a hatred for FRPK with more hatred just isn't going to do anyone any good! So, this post was just made, how would you respond, how would you react, how would you feel? Let's get some input on what people are thinking so that we can get a better idea of how the America's tend to sway. I'll hold off for now.
"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"
www.crossfit.com

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2005, 10:13:06 PM »
"I think FRPK is awesome, it's free and parkour is sooo restricting. All those elitists are jerks and you can't even flip! That's so dumb!"

First off, reading that post sent my body into violent spasms, but, as you say, fighting hate with hate ain't gonna do us any good. So- I think in the event we are presented with that comment, we RESPECTFULLY ask them what they consider to be "restricting" about Parkour and address all the points of their response. Obviously, describing some of the finer points of effiency and practicallity wouldn't hurt, and then steering them away from the "That's so Dumb" comment might be a good idea.
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2005, 12:27:15 AM »
Soon this website will be a hub for the entire playing field. What we intend to do is have certain figures from each branch of moving (parkour, FRPK, tricking, blah blah blah), and make sure that the information for each of those is readily available to everyone viewing this site.
This way, everyone will know what they are getting into when they begin an argument defending their choice of path, because there will be no reason for them to start splurting out false information.

soon enough, it will be a simple "can you justify that statement a bit further before making a definitive accusation, please?"
Hopefully this person will have read the article on both parkour, and freestyle parkour before making his one sided comment... and hopefully it would turn into a worthwhile conversation.
We as a community will be a tolerant one. and if you see intolerance where it is not necessary, jump in and speak up please. Everyone will simply have to learn to listen to what people have to say and agree that it is an opinion with backing (again, assuming the person has read what APK will have to offer).

Work as a community, live as a community... i see nothing but good comming from this  :)

Gearsighted

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2005, 08:57:01 AM »
hmmm...I guess I would jab them in the eye with a fork and run away. They couldn't catch me because they'd be too busy spinning around and doing flips... ;) It's always worked in the past! 8)

Offline SovXietday

• Legend
  • Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2005, 03:37:26 PM »
Gear... I'm drilling that hole in the sidewalk!!! :P prick ::)

I want everyone to realize that the name of the game is not to disregard here. If someone thinks a certain way, that is the way they will think. There is no point in telling them that what they think is wrong (unless of course you feel that they have not seen both sides of the page) and worst of all... insulting someone for their opinion is something I don't want to see at all!

This community is designed to find the middle ground, where everyone can at least accept other's opinions. I don't think I need to say how much a lot of us hate those *other* sites that are full of one sided pages. :-\

After FRPK formed I spent a lot of my time on forums bashing it with every ounce of time that I had. I hated it with a passion. Why? I don't know, I just did. Then I realized... what is hating it going to do for me? Well... I can tell you, NOTHING! You can hate it all you want, but it exists, so you just have to buck it up and accept it. I have, and if you think about it, even if someone comes along mouthing off as to how stupid parkour is to them... you realize that it's their opinion, and they're the ones restricted because of it. If you aknowledge both sides of the page, then you won't find yourself "trying not to do FRPK by flipping" and instead just do what you've been doing all along... whatever that may be. In other words, standing on either extremes will only hinder you. Standing in the middle and accepting all practices will take you much farther and open yourself up to a new kind of freedom.
"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"
www.crossfit.com

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2005, 04:05:37 AM »
Ah Well, I don't know about you guys but If some guy came up to me and told me that I'd just say, "OK.... well.... show me some of that FRPK that you can do... Then I'll show you mine and totally kick your ass"

Hahah actually I would try.... nay I would succeed in showing them just exactly what parkour is, then showing them what FRPK is, THEN Showing them what tricking is, and lastly tell them the distinctions and why they should listen to me and form better thoughts about the subject. For some reason people tend to listen to me when I show them something  ;D

Overall, Just be nice to them and try to step in their shoes, see what they are thinking. After you realize where they are comming  from (OOO DAVID BELLE DOES FRPK HAVE YOU SEEN HIS VIDS HE FLIPS A MILLION TIMES!) then you can come up with a nice, simple way to explain to them the truth.
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline skirodeo7

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • TheTJFRY.com
Re: What IS Parkour?
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2005, 03:39:41 PM »
Parkour, very simply, is the shit.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2005, 05:00:41 PM »
haha leon i couldn't concentrate on your post becuase of your awesome pic :D
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2005, 03:05:17 AM »
Soon this website will be a hub for the entire playing field. What we intend to do is have certain figures from each branch of moving (parkour, FRPK, tricking, blah blah blah), and make sure that the information for each of those is readily available to everyone viewing this site.

I don't understand this Idea I see here and on jetred that a parkour site needs to cater to every branch of movement. Parkour, freerunning frpk, 3run, street stunts, tricking, freestyle walking?, whats next Ballet? Break Dancing? Martial arts? Pen Spinning? Quarter flipping?

I remember someone saying that the site should be called american movement if that was the idea behind it and I agree. Americanparkour.com should primarily be about parkour, obviously it makes since to cover freerunning(with all its names) given that its often mistaken for parkour and is descended form it, but don't take it to far, tricking may be something practiced by lots of traceurs but so are martial arts, don't spread the focus of the site to far.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2005, 04:17:49 AM »
Actually, the site will cover aspects of martial arts as well, there are some aspects which are an extremely close fit, and with 10 years of practice I can't separate that from anything else I talk about, nor would I separate it.

This site doesn't "Need" to cater to anyone or anything, but it's been built by us, and it will cater to whom we darn well please :)

Parkour is the primary focus.

Most if not all people who practice parkour also practice some elements of Freerunning, Tricking, bodyweight exercise, climbing, and other things. We'd like to discuss them, and we will discuss them.

It's very simple really.

Be Useful.