Author Topic: Parkour / Freerunning Certification Process  (Read 25656 times)

Offline Nik "Nik" Horvat

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour / Freerunning Certification Process
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »
From a proficiency aspect I'd say we need to come up with a list of "moves" that the person should be able to perform, not to a superhuman degree but atleast 5 times in a row.  They should also have to be able to describe the movement and give "tips" for how to do it as if they were explaining to to a new person. 

From a safety aspect they should be familiar with basic conditioning and workout routines as well as basic info about the stresses placed on the body(even moreso when Demon gets done with his study).  Knowledge of physical fitness guidelines should also be required (not to the extent that they would qualify to be a personal trainer or nutritionist, but having those certifications would automatically qualify this part of the cert)

It would also be nice if a "teaching" seminar could be offered or required on basic tips for conveying a message to the uninitiated, resistant, etc.

This is just a cursory run through of some ideas any additions, subtractions, or suggestions are always welcome.
"All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible."
-William Faulkner

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2007, 11:10:38 AM »
how about instead of specific moves required its specific obstacles to overcome, the common variety where you overcome how you feel most comfortable doing so, and as far as repetition, there should be less than a 1% failure, it really should be something that you will always be able to do.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2007, 02:56:46 PM »
In terms of Time Trials...
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Derek Klein [MIAPK]

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • MIAPK
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2007, 02:58:21 AM »
Is this a PARKOUR cert or FREERUNNING cert? I think if we establish what the freerunning cert is first, then we can strip it down and apply it to parkour. The freerunning cert would test a lot of things that pk wouldn't, so to create two separate tests I feel is necessary; those people who don't understand the difference between the two disciplines would invariably seek to find out why each cert has different requirements. Example: time trials for pk and moves tests for fr. Both need to have safety be the main focus, esp for the trainer certs.. So how about a general SafetyCert that confirms a persons ability to perform and relay info about rolls, drops, and injury prevention that everyone passes first. Then comes a pk/fr split where they teach different philosophies, different opinions about moves, yet still have an emphasis on safety? Then would come any trainer certs. Each cert would require experience: a safety cert, no years and is a requirement before a group allows a new member to join; the proficiency cert two years (one year seems too short); and the trainer cert five years.
Take inventory of yourself, constantly. What you find yourself lacking in, work on it. There is no quicker way to progression.
-------------------------------------------------
MIAPK - Miami Parkour
FIU-PK - Florida Int'l University Parkour Club
http://miapk.com/
http://facebook.com/MiamiParkour

Offline Nik "Nik" Horvat

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »
how about instead of specific moves required its specific obstacles to overcome, the common variety where you overcome how you feel most comfortable doing so, and as far as repetition, there should be less than a 1% failure, it really should be something that you will always be able to do.

I like the obstacle course idea, but I'd still  have to go with also requiring them to be able to do certain moves.  If you're going to be a "Certified Trainer" you should be able to do a Speed Vault, Dash, Kong, Reverse, Turn, Pop, Cat Leap, Underbar, Precision etc.  These are moves you're going to be teaching others so you should demonstrate your ability to perform them.  Its not to say that Parkour should be so rigid as to limiting your movements, but basic stuff should be second nature to you.

Levenex,  I think you're right that if there are 2 different certifications, one for Parkour and one for Freerunning, that the safety cert. should be shared by both.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:03:33 AM by Nik »
"All of us failed to match our dreams of perfection. So I rate us on the basis of our splendid failure to do the impossible."
-William Faulkner

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Josh Russo

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »
I myself am very excited to be taking part in one of the first of your instructor certification courses! Even with youre predicted imperfections(which im sure are mostly worked out by now), i am looking forward to the learning experience. heck, ive learned more from my mistakes anyway so any imperfection is merely the mental barrier representative of the physical barriers we all seek to overcome. I am especially looking forward to the chance to spread the knowledge of what i love so much! All those who have judged their success by what they have accomplished are going about it the wrong way. Parkour has taught me to gauge my success by what i wish to accomplish and how far i have come from where i started over where it has taken me.

Offline 7Erik7

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • A CALL TO ARMS
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2012, 05:09:45 AM »
EDIT: Nothing. Why Was this thread dragged up?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:20:44 AM by 7Erik7 »