Author Topic: "Style" vs "pure"  (Read 13932 times)

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
Re: "Style" vs "pure"
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2006, 09:27:42 PM »
The front flip may get you over the rail but in doing so has it fufilled the goals of speed and efficiency. A front flip can be very fast when executed correctly but it requires more energy more technique and adds an element of danger that is unneccesary there is no point in doing a front flip when a simple vault will do. To understand what is parkour think about what you would do in an emergency situation say you saw someone mugging your mom would you vault that rail or flip it?

Good point. I sometimes forget that parkour isn't just getting from A to B but getting there in an efficently way for escape or another case of emergency.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2006, 09:53:50 PM »
Thanks the thing is you have train with that mindset to understand parkour. Untill you actually talk that mindset into your training is not really parkour, even if you only do efficient moves. Its the mindset that defines the art. It took me a while to go from accepting the defination of parkout to actually understanding. I am gymnast and my first posts on parkour boards were very much like what you just said.

It is of course fine if you perfer to practive movement without parkours mindset I admire tricking yamakasi/freerunning as much as the next guy, but at least try to train that way for awhile so you can understand why traceurs think the way they do.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2006, 09:58:46 PM »
Just remember if you are tying to justify "parkour" It probebly isnt parkour.  Just remember 100% effeciency and you should be ok.  Some would argue a diveing front flip might be more efficient although keep that to your self because your not going to win an arguement about it.  What you were explaining was FreeStyle Parkour.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2006, 10:32:59 PM »
I know it would be considered freestyle i was just trying to see why.

Although i have been into parkour for about 5 months only recently since i started visiting these forums have i gotten a better understanding of it. So for that i give evryone a thumbs up (b'_')b.

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2006, 10:51:06 AM »
Expressing yourself through parkour:

okay you don't express yourself...but more like you have an emotional discharge through parkour. For example, when i'm really angry i go out and do some pk. And when i'm out there i'm like an animal. it's like i reach a new level when the emotion plays into it. Also when i'm stressed i just forget about everything when i'm out doin parkour...which may be a bad thing cuz i'll forget to do a big project when its due the next day :-X. haha but anyway parkour is a great way to release your emotions in a good way.
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2006, 11:54:44 AM »
Well ERI104  That is what parkour is to you.  So it might be different to someone else.  It's more about mentality and why people do it for themselves.  This is why I started a thread a while back about WHY you PK.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 05:48:46 PM by Matthew Lee Willis »
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2006, 05:27:59 PM »
Wow, It's amazing how easy we tend to get off topic, but it happens ;).  Anyway I would just kind of like to bring it back to the subject (I can see this straying into the "whats parkour and whats not" subject, and we all know that plenty of topics have strayed in that direction).  I would really just like to keep this one along the lines of "style", straying some is fine, but if you want to head down another road entirely it is quite simple to start a new topic ;).  Wlaakawanzaziwhan!  Hopefully my magic word will bring us back on topic ;D.
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2006, 08:23:41 AM »
i should have quoted this in my last post

I do parkour to express myself
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2006, 09:28:41 AM »
i should have quoted this in my last post

I do parkour to express myself

Thats good then, from what I read in your few months of Parkour you get the idea of what Parkour should be to you if you fully understand the philosophy and some other peoples ideas. :)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Ando

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • CHICAGO PARKOUR AERO
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2006, 11:18:02 AM »
In terms of style, I see it this way.  Everyone has their own by what moves they are good at and then what moves they choose to do the majority of their time practicing Parkour, that is style.  Whether or not its pure depends on the type of moves.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2006, 12:07:55 PM »
you can even take it farther than that. ive used this example before, and i feel it gets the point across nicely.
Say you have someone who is 5'1", and you have someone that is 6'5". They both approach a rail that is 4 feet tall and they are both shooting for maximum efficiency. the taller does a kong over the top, while the shorter finds that to be harder to do for his specific body style, so he does an underbar. two different styles, determined by the individual's body type.

This is a very broad comparison though. its not only divided between short and tall, there are hundreds of factors that determine the style. armstrength, favored hand, hairstyle, etc.

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2006, 12:40:43 PM »
But say the tall guy does the underbar, that may mean he is more stylish because it will probably look cooler or if the short guy does the Kong it will look harder and in my opinion style is how it looks so if it looks cooler you may be more stylish but there are different types of styles :). Yeah,  what you do makes it pure not how cool it looks so you can do whatever you want, mix them together, choose to be pure and not do more of the tricking moves or say legspread vaults etc., or choose to be cool and be stylish and do whatever it takes to make it look the best :-\.

I would choose the combined way because efficiency is a big factor also and some of the style moves are very very inefficient.
It's all up to you ;).
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2006, 12:58:38 PM »
i didnt quite follow that one. it sounds like you explained two different stand points.

if the tall guy does an underbar and the short guy does a kong, it will most likely be less efficient than what is best for their body, and that makes it not parkour.

other than personal body types and what your body will allow you to do best, there is no style in parkour because you are left with the type of style that falls under 'flair' and showing off. and im sure you know that those are not parkour.  :)

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2006, 01:31:44 PM »
i didnt quite follow that one. it sounds like you explained two different stand points.

if the tall guy does an underbar and the short guy does a kong, it will most likely be less efficient than what is best for their body, and that makes it not parkour.

other than personal body types and what your body will allow you to do best, there is no style in parkour because you are left with the type of style that falls under 'flair' and showing off. and im sure you know that those are not parkour.  :)

Exactly.. that was like  my next post to this topic lol with a bit of moding but thats what it was going to mean :).

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2006, 01:35:50 PM »
Thats good then, from what I read in your few months of Parkour you get the idea of what Parkour should be to you if you fully understand the philosophy and some other peoples ideas. :)

thanks man! i appreciate it  :)
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2006, 02:00:04 PM »
Cool, just don't express yourself to much or you could end up in the hospitle :-\.

BTW: listen to Skipper he knows his S%$t.

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2006, 06:54:36 PM »
So mainly what I've gotten from this so far is that the only real style in parkour comes in little variations in the way you move and your body type.  I've also  been able to greatly increase my understanding of parkour by watching the movie "Banlieue 13", It really shows one of the best applications and purposes of parkour (I highly recommend it).  But anyway back to the subject.  I can now see that in practicing parkour you must practice the most efficient ways possible to move.  If you want to add flair for fun then go ahead, just with the understanding that you will not be adding flair in if you really need to move quickly, (unless of course you enjoy showing off to your assailants before the stick a knife through you ;)).  Of course when you add some flair in while practicing that "flair" is not really parkour, but I really don't want to go into what is and what isn't parkour, please save that for other topics (there are plenty).  I want to thank you all for your input so far, I think I have "refined" my understanding of parkour through topic at least a little bit, but if any of you have anything else to add please keep posting.  I actually enjoy learning when I'm not sitting cramped in a little desk at school being lectured.  I don't mind at all learning about things that I enjoy :) 

"Onward to a higher understanding of parkour" ;D
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2006, 06:58:05 PM »
*applaud*
I am the Egyptian Monkey

1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop