Author Topic: The X-Games  (Read 7063 times)

Offline milffhater

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: The X-Games
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2007, 07:55:33 AM »
I think freerunning can be judged better than parkour. Freerunning is more of a freestyle event.  However I still could see parkour in the X gamres. Instead of measuring effecincy they could measure speed. Just a sick obstical course, 10 ft walls, confined rails, almost any obstical. The fasted time wins. I think the most efficent way should also be the fastest.

Offline Kasper

• Guenons
  • "I'd Hit That!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2007, 12:37:41 PM »
thats a very good point, but what about all the other X-games compititions? those are all freestyles, and freerunning would much more easily fit in.
(insert witty comment)

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 03:46:35 PM »
thats a very good point, but what about all the other X-games compititions? those are all freestyles, and freerunning would much more easily fit in.

No thats not actually true.  There is rally car racing in the xgames, motocross (racing on dirt bikes) and probably a few others i can't think of.

Offline fr33runner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 03:59:47 PM »
Yeah freerunning would fit in alot better than parkour would...Its hard to think of a parkour competition though but im sure it could be possible.
-Fr33Runner

Offline Digital Kid

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 07:40:05 PM »
Parkour is natural in a sense but at the same time it is also unnatural. Naturally are we going to walk around an object or kong vault over it? Most would just walk around it but at the same time we have the natural ability to kong vault it too.

Still I don't believe any part of Parkour SHOULD be in the X-Games but we cant stop the big corporate wheel from turning too...

Our ancestors would have not created unnatural brick or concrete paths with obstacles to kong over.  If something was in their way they would have made their way over, under, or through it as efficiently as possible to catch or escape.  Today, we live in an unnatural, manufactured world.  We choose the easiest paths, laid out before us, to herd us in preplanned directions like cattle.  That, coupled with our f'd up diets, is why we are a disease ridden, obese society.  Everything about our modern society is unnatural.  So to say parkour is unnatural because "most would just walk around" an object is like saying eating fast food is more natural because most people do that as opposed to cooking your own food.

Tony
Fight or Flight

Offline Zuxzux

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 09:16:28 PM »
Man kind also naturally is always thinking of knew and easier ways to do things which is why the invention of stairs and elevators is a natural progression of our society. I do agree with you on the part about the diets of most people inhabiting this earth. That is a different situation that a structure we would use for parkour. A brick wall serves a purpose most of the time, it was put there because humans are smart enough do think of it. So as I see it the structures all around us are a natural progression of human beings.

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 10:00:08 PM »
that dosnt change the fact that human's have bodies that are built to run, jump, vault, swim, climb.
Just because we have an elevator dosnt make climbing unnatural.

Offline kage

• Patas
  • "free your mind"
    • View Profile
    • Kage's Myspace
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 10:17:14 PM »
back to the topic ha... I would think that freerunning would fit much easier with the style of x-games than parkour. Parkour would almost have to be timed, and no matter what u say fastest isn't always most efficient(a normal person could sloppily get over an obstacle and it could be faster than a traceur practicing parkour). Freerunners could basically use a skatepark and create their own path to perform their movements, whereas a traceur would need a large course with a preset path(kind of against parkour philosophy eh?). All considered I could see free running being a part of x-games some day, but never parkour. Besides, think of the spectators that know nothing of either discipline(which is probably at least 90% of the world pop.) which are they gonna think is more interesting to watch... crazy flips and spins, or vaults? (not saying one is better than the other, but free running is a lot flashier)
Boy : Do not try and bend the spoon...that's impossible...Instead,only try to realize the truth...
Neo : What truth?
Boy : There is no spoon.
Neo : There is no spoon?
Boy : Then you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Algie

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 10:27:11 PM »
i think if freerunning were to be in the x-games, it would just come off as a watered down version of gymnastics to the people watching. . . and then everyone would think its lame. :P

What differentiates freerunning from gymnastics though, is the creative expression. Freerunning is about turning an urban landscape into your canvas. Gymnastics is about doing a double back handspring and being able to "stick it."

Offline kage

• Patas
  • "free your mind"
    • View Profile
    • Kage's Myspace
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 10:45:52 PM »
it definately wouldnt be a watered down version of gymnastics, it would be a spiced up version... there's no mats or pads anywhere. AND the competitors wouldn't have to wear spandex. if anything i think people would start to see gymnastics as a watered down version of parkour.
Boy : Do not try and bend the spoon...that's impossible...Instead,only try to realize the truth...
Neo : What truth?
Boy : There is no spoon.
Neo : There is no spoon?
Boy : Then you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 05:37:00 AM »
A lot of psychics and fortune tellers in here....

If it WERE to be a competition, what goes to say the x-games will pick it up, and what goes to say how the competition would be handled? It hasnt happened, so why the huge argument?

Parkour is, in fact, as natural as our bodies can allow. Parkour is why we are structured the way we are. Tony hit the nail on the head a few posts up.

I dont really have time to address the rest of the points made here, but I really shouldnt have to. Its an unreal topic with (now) unreal arguments. Just let it go until something lets you all believe that parkour is going to be in the x-games :)

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2007, 06:24:30 PM »
I hate you Skipper. Just kidding.

I was working on my arguing skills.
Okay not really.

But now that you said that.
You've got a major point.

It hasn't happened, so we can argue about it if/when it does happen.
Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.