Author Topic: parkour Team UrbanLife  (Read 7382 times)

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
parkour Team UrbanLife
« on: September 11, 2007, 06:33:34 AM »
This a video compilation of some of the skill that have developed within the past couple of months compared to my last video! This is what training four times a week can get you! Tell me what you think!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=td8xKCc6IBo
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
Re: parkour Team UrbanLife
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:43:29 AM »
Your speed vaults are INSANE!  Good job.  It's obvious that you're training hard.  Keep it up!   ;D
Queen of Puns

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 09:51:33 AM »
Thanks man I really appreciate the comment, I just try to train enough so that moves flow along with the speed/power.
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »
OK HERES the new link I had to edit something that was really bothering me, but here you go!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Ca6qlrvvRY

Offline toekneebullard

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • tonybullard.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »
I stopped watching after you put "9 ft. Kong" on the video. 

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 01:37:23 PM »
why? would you stop watching?

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 01:41:53 PM »
In all technicality the kong is 8' 7", I actually used a measuring tape for it!

Moa

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 01:43:16 PM »
I stopped watching after you put "9 ft. Kong" on the video. 

What the H#!! do you mean omg they put 9 ft kong on it that is egotistical blah blah blah. They own that was great amazing how you guys interact with your environment. BTW how long have you guys been doing parkour you are very very good?

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »
I dont know if that guy was saying that it was crazy that I did the 8'7" Kong, or he was saying I was lying! It doesnt matter because anybody with some common sense can see that that kong was over 8'0". I really do appreciate all the compliments! In all honesty you will be mad when you know how long I have been parkouring for. Anyway I have been doing Parkour for 4 months; but I also have a background in breakdancing, and gymnastics, and my other friend has only been doing it for 2 months!

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 04:16:41 PM »
Your speed vaults are amazing; is that because of the breakdancing background? Cause a lot of break moves go in kind of that position. Also, I loved the wall runs, but I think you should incorporate those overhangs into them somehow: that would be sick. Just a suggestion...but awesome vid.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 05:14:26 PM »
The vaults with the close rails starting around 1:20 look obviously sped up.

I think the reason the other person commented on the 9 ft. kong thing is just the fact that you felt it necessary to label it and point it out to us. We can see it is big and its a good accomplishment, but pointing it out like that can appear a little pretentious or attention seeking to some people. Be proud of your accomplishments but stay humble at the same time. There is no shame in showing excitement about getting something new but the reason you accomplish it is for yourself, not for showing off to others. By the way, I'm not saying that you necessarily did any of this, I am just saying it could come across that way to some.

Didn't see any rolls in the video. I wouldn't comment on it if all the landings were good and controlled, but they weren't. I saw quite a few rough landings and definitely some that would've been much better with a roll.

Another common thing I saw was flailing around in the air during a big drop. It tells me you are slightly out of control and over your head with the movements you are doing. If you are flailing around like that, practice the same thing at a smaller level until you can do it 100% controlled and with good form.

It was a good video though. Overall, your speed was very good which is one thing newer people tend to have a lot of trouble with. You guys are doing well for the amount of time you've practiced. It's just on these forums, people tend to post a decent video and get a lot of high praise, but nobody steps up to comment on what they can do better. We can all improve so hopefully you will work on some of the stuff I pointed out.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 05:18:08 PM by Demon »

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 05:27:56 PM »
I appreciate your comment but in all honesty nothing was speed up only slowed down. I can actually have my friends from team urban Velocity vouch for that. I will however have to admit that on my jumps I could work on my control while in the air. I will definitely work on that. and in regards to the rolls I am the only one that can do rolls, they are in the progress of doing so as well. After watching David Belle's videos and the things that he says you dont always have to roll, as long as you support the drop with the bending of your legs, and the slight resistance of your arms you shouldnt have any problems. On drops that are over 12-15ft it is definitely necessary to roll or else injury is more then likely going to occur! I love to hear constructive critisizm because it will only make us better in the end!

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »
I commented on youtube. Basically overall it was a great video. You've got things to work on namely rolls and fluidity going INTO and OUT of vaults. A few times I noticed your step out from a vault was a little iffy, just work on technique and you'll notice that you can land more controlled! You should be rolling more often, I saw one in the beginning and it was alright. 12-15ft drops shouldn't be done at all so... thats no excuse to not know how to roll.

The speed was excellent - I really DO hope you didnt speed it up  ;)

GOOD LUCK and I hope to see more from you guys in the future. Looks promising!
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Jus7in

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 06:26:50 PM »
1:20 is definitely sped up, it doesn't look natural. But I liked the other stuff, you have lots of Parkour in your area, which helps a lot in getting better.
W.W.O.D. - What Would Oleg Do

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 06:48:33 PM »
I'll be honest... the kids quick. His speed continuously amazes me. And C-Lo is getting better all the time.

DANNY!

Great video using all MY SPOTS! S.O.B.

Sunday at noon. You should come.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 06:50:09 PM »
here I will prove it to you about 1:20. If you look at the people in the background of the clip you will notice that they are walking very slowly now if I sped it up you would not see them walking slowly you would see them walking at a faster pace! Anyways I am really sorry that you feel that way about the clip, it really doesnt matter, bars are my strong part, and if you ask me a lot of the things we do doesnt look natural to others that view it. In regards to the rolls you are soooo right I need to work on them more they are not one of my strong points but make sure all of you keep in mind I have only been doing this for 4 months, Parkour is an art and progression is a major part of it; matter a fact thats pretty much what it's all about! But in all I really appreciate the critisizm I will definitely work on the weak points that you pointed out!

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 07:02:47 PM »
WOW, I forgot to tell you LeoNn your suggestion about my fluidity going into and out of my vaults is amazing. I never even noticed that, but now that you brought it to my attention I will definitely work on that tomorrow. Amazing suggestion, I appreciate it to the fullest! and to you Atria, I appreciate you vouching for my speed, I just dont think they realize the speed and power that I bring; it doesnt matter anyway because like previously said parkour isnt about impressing anyone it's about displaying your progression!

Offline schuby

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 07:22:51 PM »
Ok maybe I'm wrong, but since he already has a Gymnast background, shouldn't he already be conditioned for some drops? Not that he shouldn't roll, but doesn't that mean he won't really have to do a lot of the pre-drops conditioning the rest of us have to do?

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »
I definitely see your point but here check this video out you will see that the legend himself doesnt incorporate rolls even at some 12ft-15ft drops. All I know is that if your body is built (muscularly) to absorb the amount of pressure from a jump around 10-12ft. I dont see it necessary to roll; but for injury sake we should consider rolls first.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x98jCBnWO8w         (David belle, he doesnt roll through a majority of the video)

Offline Jus7in

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 07:38:47 PM »
Rolls from straight drops are hard to get momentum to flow into a roll, since everything is going directly out of the roll. I think thats what some of you guys are pointing out. Remember David Belle has been doing this for 18 years and he is much more conditioned towards drops.  You r body is not meant for drops that high automatically. You take a normal person and drop him from 12 feet and he'll break something. You have to train continuously to be able to take those without consequences.
W.W.O.D. - What Would Oleg Do