Author Topic: 50 years old and new to the forum  (Read 7121 times)

Offline saltgrassbear

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
50 years old and new to the forum
« on: August 30, 2007, 03:28:47 PM »
Thanks to my son, I have discovered this great art.  What I would like to know is, would there be a chance for an overweight grandpa to get involved in this training?  I would imagine the closest area to me that might practice is Houston, Texas.

Wish I would have discovered this 30 years ago.
SGB

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
Re: 50 years old and new to the forum
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 03:47:22 PM »
You can train basically anywhere, so long as there is an obstacle or two to practice on. First thing though is to work on physical fitness, so you can prepare you body for the task of learning some of the basic vaults. If you aren't already doing it, I would recommend you start out with stretching, light jogging, some pushup and pullups, and maybe some sit-ups. Once you're comfortable with those and do them regularly, you can start working on those basic moves. There are alot of tutorials and information here on physical fitness, diet, and parkour basics. It's helpful to be aware of that information, so you can start utilizing it. Take it slow and easy, and get your body gradually used to the extra physical exertion. If you progress in increments over a period of time, it's better for you body in the long run. Training properly in parkour will benefit your health for many years to come of done correctly. I highly recommend it, so make yourself at home here in our forum. If you post messages, you will get feedback, which is oftentimes very helpful. There are a number of people present among the members of this forum who are quite well experienced and knowledgeable, so don't be shy to ask questions. So with that, I welcome you aboard!

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »
Welcome!

Be sure to check out the Texas thread to find traceurs in your area. Muhammad's advice is spot on. Slow and steady progression will win the race. I see no reason why anyone couldn't take up parkour. It's all about personal progress, and about having fun.

Glad to have you with us.  ;D
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Blubbernaught

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 08:31:11 AM »
Howdy! 

You've got a few years on me, but that's neither here nor there.

My take on it: Parkour=Movement.   M&M (Muhammad and Muse) have already given you the basics, so I won't reiterate all that again.   I'm pretty much sticking with light conditioning at the moment, a little practice with precisions and rolls.   

For me, I'm taking the solo route on my training since I don't think there are many active folks in my area of E TN, plus I'm so far out of shape that I'd feel bad dragging someone else down to my speed.   I might look into finding a partner later, but for now I just need to get to where I can run more than a block at a time and can do more than a handfull of pushups.

If you can walk, you can Parkour (In my opinion).   When you boil down to the basic fundamentals of Parkour it seems to be about simply getting from point A to point B in the most direct, efficient way possible.   You may be older and overweight, but you also have a lifetime of experience to draw upon in evaluating the world around you and your capabilities in relation to it. 

Offline gal_nar88

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 08:18:09 PM »
i think its crazy how im 20 and i wish that i started this 5 years ago .... and some of you wish u started this years before i was born....... (no pun intended of course ) u guys are inspiring , juss remember "you gotta start somewhere"

Offline potential

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 08:20:30 PM »
yo i need some jamz

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »
Hey man definitely glad to hear you are interested in this thing. The people above have given some good input indeed. If you are looking for people to train around your area I suggest you check the Texasparkour.com boards for more information about whats going on in the state.

I live in San Antonio myself but I do like to travel so I may see you in Houston some time if you can make it out!

"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 06:19:26 PM »
Congrats! Welcome to the forums.

The hardest lesson for me is finding how vulnerable my body is. It's definitely a lot weaker than stone and concrete.

Start off gentle. It's better to make steady progress than to push it, have an accident, and get injured.

The better condition you can get into before you start the vaults, the better off you'll be.

If you're looking for a workout, you could start with http://www.crossfitkids.com/ Don't let it fool you - some of these workouts are really rough. Another option is the 'scaled' workouts at http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index.php/forums/viewforum/16/

Hope that helps!

Offline BelatuCadros

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 11:08:36 AM »
Every once in a while I get my 45'ish dad to try something. It's hit or miss, but if he lost weight he would be able to do everything I can.

I don't think age is a factor as much as weight is. Get to running and find some obstacles to overcome. Plus, be sure you have a healthy heart. Overweight over-the-hill men have a tendency to grab their chest and die after strenuous activity.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 11:10:45 AM by BelatuCadros »

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:40:16 AM »
Every once in a while I get my 45'ish dad to try something. It's hit or miss, but if he lost weight he would be able to do everything I can.

I don't think age is a factor as much as weight is. Get to running and find some obstacles to overcome. Plus, be sure you have a healthy heart. Overweight over-the-hill men have a tendency to grab their chest and die after strenuous activity.

You didn't just call us over the hill, did you?

Offline dwellens

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 03:38:46 PM »
Being the "elder statesman" (at 56 years YOUNG) of this forum, my buds and I refer to ourselves as "advanced" adults.  To quote the famous Satchel Page:  "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"
Be careful & have fun.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 04:53:09 AM »
Saltgrass,

My father-in-law is 60 years old (24 years my senior), and he can kick my butt. He can run 8 miles at noon on a hot florida summer day.

The great thing is that you will always improve agility, strength, endurance, etc. Just be mindful of taking it slow. My that I mean gradually ease into it.

I personally didn't take this advice and as a result, in one year got a knee injury, 3 cuff rotator tears, one hip injury and one back injury. You have to give your body a chance to adapt, which becomes even more true as you grow older.

Good luck, and happy training!
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 08:14:25 PM »
I am a Houstonite, so I could be of some help. We usually hold Saturday training sessions from 11 to at least 2. Your most likely going to have to check out www.texasparkour.com to get any specific info on Houston jams. It would be the coolest thing ever to get you out there one day!

Just personal message me if you have to.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Lion143

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 02:32:47 AM »

You didn't just call us over the hill, did you?

Oh no you di'int...
 >:(