Author Topic: I feel embarrassed practicing in public...  (Read 98440 times)

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
Re: I feel embarrassed practicing in public...
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »
If you quit because other people saw you fail, you're a failure.  If you press on, you will succeed.

Public humiliation is really not as bad as you may think, anyways.  You'll find your fear of embarrassment is much worse than the actual embarrassment.  Don't let it get under your skin.
Queen of Puns

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 06:35:37 PM »
bailing in front of people is good for you. it makes you humble, which is an excellent quality to possess.

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 07:00:36 PM »
Dude, it's hard being a leader sometimes. Don't be afraid to stand out. Just be indie man! Why the hell care about what others think of you? I had a friend that was so frustrating to train with because he was scared to try new things. He was scared to move outside his comfort zone, and would always stop moving when people would walk by. He then quit Parkour because he was frustrated with it. If you want to progress in Parkour, focus on yourself not others around you. You can't worry about looking stupid for trying something new. That's the art of creativity. Imagine how David Belle looked when he first started. It takes drive and diligence. Now get your ass out there and start training!!!  >:(

Sorry for the rant. I was going for the Miracle motivation.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Haku

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 07:11:57 PM »
Although this has been said...

You probably aren't going to see most of the people ever again. Sometimes, people have outcasted opinions because they don't know what Parkour is...

It seems like this problem has been solved...so keep goin!

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2008, 02:15:33 AM »
if people make fun of you and say they can do that better than you, they probably dont know what parkour is. just ask them politely to show you in front of you so you may learn better. most will probably walk away. :P
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline wizardsdc0778

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2008, 04:22:00 AM »
yea
if they are laughin then they cant even do parkour
so i would just bust out some awesome move and walk awsay

shadow1234

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2008, 10:42:14 AM »
here's something you can do to ease your way into it. When somebody walks by, do something parkour related. Observe their reaction. They may not even notice you. Keep doing this, eventually you will be able to practice all the time without worrying about what other people think. At least, it worked for me. good luck!

Offline Chance B.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
Of coarse I am sort of new at posting on this forum but my experience with it so far is that most everybody here is nice and supportive. So far I am loving this forum, you guys have helped me alot. I have had similar problems as some of the people posting but your tips seem great...never give up and give it your all!

The only thing I don't like about parkour getting big is that the "wrong" sort of people will be getting in...if that makes sense. From my understanding most of the traceurs seem to be supportive, understanding people. They encorage the right things. They are not going around down grading other people that want to be a traceur because they don't "look the part" or some other stupid conception of the thing. I don't want Parkour to be changed into something it is not: a competative sport (I mean a bad competative sport...not the friendly kind). I am sorry if I am ranting this is just a fear I have had. I want a good community of informed people who practice parkour. Even if it, by some strange chance, becomes what I have been saying I am glad to know there are still people, like in this forum, out there that will help support eachother....

.....wow. It does sound like I am just rambling. I hope this community stays good (I am sure it will). Time to go outside and practice.  PS: I moved to Hernando, MS. I live alittle south of it now.
Run free or die a captive.

OldDog

I like Bike-Skates

Offline wizardsdc0778

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2008, 05:03:27 AM »
*applauds Spblob*
very well said

Offline Crosion_5

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Ultimatetraceur.com
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »
Oh yes I agree.  Part of Parkour is helping eachother to become better.  I have some of the same fears for Parkour.  Already I see stupid videos and people that do parkour just for the glory or to get people to think they are cool.  They are not traceurs in any sense of the word.  Parkour is about learing about your body, and perfecting it, not about getting glory.  It's about overcoming your weaknesses and making them strengths, both physical and otherwise.

Offline Drake?

• Patas
  • I like to smile
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace ( one for parkour friends )
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2008, 12:09:14 PM »
I find 10x's easier to train with friends in public. If you have 3, 4, even 5 people with you training, it helps a lot. At least it does for me! I recommend that everyone should give it a try.
My name is Drake, and I have been training parkour/free running since December of 2006.

Offline Dante177

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2008, 10:05:39 PM »
I'm at the point where I see most objects as training obstacles. I don't get to train a lot, but I am hyped up to do it all the time.

Do it with a friend. Or at least have him/her watch you and talk about something to keep your mind off it.
I also do it at night but in parks. Well lit ones considering I live in NYC. I even jump over desks (from place) in school when I can. Though trying to jump over the higher once I busted my face on a locker. Though 2 out of 3 jumps I made it. And it didn't even hurt.

Its easier for me to look like an idiot in class than it is in public. Luckily I have weight training Mon-Thurs. But I'm sick right now and its killing me to miss it.

Now I'm just talking about myself. xD

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 06:22:29 AM »
Of coarse I am sort of new at posting on this forum but my experience with it so far is that most everybody here is nice and supportive. So far I am loving this forum, you guys have helped me alot. I have had similar problems as some of the people posting but your tips seem great...never give up and give it your all!

The only thing I don't like about parkour getting big is that the "wrong" sort of people will be getting in...if that makes sense. From my understanding most of the traceurs seem to be supportive, understanding people. They encorage the right things. They are not going around down grading other people that want to be a traceur because they don't "look the part" or some other stupid conception of the thing. I don't want Parkour to be changed into something it is not: a competative sport (I mean a bad competative sport...not the friendly kind). I am sorry if I am ranting this is just a fear I have had. I want a good community of informed people who practice parkour. Even if it, by some strange chance, becomes what I have been saying I am glad to know there are still people, like in this forum, out there that will help support eachother....

.....wow. It does sound like I am just rambling. I hope this community stays good (I am sure it will). Time to go outside and practice.  PS: I moved to Hernando, MS. I live alittle south of it now.

I like how you mentioned you didn't want it to be a bad competitive sport.
Sometimes friendly competition can drive us to work a little harder, but if it gets too vicious, you'll end up pushing yourself way too hard. Good point. =]

Offline Harbisonparkour

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 05:09:28 PM »
YAh, I know what you meen about training in public, but you just got to push past it. I was at school during OP, kinda like an extra period if you want help, and I speed vaulted off a rail by the trailors and then kept running, I herd the guy behind behind me say to his friend "Man look at that  freeking monkey his such an idiot, I just want to see him fall on his face." So I ran to the next rail, did a reverse vault and spun back over the rail, I looked at him and told him that wasnt going to happen and then lazyed over the rail agian and konged over a garbage can and kept running.

Offline ZeroAlphaEnigma

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »
i agree with some of you people on when people laugh at you, or give you looks like "what the hell is he doing"
as for me in school, only one who practices it, only one who gets it,but when i explain it to them they will laugh then they will ask me to show them something.
ill do a simple monkey, or lazy boy, and they will just laugh at me more then say "psh i can do that watch"

then ill be laughing for the next 5 mins at them falling on their ass. they get the message after that...
Traceur In Training

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 06:56:44 AM »
Yeahhhhhh hahahahahaha. The things we do seem semi-easy and anyone could do it. A lot of the time we make it look 10248912048 times easier than it really is. And, even if the person does end up doing it, you can tell they're awkward and uncontrolled about it, unlike us. =D

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
they be uber noobs and we are freerunning pirates! aarggh! :-Sarcasm
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Harbisonparkour

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »
Yah, I got it down now so I can speed over a rail, land on the siding percison across and then monkey to the other side. I was with my sisters friend and shee relised how hard it was when she couldent even get over the hand rail

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 06:38:21 PM »
The best way to spread parkour in a supportive, friendly, respectful way is to do it yourself. Apply it to all facets of your life. Learn to be courteous and respectful, try to avoid discrimination and be helpful to others, etc etc. Train hard and lead by example. Thats the best way to ensure the community stays the way it is, the way we like it  :)
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline JMac32

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2008, 07:35:40 PM »
  its a free country.
agreed. but yet, people have property and such things like that.