Author Topic: What IS Parkour?  (Read 22791 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
What IS Parkour?
« on: November 11, 2005, 04:28:56 AM »
It seems that by me not taking a stand, not sticking my head in the sand,  I've upset a certain Austrian. fine with me. I'm not telling anyone what to do or not do, what they can like or not like.

What I am asking people to do is become EDUCATED and make decisions and statements based on information which is available.

I think it is now foolish to try to deny the existence of something called "Freestyle PK" .. I am NOT saying that it is valid or not valid, I am simply saying it exists.

Of course there is NO arguing that Parkour exists, but with so much misrepresentation, WHAT IS PARKOUR?

Now there are two ways to go about something. One is like the couch potato, they sit with their remote, flipping channels and yelling at the newscaster "Outrage" .... "Bullshit" eating their TV dinner and leaving an ever wider ass groove in their couch.

The other kind of person has the same outrage. They stand up, they FACE THE OBSTACLE and take the challenge on themself to make a positive difference ...

Check it out for yourself:

http://parkour.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=2860&forum=24
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 11:31:20 AM by M2 »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: What IS? Parkour?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 04:42:28 AM »
No more enemies. ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 08:39:17 PM by Skipper »

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 05:57:05 AM »
You never cease to amaze me with your negotiating abilities, I am desparately waiting to see what we can turn out from this. But no matter what you're absolutely right, no side was taken, that was the point and people seem to assume that if no one states a side for apk then they are against them. But that's the price you pay for being open minded and accepting of all...

Offline urbanparkourdude

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Urban parkour
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 06:44:50 AM »
Well parkour is parkour you can not say that parkour can be something that it isn't like M2 I am not trying to make people belive in what I belive in, I am just going to say parkour is all about flow and fluidance, parkour cant be undermind by free style parkour which is all to do with tricking and skill parkour and freestlye parkour have nothing in common, it would be like me in venting freestyle Skating it wouldnt go, What I am basically saying is Is this forum based on parkour or freestyle parkour just so I know if I should stay or not...

upk.proboards2.com

akh horus

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 07:08:46 AM »
Well parkour is parkour you can not say that parkour can be something that it isn't like M2 I am not trying to make people belive in what I belive in, I am just going to say parkour is all about flow and fluidance???, parkour cant be undermined by free style parkour which is all to do with tricking and skill parkour and freestlye parkour have nothing in common, it would be like me in venting freestyle Skating it wouldnt go, What I am basically saying is Is this forum based on parkour or freestyle parkour just so I know if I should stay or not...

I thought m2 had pretty clearly answered that question, APK is open to all people. We only ask that you read up, and understand that there certainly is, as M2 said, the existence of something called "Freestyle Parkour." If you don't want to associate with the people that do FRPK, then don't. And certainly don't attack them. There is the existence of people on this site who do FRPK, and there is the existence of people who do Parkour. I see no reason the two can't co-exist, it's as simple as being educated, understanding, and focused more on the community than on politics that are ultimately applesauce!

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 08:40:11 AM »
It took me some time to read your passage, urbanparkourdude. Please understand that commas are not the only form of punctuation, you must use periods as well. this is not a lesson in english, just a useful tip that i feel is necessary (mostly because i found what you said very easily misinterpreted because of that).
What I am basically saying is Is this forum based on parkour or freestyle parkour just so I know if I should stay or not...
that is EXACTLY what this forum was created for, to avoid mindsets such as yours. We take NO sides here, pure open mindedness. So what if we leaned towards one or the other? would it seriously drive you out of here? if so, i feel that you should take a close look at what a community such as ours really represents. All we are asking is for friendly alliances, rather than filthy rivalries.

In that, I am whole-heartidly asking you personally to be my friend. Without telling you what side i choose to partake in, would you be willing to hold worthwhile conversations with me... or would you have to know if i put an extra twist in here or there before you felt safe enough to start talking to me?

Wolf

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 09:16:24 AM »
Can't we all just get along?  ;) hahaha.

But really that's what we need. Like Skip said does that extra twist really matter, we're all here and I'm pretty sure most of us will be staying here, so there's no point in starting something that might split a good site as it's just getting on it's legs. Besides I'm pretty sure we're all guilty of putting a little twist in there from time to time. Let's just have some fun guys and I'm sure we'll make some good friends... wow that sounded a little ... yeah... hahaha. But you get what I'm saying. There's no point in arguing over something that in the big scheme of things isn't going to anything more than harsh words that will accomplish nothing.

P.S. I'll be your friend Skip ^.~

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 01:00:59 PM »
I agree with the open stance of this forum I don't think its needs to take sides, just be a resource for education and let people make their own descision's. However I see were andi is coming from because the statement of open mindedness only mention parkour and freestyle parkour. In my mind the problem is not what people who do FRPK do. If people are outside exploring their ability to move and having fun thats great.

The problem with FRPK is the name, Freestyle parkour is to me oxymoronic, parkour is parkour it can not be freestyle, that goes against parkour's defining principle. The thing called freestyle parkour allready had other names before freestyle parkour and I beleive the other names would be perferable. I would infact like to see that statement amended to include the other names for the thing called FRPK/freerunning/3run/"yamakasi?" .
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 01:11:57 PM »
it may be oxymoronic, it may be pointless to some... but our argument is not for or against the existance of FRPK. FRPK has BEEN defined and DOES in fact exist. to deny that would be foolish.

given that, and using our open minded structure, we will tend to the needs of anyone who practices any form of parkour, whatever it may be. again, this is not the place to try and argue that frpk is actually fake... you can bring that up with the UF guys. We will just house the information for the people to read and make their own decisions.

and wolf, i never asked you to be my friend.

but i accept  ;D

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 01:31:29 PM »
Freestyle parkour shows up on Wikipedia, that's all the proof of existence I need. :P
But really, it doesn't matter. If I want to do a backflip, I'll do one, it doesn't necessarily mean I think backflips are part of what I'm doing. If I want to make it part of what I do, then I will. What you do is strictly your own business, running about smiting people verbally on a holy crusade of definition is silly. Our community is just that, a community; we're not here to tell anyone how they should do things. Educate yourself and make decisions.
------------------
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Springfield MO Weekly Session

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 01:41:16 PM »
I dissagree Skipper I don't beleive FRPK exists, to my mind from lexical taxonomic standpoint its an invalid synonym for free running. That said I do not think this forum should exclude those who do beleive it exists or be unfreindly towards them. I simply don't think the term should be the only one used when mentioning this communitys openess to people of all persuasions within the parkour community. Their are many people who consider who call what they do free running or 3run that are just as much a part of parkour community as those that call what they do FRPK.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 02:20:08 PM »
it was said in the thread that this thread applies to.
Recognize that both exist, right or wrong, and then STATE YOUR CASE as to which one is real, original, or whatever else you feel.
but trying to deny that one exists shows you only understand 1/2 of reality.
I only quote M2 because i feel very strongly the same as him. you may be confusing existance with opinionated reality. FRPK may not be a valid activity in your mind, but thats not to say it exists.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »
The problem with FRPK is the name, Freestyle parkour is to me oxymoronic, parkour is parkour it can not be freestyle, that goes against parkour's defining principle.

Faelcind, I disagree ... "Freestyle" is a defining principle of Parkour, by it's very nature. Parkour does not tell you how to move ... therefore it is in fact freestyle.
Be Useful.

Parkourdan

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 04:10:59 PM »
Parkour doesnt tell you how to move, no.. because we are all different and we will all move differently, but it gives you principals to abide by in hopes of turning just, jumping around outside like we all used to do as kids, into something that can bring us philosophy and usefullness in our lives. So it's yes and no, but I wouldn't nessissarily agree that 'freestyle' is a defining prinicipal. Parkour is a discipline, no discipline is essentially free...

Adding a word infront of Parkour to change the meaning of Parkour can only be an oxymoron. (http://www.nyparkour.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2482#2482)

They say in France.... 'You must find your way. Whats real.' .. Most people confuse this with, 'you must find your parkour'.

Skipper .. you have to watch out when you say stuff like ... "we will tend to the needs of anyone who practices any form of parkour, whatever it may be." ... Because as much as you think you're being open, that view there isnt as open as you think. It's infact closeminded to the truth of what Parkour really is/was and insults people who believe there is only 1 use for the word Parkour, Davids use, which there is a lot on parkour.net.

It's tough catering to all crowds... Kudos if you can pull it off m2. Like always, Im here behind the scene aiding where I can.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 06:01:13 PM »
Im not going to argue a definition of what FRPK is, thats not what im here to do. Ok, so saying FRPK is an oxymoron.... but that only means that there is a team plus many others that practice something that has an oxymoron for a name. it still exists.

And yes, i agree that what i said may have come out wrong. I didnt mean that there were many forms of parkour, i was only stating that we DONT CARE what you practice here, as long as you just know what it is you are doing, compared to what it is everyone else does... etc. We did not say we were going to necessarily make everyone happy, just that we will not discriminate towards anyones views, as long as they are knowledgable when trying to argue them.

Im not sure if people are just not understanding this, but this website was made to diminish petty rivalries on a basis of knowledge. As M2 said, one day he may have an article written about parkour by Andi, and then the next day have one on frpk written by EZ. The whole goal here is to give everyone the DECISION to do what they feel suits them best, without leaning towards one side or the other. The more knowledge they have on the topics, the better the choice... which is a point that was lacking in most existing sites.
It's infact closeminded to the truth of what Parkour really is/was and insults people who believe there is only 1 use for the word Parkour, Davids use, which there is a lot on parkour.net.
I know, ive been there too. i know what parkour is, i know what parkour isnt. But i am not trying to take sides, nor will any other of the mods or admins here. the truth is, it is impossible to make EVERYONE happy. I wasnt being 'closedminded' towards parkour, just an attempt at openmindedness towards the community for perhaps a warm welcome, and it seems as if a welcome is not appreciated.
I really am sorry If you were someone that i offended, thats not how it was meant to come out. We really just want to try and help everyone possible instead of turning down the people that dont think the same way as us.

Gearsighted

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2005, 08:21:11 PM »
Hehe, I'm way behind..you guys post too much when I have to work all day, but I HAD to pick this out:

to my mind from lexical taxonomic standpoint its an invalid synonym for free running

Be that as it may, there is a forum of 12,000 members using that word on a daily basis. Whether or not the usage agrees with your lexical taxonomic standpoint, it DOES exist, and arguing semantics won't make it go away....now...on to do some more work and try to catch back up with this whole issue... :D

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2005, 08:38:56 PM »
Danno, I agree with what you're saying. I'm not saying it's right to put Freestyle in front of parkour, just that literally I don't feel the two words are oxymoronic in conjunction.

As for Parkour being freestyle, I also agree that it is a sort of "framework" if you will, but I feel that it doesn't specify (or unspecify) any specific movement, and therefore the movement itself is "freestyle".

Be Useful.

gmpianoman

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2005, 08:46:05 PM »
oxymoronic

lexical taxonomic standpoint

big words...lol

Parkourdan

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2005, 09:10:40 PM »
Danno, I agree with what you're saying. I'm not saying it's right to put Freestyle in front of parkour, just that literally I don't feel the two words are oxymoronic in conjunction.

It could work properly... It really could. But I dont think it can work the way UF wanted it to because then it does change the meaning of what Parkour is. That to me is oxymoronic (which is a great word btw)... What UF wanted to do with their art and what Parkour is are totally opposite spectrum of things. The word Parkour is only there for 1 reason.. duh.

Parkour is a very defined thing. (although a lot seem to argue..  ;D :D :P)
Freestyle....FFFfff#ck isn't at all. Infact its boderline nothing.

Theres no comparison to me. Not even the Yam (who some consider to be the biggest sellouts ever).. don't use the word Parkour. They've used parcours before, but have stayed clear of mentioning Davids Art I would hope, out of respect. Its not that hard, like was said in an article on this site, when you use the word, it's nice to know what your talking about...I think thats all.. =)

Skipper you didn't offend me.. I dont think its possible over the internet. But get your uses of Parkour straight. =P
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 09:12:17 PM by Parkourdan »

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2005, 09:13:42 PM »
I personally found it a little weird when the offical statement came out on UF.  I think its all parkour!  Unless you are not doing parkour...then its not parkour...right...anyone follow me...lol
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging