Author Topic: Lower Back Pain  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Acewall

• Mangabey
  • He's half black!.....No, he's 50%!
    • View Profile
Lower Back Pain
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
Recently, probably the last 2 weeks, my lower back has been bothering me quite a bit. It hurts to strech it, even if I try to touch my toes. I'm not sure what it's from but I have been doing a lot of frontflips lately, and I generally land in a kinda low postion. Could it be because of that? What can I do to make it feel better? What is it thats actually hurting? Thnx!!!
"Does this work?...Let's call some bitches."

Offline TheTussin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Lower Back Pain
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 08:34:20 PM »
Well does it feel like muscle pain? Bone pain? Maybe even kidney pain?

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 03:52:19 PM »
Front flips can definately do that to you.  The major muscle in hip flexion is the psoas, which connects straight into the upper to mid back.  On top of that ,the flont flip has a lot of forceful extension often in people who are doing the move incorrectly, or landing incorrectly.  Make sure when you do a front flip, not to stick your belly out before juming to whip yourself around.  when you flip forward, watch your landing and don't jar yourself, you want to keep your abs tight as you land.  if you are landing low, you are probably not jumping up enough, go up before going around. lots of people who land low like that are pretty much creating a whiplash like injury to their low back over and over, from hyperextension, to flexion with impact.  Stabilize your core, and train the core with exercises to the gluts, abs, pelvic floor etc etc.  If it keeps bothering you, definitely tone down the training, give your back a break, don't eat things with sugar (ligament stability), and if its real bad, see a good chiro. :)
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline Acewall

• Mangabey
  • He's half black!.....No, he's 50%!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 06:27:50 PM »
Thanks alot Cheetaur. I haven't seriously done a front flip in about 2 weeks (I did maybe 4 last weekend). My back feels a decent amount better, but not completely. I've decided that I'm going to roll out of my fronts from now on. Would that help with my back pain?? Thanks again.
"Does this work?...Let's call some bitches."

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 06:58:27 PM »
Core strength is your best bet. It's better to strengthen your body to do them properly rather than modify your whole flip technique to accommodate for something that's causing you pain. Set some L-sit goals, and do front and side planks, and cat grabs like there's no tomorrow. Pilates rolls are also a good core strengthener, especially for what you are trying to develop it for.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 03:01:13 PM »
I'm fairly certain I had the same problem as you.  it might be your quadratus lumborum.

http://vancouvermassage.ca/resources/images/spot02.gif

that look about where it hurts?

Offline naroz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 02:29:33 PM »
Wow, that's exactly what I wanted to know... Other than stretching what do you recommend?
Being 'as good as you can get' means you never stop learning.

Offline Blarg

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My 'Space
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 03:18:10 PM »
Well, not sure if this is what you want, but the assistant at the open gym I go to every now and then says for back pain, lay on your back, curl up, and roll back and forth.
AIM me if you're near Chester, VA n wanna train...
Me: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/the_blarg_ninja/100_2701.jpg
Now stop asking.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 04:04:55 PM »
Yeah, thanks for the tips. I get lower back pain too, especially when I do a lot of precision jumps. I have been trying everything I can to alleviate it, such a stretching alot, trying to keep good posture, working on my jump technique, etc, but I never heard about the curl and roll method. Nice tip. Will give it a try and report back with success hopefully :)