Author Topic: It ocurred to me  (Read 3232 times)

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
It ocurred to me
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
I was thinking why Parkour is dominated by the teen to mid twenties age range, and I thought of something that seems quite logical:

- They are more likely to discover something new which has still to make it to the mainstream
- They are more likely to pick it up and incorporate it into their lives

As you grow, I would think a more structured lifestyle would cause other areas of interest to seem more viable. If you want to get in shame, maybe aerobics, cycling, yoga, or a gym seem more feasible and dependable. Not to mention the fact that I doubt anyone our age would go: "Got to get rid of those love handles. I'm starting Parkour this monday!"

Could it be we are more programmed to consider a delimited set of options for fitness, fun and self improvement?

Even my cousin, who is a couple of years my senior, has taken on Karate. A couple of friends of mine have taken on mountain biking. And the way most of them react to the fact that I have taken Parkour on is "This guy is really off his rocker"... Because...???

I have opted to tell them I do an extreme form of CrossFit. Funny thing is, when they think of it as a training regimen, and exclude the art, agility and freedom aspects, their reaction is completely different. Then they don't think of it as something I should be doing if I weren't over 30
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline swamphorse

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: It ocurred to me
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
This is a great thought.
Also, I think as we age the idea of something with such loose structure as parkour or free running seems too odd to be taken seriously. Or, if our first introduction to either is some extreme video, some of us may think it is not for us.
I think in general it is very difficult for people to exercise in an unstructured environment.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 07:53:52 AM »
This is a great thought.
Also, I think as we age the idea of something with such loose structure as parkour or free running seems too odd to be taken seriously. Or, if our first introduction to either is some extreme video, some of us may think it is not for us.
I think in general it is very difficult for people to exercise in an unstructured environment.

Interestingly enough, when seeing some extreme video, some OTHERS might decide it is not for us as well
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Grape Ape

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 11:41:40 AM »
Youth always embraces the non-conformist attitudes of things,ie mohawk hairstyles, piercings and such. But your quite right structure is slowly beaten into you as time marches on; college structure and then work structure. Me personally I've always been a free-spirit and have always enjoyed doing activities that weren't mainstream. Most sports there are winners and losers; this sport is about individual abilities and pushing one self past limitations. The one aspect of this sport that amazes me is everyone who is involved has the mind-set of train first then practice which in most sports is not done.

Also thinking from a money perspective how much does this sport cost? No gym dues no pricey or trendy outfits the world is your gym. Right before skateboarding took off there was one trick that changed everything, the Ollie, now certain obstacles were attainable.

Here is an interesting question, would you want to see this sport go mainstream? Me personally,No, but the companies and people who support it now will be the companies and people I support in the future!

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 05:08:03 PM »
Parkour is, essentially, play. I mean, a lot of the training I do is at playgrounds. A lot of the stuff we do is playground games: hot lava, PDQ, tag, etc. And even if it's not a structured thing like that, climbing around on our environment is really just play. And as we age, sadly, we are discouraged from playing. So to take up karate or even skydiving, as an "over 30" is considered 'cool' and 'staying young' by our peers. However an activity that looks, acts, and "thinks" like playing, no way.

I know what you mean about the looks. I have some close friends my age, early to mid-30s, who are very "young at heart." In other words, while most of our peers are getting the suburban Legoland house and the beige job, these friends of mine are still dying their hair, getting tattoos and piercings, and playing D&D. They also have steady careers, a mortgage, and a 401k, but they are not letting these things define them and they are doing a lot to "stay young" (for lack of a better way to put it). I thought of all my friends, these people would be the most understanding of my taking up parkour, and would even be down with trying it with me. But no way. They just sort of laugh it off, like, "Oh, sure, Muse. We'll see how long that lasts." I showed them B13 and was going berserk the whole time, and they just didn't get it: "It was an okay action movie, I guess."

'Okay action movie'?!?! It's David Farking Belle! He just did the most magnificent, exquisite speed vault you will ever see in your lifetime, and that's all you can say? Doesn't this movie make you want to go out and TRY that stuff?

They just rolled their eyes. ;)

>le sigh<

Honestly, though, I think it's because society makes less room for unstructured play in our lives as we get older (and sadly that "bottom age" for unstructured time is getting younger and younger), so not only is it frowned upon and seen as less "adult," but people actually don't know how to deal with unstructured time anymore. It makes people edgy and uncertain.

An interesting anthropological point, Cpt. :)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com