Author Topic: Too much "What is parkour"  (Read 8164 times)

Offline Jon Andrew Nease

• Guenons
  • 3run style!
    • View Profile
Too much "What is parkour"
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:16:13 AM »
By most of you guys deffinitions only like 10% of the people here do parkour.  If you guys don't know "what" your doing, what are you doing?  having fun, hopefully.  What does it matter if its a sport or not, or if its pure or not, or if its stylized or perfect form, or for that matter, if other people think it is or isn't any of these things?

When I cruise the forum its to the point where it seems like every other post starts with an apology to avoid critizism for a lack of purity

I do a lot of flips from hieghts or whatever, so i guess i'm not a "real" parkourist.  I also do vaults and rolls to get to class when i'm late, for efficiency sake.

Unltimately i figure, parkour is about movement and individuality.  If its not about individual style, and only efficiency, why do we bother with anything more difficult than what is literally nneeded to get places fast?  Why do we risk setting ourselves ultimately behind non traceurs with injurys? why do we drill techniques instead of moving somewhere? 

Parkour is healthy, its risky and its fun.  The risk isn't the goal, but face it, if you truly screw up even the most basic technique you will be hurting.  Healthy? You have to be in good shape to accomplish PK and it will keep you that way.  fun? damn, who needs an explanation.

So get out there, and move in whatever way it is that only you can, and stop dissing other peoples styles or sweating deffinitions of parkour.  If you don't know the deffinition, define it with your movement

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 01:19:25 AM by Jon Andrew Nease »

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
Re: Too much "What is parkour"
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 01:28:56 AM »
Appluade *check*
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline andi k

• Guenons
  • FRPKs are Losers. Im a TRACEUR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 02:21:35 AM »
We - the PAWA - PARKOUR WORLDWIDE ASSOCIATION of DAVID BELLE - do not agree that ANYTHING that does not accord to the one and only definition of parkour is labeled parkour.

Will you say David Belle is wrong about parkour ?

----

The only real problem is, that all the tricksters out there seem to be EXTREMELY HORNY about calling what they do parkour.

I train with people who do NOTHING but jumping off walls for the sake of impressing others, i train with people who flip all over the place everything else then efficient.  NOBODY has a problem with people being inefficient, doing tricks, whatever.

BUT:     there exist artforms , wich are about that.  Yamakasi.  3run.  Streetstunts. Urban Acrobatics. Freestyle Walking.  .... 

so WHAT THE HELL IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IMPORTANT ABOUT CALLING WHAT YOU DO ' PARKOUR ' ?

----------------------------------

its not the traceurs fault.   if you go and start doing flashkicks  ( backflip with a kick ) and calling it Judo, every Judo-Ka will say no its not judo.   same about parkour.

So get out there, and move
yes man, you are right !!  GO OUT THERE AND MOVE !!!   But hell - if you dont do parkour, dont call it parkour.

nuff said.

Gearsighted

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 03:46:59 AM »
I agree with Andi 100%

why do we bother with anything more difficult than what is literally nneeded to get places fast?

I'm not sure why you do that, I usually try to incorporate movements that I would use in an emergency through every conceivable path and environment I can encounter, and I contstantly stive to make these simple and effecient movements faster, smoother and more useful.

Offline andi k

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 04:46:43 AM »
I agree with Andi 100%

yaaaaaaaaay!  so have i been friendly enough this time ?

nuff said.

Offline Jon Andrew Nease

• Guenons
  • 3run style!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 10:42:27 AM »
We - the PAWA - PARKOUR WORLDWIDE ASSOCIATION of DAVID BELLE - do not agree that ANYTHING that does not accord to the one and only definition of parkour is labeled parkour.

Will you say David Belle is wrong about parkour ?

----

The only real problem is, that all the tricksters out there seem to be EXTREMELY HORNY about calling what they do parkour.

I train with people who do NOTHING but jumping off walls for the sake of impressing others, i train with people who flip all over the place everything else then efficient.  NOBODY has a problem with people being inefficient, doing tricks, whatever.

BUT:     there exist artforms , wich are about that.  Yamakasi.  3run.  Streetstunts. Urban Acrobatics. Freestyle Walking.  .... 

so WHAT THE HELL IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IMPORTANT ABOUT CALLING WHAT YOU DO ' PARKOUR ' ?

----------------------------------

its not the traceurs fault.   if you go and start doing flashkicks  ( backflip with a kick ) and calling it Judo, every Judo-Ka will say no its not judo.   same about parkour.

So get out there, and move
yes man, you are right !!  GO OUT THERE AND MOVE !!!   But hell - if you dont do parkour, dont call it parkour.

Man, f#ck david belle, why does it matter what he adheres to, and who does it matter too? (he does as much flipping as anyone out there anyway, so isn't he a freestyle parkourist or trickster?).  The only reason theres any importance in a deffinition of parkour is because a few people came up with it.  Why is parkour cool? because it was revolutionary.  Why? Because it was original (even though it wasn't, jackie chan was doing parkour way before Foucan, he just didn't have the same ego).

If the only reason the deffinition of parkour is because the people who came up with it were revolutionary (as you imply hiding behind David Belle as some sort of scripture).  So it follows still that the true value of the word parkour is in its revolutionary, original value.  Once again, personal style and originality are the ESSENCE of parkour.

Also, if you go to bilang.com right now you will see that he no longer accepts tricker videos with flips in them.  Flips aren't tricking, kicks are.  So what are the "trickers" that your refering to? parkourists exapnding the parkour world, being revolutionaries, or maybe just being themselves.

But i'll be an urban acrobat and not a parkourist, i just don't see why everyone has to debate What IS and isn't parkour if NOONE cares and noones against not parkour stuff.  the fact is people do care, and it doesn't matter whether what your doing is parkour or not by foucans deffinition.  thats my point!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:47:22 AM by Jon Andrew Nease »

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 11:13:34 AM »
(he does as much flipping as anyone out there anyway, so isn't he a freestyle parkourist or trickster?)
think of it like this, I used to be a platform diver.... does that make the times that i actually do practice parkour void? Ya, he created parkour, but i think hes allowed to do other things in his life without being hassled about it "not being parkour."

And with the comment about tricksters, that was a translation issue (not trying to speak for andi, but thats usually the case.... i think you know what he was referring to though).

He was just trying to confirm why his information might be valid. David made parkour, he knows what it is and isnt, and andi was passing that on to us.

I hope that cleared a few things up. I dont want this topic turning sour.  ;)

Offline Jon Andrew Nease

• Guenons
  • 3run style!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 12:22:55 PM »
Skippers the best  ;D

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 01:05:45 PM »
Yeah because of that Skip, I think this would make a good sticky or FAQ. Just to clear most of that crazy debating about parkour, what it is, etc. like a reference to all those still confused with an alternate thought, say if they are thinking that it's all just balogna and dumb they can come here. What do you guys think.

Oh yeah I'm not stupid I am just thinking like I did when I first started and thought all this crap was frustrating and stupid  ::), lol what a retard I was hmmm.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 01:18:14 PM »
Its really simple Jon parkour is what parkour is its been clearly and simply defined by the person that founded the sport. The problem isn't the defination the problem is people who think the should be able to use the name however they want. Saying f-ck david belle isn't going to win you any respect or help prove your point it just shows that your the one with an issue. If you think parkour was cool cause it was revolutionary that doesn't say anything about what parkour actually is it only shows what inspired you about it, if true parkour doesn't inspire you thats fine be an urban acrobat if thats how you want to be revolutionary just understand what it is that your talking about. Traceurs aren't going to have problem with you flipping of stuff if thats what you want just respect the art we practice.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 01:44:42 PM »

Man, f#ck david belle, why does it matter what he adheres to, and who does it matter too? (he does as much flipping as anyone out there anyway, so isn't he a freestyle parkourist or trickster?).  The only reason theres any importance in a deffinition of parkour is because a few people came up with it.  Why is parkour cool? because it was revolutionary.  Why? Because it was original (even though it wasn't, jackie chan was doing parkour way before Foucan, he just didn't have the same ego).

If the only reason the deffinition of parkour is because the people who came up with it were revolutionary (as you imply hiding behind David Belle as some sort of scripture).  So it follows still that the true value of the word parkour is in its revolutionary, original value.  Once again, personal style and originality are the ESSENCE of parkour.

Also, if you go to bilang.com right now you will see that he no longer accepts tricker videos with flips in them.  Flips aren't tricking, kicks are.  So what are the "trickers" that your refering to? parkourists exapnding the parkour world, being revolutionaries, or maybe just being themselves.

But i'll be an urban acrobat and not a parkourist, i just don't see why everyone has to debate What IS and isn't parkour if NOONE cares and noones against not parkour stuff.  the fact is people do care, and it doesn't matter whether what your doing is parkour or not by foucans deffinition.  thats my point!

a few things. the main thing in parkour isn't originality and style. sure, you can have originality in the way you move, but the "essence" as you so called it is moving quickly and efficiently. next, it doesn't matter if flips are tricking or not, the point was that they weren't parkour. also, just because David does things that are not parkou, doesn't make them parkour. it's not like his only purpose for living is to parkour nonstop 24/7. fourth parkour was created a long time ago (before many traceurs were even born) i'm pretty sure they are clear on the definition. and finally, i noticed you bring up sebastien foucan a lot. he didn't create parkour. david belle did. sebastien just got a lot of media attention.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 02:11:07 PM »
I see what this guy is talking about (original post) and i understand why he thinks this. He watches videos with flipping or a couple cool wall runs and vaults and thinks...yeah it looks cool but you only do it when you wana show off. Well if you continually practice a vault over a rail, it will become more effecent to vault the rail rather than to run around it. parkour is similart to martial arts. You practice practice practice and train train train until you're sore and tired so that way when the emergency happens you'll be prepared to use the skills you have mastered.
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline andi k

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 06:23:51 PM »
Man, f#ck david belle

erm ? what ?  oh wow..  it just sounded like the dirt on the sole of my old shoes spoke to me. weird....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 06:27:17 PM by andi k »

nuff said.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 07:31:06 PM »
J-A-N ...
First off, I agree with the other's who have said the the f-DB (really F-anyone for that matter, I don't care if it's DB you're talking about) really doesn't impress anything upon your point. The fact that it is DB you're talking about is kind of like being an escape artist and saying "f#ck Houdini" ... who's going to take you seriously after that?

I can tell you, and I hope you'll be open to listening to, where your understanding goes astray ...
Ultimately i figure, parkour is about movement and individuality.  If its not about individual style, and only efficiency, why do we bother with anything more difficult than what is literally needed to get places fast?  Why do we risk setting ourselves ultimately behind non traceurs with injuries? why do we drill techniques instead of moving somewhere? 

what you figure is wrong, Parkour is not about individuality. So, all the things you say past that don't really have merit. Secondly, if you are doing things other than "what';s needed to go places fast" then you're not doing parkour. Lastly, if what you're doing gets you "behind non-traceurs" then you're not doing it right :) You should be able to get somewhere faster now than you used to be able to, if not, then your training is either not effective, or it is not Parkour.

Now, nobody is telling you not to do non-parkour things, I do, everyone else here does, you're welcome to as well. what we ask is that you don't call those things parkour, and that you speak of Parkour from an educated standpoint. F- the founder is not an educated standpoint, any way you slice it :)

Hopefully this helps your understanding, please let me know if it doesn't or if it's unclear or raises questions, and we'll do our best to help.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 07:33:03 PM by M2 »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 12:45:11 AM »
Man, f#ck david belle

erm ? what ?  oh wow..  it just sounded like the dirt on the sole of my old shoes spoke to me. weird....

*Imagines Conversation on andi's shoe*

Dirt: Man f this david belle dude I have been this trode upon since WWII
Brick Particles: Yeah seriously we didn't even have to worry about this crap before that dude came along
Tree bark: Damn that bastard if it weren't for him I would still be attached to my tree not this crappy nike product.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 06:04:31 PM »
.... Congrats to Andi for not flying off the handle on that F-David Belle comment, I was expecting some serious havok after reading that post! Heh, it's funny that you would start this post Mr. Nease. The reason  why we have so many "What is Parkour" posts, is because of people like you, who don't do any research before hand and come on to a forum spouting a bunch of things that they don't know anything about. Plain and simple.

"why does it matter what he adheres to, and who does it matter too?"
You're kidding right? For the same reason people adhere to what the N.B.A says basketball is! For the same reason that people adhere to what Morhei Ueshiba says Aikido is! For the same reason that people adhere to the definiton of gravity!
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline RyanV

• Patas
  • There are 10 types of people in this world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 10:04:43 PM »
Now I now that I'm new to Parkour in a sense, but it seems to me that both traditional Parkour and the "tricks" should be able to coincide. I mean, if a new "flashier" move is developed that flows with the terrain and seems to fit with what you would do naturally, isn't it fine to utilize it when conditions call for it. If you take basketball for example, the creator, James Naismith probably did not intend for it to evolve into the "flashy" empire it is today, but among all that change, is it not still basketball? I could be way off base here, but i still think that if you use the "tricks", not to show off, but to make a fluid transition from one thing to the next, then it is fine.

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 10:35:16 PM »
Hmpf, I think newer people are getting too caught up with the concept of "flow". If  you would, ignore that entire concept, and think about this: Parkour was created with the thought in mind, that those that learn and become proficient in Parkour become useful. A traceur has the ability to get places faster, more effectively than most anyone else. Meaning, if a mass murderer was headed to your house, from the same location as you, to kill your little sister (for the sake of the argument) you would be able to get to your sister first, thus being able to save her life. Now, with that in mind, with your little sister's life on the line, you want to flip?

Okay, theoretically, yes, any movement could be Parkour, because Parkour is defined not by the movements but by intent and effective-ness but, is it REALLY worth it to argue that 1 time in 14 billion, a split vault would save your sister faster than a speed vault?

THAT is what David Belle created. A way to SAVE LIVES. Do you (not directed at you smilez  :) ) really want to tarnish that just so that you can simply show off? So that you can just jump around and have fun? Hey, to each their own, but please don't try to slow the rest of us, that want to pass on PARKOUR, down.

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline RyanV

• Patas
  • There are 10 types of people in this world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2006, 11:11:48 PM »
I didnt mean to step on anyones toes there, and yes if my sister was going to be killed i also would run balls-to-the-wall home. I just thought that there could be some sort of happy medium between the two "styles".

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2006, 11:34:11 PM »
Haha, See I think alot of people get hung up thinking that "purists" condemn any activity that isn't effiecent. We don't. If you want to do flips or flashy stuff or whatever, please, by all means, proceed;  you won't hear complaining from us. As long as you don't call it Parkour, simply because it is not. It would be like me trying to convince everyone to refer to Cars as bicycles because I never learned the word for car. Just because I'm ignorant doesn't mean that everyone else should have to bow to what I say.... I hope that made sense...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 10:29:28 AM by trACEur »

-www.PkCali.com-