Author Topic: I feel embarrassed practicing in public...  (Read 101226 times)

Offline SteeleBird

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: I feel embarrassed practicing in public...
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2010, 12:33:38 AM »
Ya well I am only 14 and just starting out, it seems like that is a big group of really good guys.
Dude im 14 and I just started, I live in Kauai and nobody here even know what it is!!! Im not good!!! But everybody starts out, everybody is a noob at the beggining and needs training. dont be ashamed of being a begginner! Do what you love to do

Offline Joeson Wong

• Patas
  • "Kuza"
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2010, 12:43:10 PM »
What I typically do is try to train with earphones in and ignore everyone else :)

Offline MCRunners

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 02, 2010, 07:14:17 AM »
I felt the same way but once you have a group then most people will watch you and say nice things

Offline theCammerJammer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 02, 2010, 02:38:44 PM »
You know what!
You shouldn't feel that embarrassed! Sure at first your new and you can't do much and it just looks like your a fool.
But think about this! Every professional started somewhere and look at the best free runners! They make people awe
themselves all because they are so good.
My point is just keep practicing and ignore all the fools out there and just keep in mind that there is no other way to get better!
Even for parkour gyms.

Sincerely
theCammerJammer

Offline Streek

• Patas
  • Hm... What should I put here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2010, 04:56:47 PM »
a couple times wen i trained in the more urban parts of hawaii with some frends ppl gave us weird looks but hell we didnt care. we were having fun nd didnt care wat they thot of us. but also, wen i was training at a park near my house this mail man wlked up 2 me nd said hes seen parkour nd free running on youtube nd that its rly impressive nd gr8 2 c ppl practice it nd also how its so rare 2 c any1 on the island do it. that made my day lol
long story short, dnt mind dirty looks ppl give u wen u train... they dnt c parkour from our POV  nd dnt understand the reason we do it nd wat it is. jst rmbr 2 have fun nd ignore wat other ppl think of u
Gun goes pew pew.
Sword goes cut cut.
Traceur no make noise because they ninja. :3

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »
Some one please translate that above post lol[Jk sean]

If it can possibly make you more comfortable try this

"I'm self-conscious about training alone in public! Help!"
It's okay, I also feel this way sometimes. It's a normal emotion that can be dealt with, try the following:

Warm up. Typically you'll only feel embarrassed while struggling or failing with a trick. You are doing neither while warming up. You might be worried that other people are watching and laughing at you. However, while you warm up people will look at you and think "Oh, he's getting ready to exercise." Once you have warmed up, that feeling of self-consciousness will magically be reduced.

Find an empty park or field. These are my favorite places to train. You won't feel self-conscious at all and you can focus on the task at hand. If you have a big backyard, that's perfect![irrelevant for a traceur]

Pick a favorite place. The more regularly you train at a certain place or set of places, the more at home you will feel. I've visited some fields *hotspots* so regularly during my summers that I began to feel as comfortable as I do in my own bedroom.

Make yourself look cool. If you think you look awesome, then no matter how shitty your tricking*parkour* is you won't feel as self conscious.

Set up camp. You can create comfort by surrounding yourself with useful things. Like a portable stereo, a tripod with camera, a cooler, a picnic blanket, a car, etc. It's like psychologically marking your territory.

Adopt confident body language. You can create confidence simply by using confident body language. Keep your chin up, stand tall, look people in the eyes, don't be afraid to flash strangers a warm smile, wave to people, slow down your movements ever so slightly, etc.

Stick with it. The better you are, the more you'll want to show off instead of waiting for people to pass

This was taken directly from a article Jujimufu[all hail the god of tricking] wrote for TT. Some of it can apply...to us traceurs
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:20:58 PM by Sala »
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?

Nooblet177

« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »
I know exactly how you feel. My first to days of training consisted of me being asked how old I was. I was doing balance training at a park. My advice would be to find a buddy and don't let people get to you. ;D

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 11, 2010, 09:09:10 PM »
i personally love it when i get weird looks :P
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Ethan Nicholson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2010, 05:26:51 AM »
Just stares? You get off easy. People drive past me while I'm training shouting "Nice jumping, faggot!", "Get a life, dumbass!", or much more memorable quotes that I'm not so sure I'd be allowed to post.  :P

Offline hfksla

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2010, 12:31:42 PM »
Just stares? You get off easy. People drive past me while I'm training shouting "Nice jumping, f*gt!", "Get a life, dumbass!", or much more memorable quotes that I'm not so sure I'd be allowed to post.  :P
what they really mean is... dam, i'm too fat to do anything challenging
Shut up and Train
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you anywhere
The moment you stop fighting is the moment you lose.~Dan Kelley
Repeat after me, I am free.

Offline Raijin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 11, 2010, 12:13:57 AM »
I'm really new to this whole thing, although the "spirit" of parkour, as it turns out, is something I already know about.  Anyways, it seems like it's best to have some friends with you if at all possible.  That's what I have to do to start out.  My friends practice Judo, so I'll just make them go somewhere so I can try to practice parkour too!

Offline Jasonpv

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook - Best way to contact me, I get SMS notifications.
« Reply #311 on: October 12, 2010, 02:26:52 AM »
Raijin, I can relate to how you feel. Some people can be pretty messed up and it causes for a pretty big lack of motivation, as others have mentioned I too have had people drive and yell pretty de-motivating phrases to say the least haha. There was one occasion where I was shot multiple times with a paintball gun during an afternoon jog.

One thing you could try if it hasn’t already been mentioned is to get up just before sunrise and begin your training. Though regardless, once you start to build strength and make progress in your training you will start to build confidence and others actions suddenly don’t have as much of an effect on you as they did in the beginning. Having a friend or 2 out with you wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

Good luck!  :)

Offline derman36

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 29, 2010, 03:42:55 PM »
i had/have that problem and you really just ignore them, skrew it if they think its stupid and lame, there problem not yours. btw i live in san rafael and im 14 also maybe we can meet up and train sometime :D

Offline 3DUN0Right3

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 30, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »
I don't have a problem with doing parkour in public but when i do feel out of place is when I'm doing parkour through a park playground and moms are looking at me like I'm an axe murder..anybody else get these looks?
"Go until you blow and if you blow oh now"....Jamie Pierre

Offline loneB

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 31, 2010, 07:09:35 PM »
I found solo training to be tough at first, but if you build up on your self confidence you can surprise yourself and the people around you. Just make sure your not being an annoyance to people around you, give people space. Finding regular spots where people will get used to you is not a bad idea either. I would recommend you do basic training at home, once you are completely sure you can do the "tricks" then you can practice in a public urban setting and amaze all the people walking by :P .

Offline Seth

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:18 PM »
I used to be really self conscious, too.  Like, really badly.  I didn't even like having my picture made in a public place.  However, I now think about it this way.  First, how many people that see you will you actually see again?  Second, of those that you do end up seeing again, how many will really recognize you?  Third, most people around really won't even remember five minutes unless you're doing some pretty amazing sh*t, and then they'll brag about seeing you.

Offline precisionrunner

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 02, 2010, 07:41:58 PM »
I just think of their weird looks as saying this man is acting like a monkey... But if I tried what he was doing I would probably die. The only thing I hate is when I do something I think is really cool and nobody even cares to look or comment. Honestly you just try and ignore them.  [WTF]
Train Hard, Stay Humble.

Offline WDC11

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 05, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »
If you don't like how bad you are and training in public, then train in a gym or somewhere closer to where you live. Like a backyard or something.

Offline JAB3

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Ghillie Suit FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 05, 2010, 01:45:33 PM »
I just started myself :D. I train at Bowdoin Collage I have a good time I sometimes get people who ask what I'm doing I tell them what I'm doing and give a quick demo... but then there are bad people who can't except something that is diffrent... Ive heard things like "Hey look it's a faggot ninja", "Monkey B!%#" and so on then there are nice things like on time this Older lady asked me what I was doing so I explained parkour and she said "It looks so graceful", the point of this is that all they do is use mean or harsh words or they can except us for what we do and who we are.

So in the end they can say what they want and they can do what they want but in the end we still are traceurs and we have fun with what we do and thats all that counts.

PS: I hope this made sense to anyone.

Offline pancakerz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 12, 2011, 08:14:44 PM »
man i wish i had a place to train
i live in a small-ass town (220 people in my high school) where everybody knows mostly everybody, by face if not by name.
so i would probably be known as "that weird guy jumping around town" but since i'm only starting this spring, it'd be more like "that weird guy wiping out around town."
but i'm graduating in the summer, so hopefully i can move to the city soon.