Author Topic: 5k run  (Read 8452 times)

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: 5k run
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 06:13:17 PM »
XC mustdie. It's the worse possible thing ever. We ran six  milez today and I sucked. My hands shake, my eyes can barely see, my knee hurts like hell, and my head shakes in rhythm with sound in headset.

But hey, I'm coming back coz it's fun :))

Acewall, I don't know my 5k time yet. Although I don't think I'd do good =)

Makoa, I felt that running is the most important thing in parkour. Running is what you do most of the parkour-run.  That's why I like to run and like parkour. That's why I joined XC this year :)
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 06:59:56 PM »
Yeah I did cross country last year. I'm never doing it again, or I thought I wasn't. It was kinda fun, but it's so much work. I've always been a pretty fast runner, but never had much endurance. But after just that one season I actually felt healthier. But I read this thread last night, and was kind of inspired to run today (plus all my friends have school, I'm all alone). So I went outside with a bottle of water and my iPod, and I just ran. I ran around my neighborhood like 6.5 times (every two time around is a mile I think). Afterwards I felt great, I even went for a swim. So I was wondering is there any way to get back into shape for running CC pretty quickly? Oh and what are your 5k times/mile times?

Just like with training in parkour, there are no shortcuts. If you try to put in too much millage you'll just end up hurting yourself. You have to start slow and build up slow (like around 20 miles a week).

Offline Acewall

• Mangabey
  • He's half black!.....No, he's 50%!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 07:04:20 PM »
Yeah, I figured that was gonna be the answer...Oh well.
"Does this work?...Let's call some bitches."

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 07:41:45 PM »
Yeah, I figured that was gonna be the answer...Oh well.

Well don't let that discourage you from running. Just build up slowly. Just start at around 4-6 miles a day or so (well from sophomore year on we started at around 6 miles a day).

Offline naroz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2007, 09:03:35 PM »
XC mustdie. It's the worse possible thing ever. We ran six  milez today and I sucked. My hands shake, my eyes can barely see, my knee hurts like hell, and my head shakes in rhythm with sound in headset.

But hey, I'm coming back coz it's fun :))

Makoa, I felt that running is the most important thing in parkour. Running is what you do most of the parkour-run.  That's why I like to run and like parkour. That's why I joined XC this year :)

That's inspiring man.
Being 'as good as you can get' means you never stop learning.

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 04:20:01 PM »
By the way, which is the best breathing sequence for you guys?
It seems like the most effective for me is: long breath in (two steps)-breath out(step)-breath out(step-long breath in(two steps)-...etc. I tried to force this today and it made quite a huge difference.
- The Prefontaine

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
By the way, which is the best breathing sequence for you guys?
It seems like the most effective for me is: long breath in (two steps)-breath out(step)-breath out(step-long breath in(two steps)-...etc. I tried to force this today and it made quite a huge difference.

We never really focused on timing with your steps as much as just controlling your breathing and making breaths even.

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 08:33:35 PM »
Well, we don't focus on anything. Just run LSDs, tempos and speed intervals :)
Nothing about technique of running or breathing.
- The Prefontaine

Offline naroz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 11:22:39 PM »
My warm up for runs is i-o repeated. And then as I warm up, it becomes rhythmic.. the rhythm changes every time I run. When I'm low on energy it's i-i-o-o-i-i-o-o and then after I recover it's back to a rhythm.
Being 'as good as you can get' means you never stop learning.

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 07:43:54 AM »
Well, we don't focus on anything. Just run LSDs, tempos and speed intervals :)
Nothing about technique of running or breathing.

First of all, by LSD I assume you mean "long slow distance?"

If so, that cracks me up. I didn't know anyone else called it that. We had a sorta crazy, older coach who when telling us to go on a run one time used that term and said something like "Okay fellas, time to do your LSD... long slow distance... not to be confused with the hallucinagen often used in the 60s."

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 08:33:14 AM »
What the hell? We just put some LSD in our mouth and fly long slow distances using those good, green wings. I like the ones with silver marks on 'em.
But don't tell it to anyone, it's our private training secret! ;D
- The Prefontaine

Offline RejectOfGravity

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2007, 01:00:04 PM »
I have been a XC runner for 3 years now and the best thin to remember is to have a strong natural form (it took 2 years for mine to develop) and to keep your splits even. staying even at race pace is better than sprinting and being caught, also don't let people pass you and pick a person at least 2 other people in between you to catch at every 3/4 mile or so

Steez

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2007, 08:40:35 AM »
haha, our xc team mottos are:
"LSD gives a better high than speed"
"let's mosey"
"keep it sexy"
which basically sums up xc...

our schedule is like this:
monday:speed work
Tuesday morning: recovery, lsd
tuesday afternoon: speed
wednesday: meet
thursday morning: recovery, lsd
thursday afternoon: speed
friday: recovery or meets...varies
saturday: meet

our mileage is pretty high...this tuesday we did over 13 miles total.  it varies week to week, though.

omahabeef,
while i agree with almost everything you've said, i think that you can still have a hardcore sprint at the end of the race even after pushing it hard for the whole race.  This is because a full-on anaerobic sprint uses different muscle fibers/groups than you've been using.  it just hurts super bad because you go into oxygen debt very very quickly.  but if you've got it mentally, you should be able to run all-out on the last 200m, after accelerating consistently from 400-600m out.  we're also taught that the last mile should have an increase in effort from the first two. 

for reals, xc is such a good sport.  the amount of discipline and work ethic you develop is amazing, and it's far more pure than other sports: you can't blame a poor performance on someone else throwing a ball poorly, etc. not to mention the whole being in shape/being ripped thing.  the smart girls go for distance runners...endurance, baby :)

Offline OmahaBeef

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2007, 09:31:02 AM »
omahabeef,
while i agree with almost everything you've said, i think that you can still have a hardcore sprint at the end of the race even after pushing it hard for the whole race.  This is because a full-on anaerobic sprint uses different muscle fibers/groups than you've been using.  it just hurts super bad because you go into oxygen debt very very quickly.  but if you've got it mentally, you should be able to run all-out on the last 200m, after accelerating consistently from 400-600m out.  we're also taught that the last mile should have an increase in effort from the first two.

Ya, I definitely know you you're saying. I think its just a differing definition of what a sprint is.

for reals, xc is such a good sport.  the amount of discipline and work ethic you develop is amazing, and it's far more pure than other sports: you can't blame a poor performance on someone else throwing a ball poorly, etc. not to mention the whole being in shape/being ripped thing.  the smart girls go for distance runners...endurance, baby :)

1.) I think because parkour teaches you great discipline, I think it makes for a great background to get into parkour from. It makes you very well conditioned, and you know how to work hard to discipline yourself.

2.) In response to your last comment, I saw a cross country shirt once that said "chicks love guys with endurance."  ;D

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 04:19:28 PM »
Is it for everyone or just I have problems running in the morning? My breath dies after first 500 meters in the morning and I have to really push it.
But in the afternoon (2-3pm or later) I can go and go.
- The Prefontaine