Author Topic: When does a "newb" graduate?  (Read 8224 times)

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
When does a "newb" graduate?
« on: January 18, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »
Well, I was just wondering, at what point does a newb stop being a newb if ya know what I mean.  I've been doing parkour for about 5 months now and I still feel like a newb.  Does it depend on skill or does it depend on understanding, or does it depend on something else? I was just kinda wondering so I figured I would go ahead and put it on out there ;)
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: When does a "newb" graduate?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 09:56:25 PM »
I've been doing parkour for about 5 months now and I still feel like a newb

you stop being a newb when you stop feeling like a newb  ;)

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »
im a newb. being a newb is cool.

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 10:03:34 PM »
Ya know, if you think about it we're all newbs compared to people like David Belle and Seb Foucan.  I kinda like being a newb too, it gives you an excuse when you screw up on things  ;)
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 10:03:52 PM »
Im totally a bigger newb than you demon!!!!

i can out-newb you any day of the week!

BOO-YA-KA-SHA

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 10:37:02 PM »
I have been doing for about 5 months aswell and at times when i pull somehing off that i had time doing i don't feel like a newb. Put in general i feel like a newb since there are some skills i can't do.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 12:51:45 AM »
It all depends on context but for me when understanding parkour becomes a intutive instead of something you have really think about or question thats when your not really a newb anymore. Of course I think you have reach a certain level of training before you can reach that point mentally parkour only becomes understood through practice in my experience.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Jon Andrew Nease

• Guenons
  • 3run style!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 01:00:37 AM »
skippers will never be a newb haha, hes hardcore.  I think it comes when your abe to do more technical stuff besides kongs and jumping down hieghts to a roll.  Newbs jump down and over stuff and not much else.

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 06:02:48 AM »
Never stop your pursuit of self improvement, regardless of what your "status" might be.

That's my advice.

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 06:47:12 AM »
i agree with both faelcind and asa

Offline phragile

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 11:14:03 AM »
I completely agree with Asa. Newb or not, there is always room for improvement. I have no doubt Belle and Seb are still working on discovering new movements, or increasing their speed, or, at the very least, still strength training to be better at what they do.

But with that said, and to answer the question at hand, I think there are two ways to approach it:

1) You are always a newb, because never in our lifetime will we perfect the art in such a way to move without error or learn to move without wasting even a fraction of a second than is possible (i.e. speed of light) - it just cannot happen.

2) You stop being a newb when you have mastered the techniques well enough to know which techniques to use for which obstacles and can react on short notice (i.e., going for a run and approaching obstacles you have never run to before). That one's a bit more dangerous, but will push your limits extensively.

A true professional of any martial art, or any sport, will always be wise to push his limits beyond what he has already mastered.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 11:19:02 AM »
or 3) there is no such thing as a newb. it is a state of mind that hinders your confidence, and when you raise your confidence level to a point where you feel confident about your body and how it moves, then you can accelerate your learning curve  :)

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 11:27:44 AM »
stfu n00b

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 01:10:46 PM »
stfu n00b

LOL Pistol

I was never a noob because there was nobody around to call me one (besides Willgrind747 but he was a couple 100 miles away). I was the first in my area and now I call everyone around here noobs until they get the basics and understanding.

I never really call them a noob because thats disrespectful unless they can't do a kong after a whole year (one of my friends) which is very pathetic in my opinion. BTW: This kid has no disabilities because in my opinion that would be disrespectful unless it's Don Vito.

P.S. Hes coming to my school tomarrow, yey for the radio.
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 01:31:32 PM »
youre such a noob.

and don vito is the greatest person alive! hahahaha he makes me laugh at all times of the day.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 02:25:32 PM »
how many post does a nood, have to have, before he is called a mod
the answer my friend is in the FAQ's, its in the FAQ's

Sing to Bob dylans blowing in the wind
I crack myself up

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 03:34:14 PM »
Quote from: Skipper
there is no such thing as a newb. it is a state of mind that hinders your confidence, and when you raise your confidence level to a point where you feel confident about your body and how it moves, then you can accelerate your learning curve  :)

I'm definitely gonna have to agree with you on that.  After thinking about it for a while I realized that newbs are just people that haven't totally formulated their ideas yet, the mental "state of mind" that you talked about plays a huge role in the refinement of these ideas.  We all have our different skill levels and strengths.  Though newcomers to pk may not have the experience or understanding that some of the other traceurs do, they still have a whole mess of ideas in their heads.  I know this because I've been spending these past couple of months trying to sort out all the different ideas I've had in my head.  Once those ideas are totally refined and formulated I'll supposodly be an "expert" in my own way.  We all need to strive to formulate all of the different ideas that we have in our heads, once we have accomplished that we will be able to push eachother as a community to great things.  We all have different ideas about parkour, some are amazing, some are not so great, but thats what the process of refining is for.  By adding our refined ideas to the bases of parkour we are able to build it into our way of life.  I'm actually not sure if "ideas" is the right word for what I'm trying to say, by saying "ideas" it feels like I'm encouraging people to make parkour what they want it to be, and that is definitely not what I'm trying to say.  Maybe "feelings" of parkour would fit better, I'm starting to feel like I'm not really getting my thoughts through again, maybe this would help:  When gold is refined it is heated to melting temperatures, when it has reached a liquid state the impurities in the gold begin to rise to the surface, then once they are on the surface they are simply scooped off and all that is left it the pure refined gold :).  This is somewhat like what is happening on these forums, people are stating a lot of they're ideas (good and bad ones) and many of the bad ones are rising to the surface.  This is causing a lot of heated debate in a lot of areas, but of course this is bound to happen. Once these "impurities" arise it is the job of the rest of the pk community (mainly the more experienced ones) to help take these "impurities" away, leaving only the good  ;).  I'm not sure if I'm really getting my thoughts through but this is the best I can do for now, so I am sorry if anyone is somehow offended by this.  After all I too am still in the process of being refined  ;).   

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 03:45:43 PM »
Cheetah, that is an excellent post. very nice comparison with gold, i couldnt have put it better!

People have a fixed idea. they cant change the meaning of parkour, but the variable in parkour is the way it fits into someone's life. the way it makes them feel, if they use it as meditation or not, to fill a physical void, to use up their free time, etc. I think thats what you were trying to say, and its pretty damn insightful, thanks cheetah!

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 03:46:39 PM »
Actually I beleive the acurate measurement of graduation from newbness is how many ladies your parkour gets ya.  

Ã‚                                                                                                                                                              0-16            newb
 Ã‚                                                                                                                                                              16-25           semi-playa
 Ã‚                                                                                                                                                              25-100         playa
 Ã‚                                                                                                                                                              100-200       semi pimp
 Ã‚                                                                                                                                                              200-500       pimp
 Ã‚                                                                                                                                                              500+           me

(They had to make a new category for me)  BOO-YA-KA-SHA

I got the Ali G reference Skipper  ;)

"Sexy time, Sexy time Explosion"

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 03:51:30 PM »
Yeah i agree with you cheetah, i've been feeling the same way, yet I havn't heard of a good metaphor, I was thinking on the lines of natural selection, but i like yours better. *karma*