Author Topic: PK TAG  (Read 5676 times)

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
PK TAG
« on: January 20, 2006, 07:43:25 AM »
Someone mentioned this earlier on another thread and I had to start a thread about it.  My deepest apologies if this has been brought up specifically in other threads.

PK TAG

I love Pk Tag.  That game really really gets you in tune with the skills that your body uses to accomplish a "threatening situation."  I think one of the things that surprises you the most is the amount of traveling vaults that you use.  I had rarely thought about approaching things from the side and at different angles until I played Pk Tag.  !QM! has been a big movement in my parkour since I played my Pk tag.  It opened me up to lots of possibilities.  I do much more traveling kongs and thief vaults and lazy vaults now, when I use to never use them.  I can not express to you enough this QM while doing PK because it feels good it makes you strong and more prepared for everything.

On another note.  I have done lots of Free Style moves in PK tag though.  I.E. Palm Spin.  When trying to run away from a traceur I have acted like I was going to simple vault over a wall.  He goes over while I Palm spin and am out of harms way.  It is quite tricky to get the timeing down but oh man does it feel good when you trick someone like that.

I have not seen my self doing back flips or Ariel's but I have done a front flip...no one wants to try and touch you if your all flipping in the air like.  They feel like they are going to get a heel in the face or something.  Also surprisingly enough...the dash came in handy.  Although I really like the dash and I am good at it...maybe a reason why I use it.

True its only a hand that is coming after you not a knife but you still get a Flee or Fight feeling.  CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO.  I played a session of Pk tag with about 10 people for almost 45 Min's.  I felt like I was going to DIE!  It's really helped.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: PK TAG
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 08:31:42 AM »
Good stuff, but "PK Tag"? Isn't it just "Tag"? :P
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 08:42:11 AM »
Good stuff, but "PK Tag"? Isn't it just "Tag"?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Is good to know how much fun you have when you play it though, and I encourage any traceur to play tag as an effective training method. Good looking out.

However I do see you trying to justify freestyle.

I have not seen my self doing back flips or Ariel's but I have done a front flip...no one wants to try and touch you if your all flipping in the air like.

Well, none of your FRIENDS want to touch you while you're flipping in the air, because they don't want to mess you up and hurt you. For instance, in an escape situation, where someone is pursuing you with the INTENT to injure you, doing a frontflip is just making it easier for them.

Unless you're sonic the hedgehog.

Other than that part, I don't want to touch this whole freestyle thing, so I'll just wrap up by saying tag is a fun training tool.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 08:48:45 AM by Asa »

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 08:58:40 AM »
Tag is also an almost perfect example of what parkour is, you don't think "vault, climb, jump", you think "run", "get away", "fast"!

It is the mind that keeps most people from doing physical things, put the mind somewhere else and the physical come naturally to most.

Hone those skills and you have a Traceur.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Deft

• Definitely NOT a wanker...
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 09:11:40 AM »
We play tag in a urban environment and not a open field and believe me if you are "it" you will have to put all your skills to the test.
Vaults, precisions, cats, and more all come into play. We have a rule that you can not touch someone in mid- vault, jump, or anything  that could knock someone off balance or get them hurt. (basically they have to have at least 1 foot on the ground.)

Matt- I will be giving you the footage of our tag game tomorrow. Hopefully we can post it soon to show a example of this.
I really hope the footage shows what you were talking about with the palm spin diversion trick. You almost got me with that and it really stuck in my mind as a useful tool in tricking a potential attacker with a "trick." I am glad that it stick in your mind also. ;D

The joy of surpassing the limits of the body is open to all.
-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 09:21:20 AM »
I love playing tag with a bunch o' traceurs. I have only done it once with a big group of people, but it was really fun. Also, we were playing it on skyline park in downtown Denver (sky line was designed by Lawrence halprin) and that added to the fun a lot too. I know what you mean about how it gets really tiring though. after one round of that, i was gasping for air forever, also not to mention the fact that we were in the mile-high city, and air is a little thinner ;). I have never really done pk to get away from somebody or "escape" and that was the first time where i ever felt the need to get away fast and pk came pretty naturally. That experience also helped me set up the mindset of what pk was all about. So, i suggest anyone who hasn't done it yet, to go out and play tag. it doesn't even have to be with traceurs, it could be with people who don't do pk...making so that you never would be tagged. ;) lol.  Also, if you play tag with people who don't do pk once or twice, then you are probably getting more of a feeling and an idea for what real life would  be like. because it is unlikely that you would have to escape from traceurs.

Offline Deft

• Definitely NOT a wanker...
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 10:23:18 AM »
Picking a good hotspot for pk tag is important.  I bet the Halprin "playground" would be an awesome area to do that!

The joy of surpassing the limits of the body is open to all.
-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 10:47:33 AM »
The reason why I deemed it "PK Tag" is because usually when just playing normal tag as a 5 year old or something you are on a open field or basketball court.  Hence why I say "PK Tag" because you are specifically training your head that you need to take obstacles to overcome your attacker as you would normally on the street.

Yea, the rule in our group is to not mess with some one as they were vaulting.  I still think the flip would throw off an attacker...if it were at least a diving front flip or something.  I'll go ahead and not validate it though, I would rather not argue.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 12:18:31 PM »
I love tag, we really need to play it more here in the springs :D.  What do you springers say to playing tag at the next jam?
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline kaos

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »
Try playing tag in a 15 by 15 square.  You learn to escape someone without ever really going anywhere.
Parkour creates communities, not rivalries. Keep competition out of parkour.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 03:02:50 PM »
I have never done it but it looks like it could be fun. One thing though... to me it seems like a good way to get careless and carried away.  :-\
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 08:18:53 AM »
yay pk tg :) i'm not really fit enough to be good at it though, as I'm kinda slow and I have to stop after like a minute ... good times though. I actually used a tic-tac cat leap to get away from it once, that was awesome. i gate vaulted over the rail just as he swung at me ... glorious. And another time I was able to underbar and the guy behind me vaulted it, I stopped and 360 underbarred back though  :)  Tag also promotes runs over single trick stuff, which the NY scene needs desperately
PK4LIFE!

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 10:46:23 AM »
yay pk tg :) i'm not really fit enough to be good at it though, as I'm kinda slow and I have to stop after like a minute ... good times though. I actually used a tic-tac cat leap to get away from it once, that was awesome. i gate vaulted over the rail just as he swung at me ... glorious. And another time I was able to underbar and the guy behind me vaulted it, I stopped and 360 underbarred back though  :)  Tag also promotes runs over single trick stuff, which the NY scene needs desperately
And then (no offence to you) you jump off too high of a building to get away and break you legs or back and die. It does sound fun though, there would be no compatition around here for me because of my speed :-\.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 02:17:44 PM »
Tag also promotes runs over single trick stuff, which the NY scene needs desperately

Yea but how do you get that started at a jam. Usually there are too many or too little people when i go. Maybe when the spring comes around someone will arrange a "PK TAG JAM"

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 02:48:54 PM »
Picking a good hotspot for pk tag is important.  I bet the Halprin "playground" would be an awesome area to do that!

it was awesome.

I love tag, we really need to play it more here in the springs :D.  What do you springers say to playing tag at the next jam?

sounds good to me. i always mean to start one but i always forget.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 04:24:09 PM »
theres too much quoting going on here.

Steez

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 07:22:28 PM »
theres too much quoting going on here.

too much is an entirely relative and subjective statement.  ;)

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 10:57:21 AM »
...someones gona be a lawyer haha

PK TAG RULES

pointless post.....over
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline goldie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 04:43:57 AM »
me and a couple of mates played tag in a childrens play park it was AWESOME and i found my self doing more daring stuff which helped me alot with confidence, although it was the same play park were i fell onto my head from quite a height and got that thing were your go all dizzy not concussion the other one ummmmm vertigo not sure how i got vertigo though i thought it was to do with being scared of heights. but yea i agree with m2 it helps to show people what parkour is too!
0 ( unhappy cyclops
0 ( unhappy cyclops