Author Topic: I feel embarrassed practicing in public...  (Read 99100 times)

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: I feel embarrassed practicing in public...
« Reply #280 on: February 06, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »
more like a school on the weekend or something more to that effect. What you said pretty much nullifys that idea anyways

Okay yea, schools are even more picky. I'd stay away from them during school hours and also at night. They get nervous if people hang around at night [trust me :P].
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline sparta98

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • This is madness! Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 06, 2010, 06:18:33 PM »
Okay yea, schools are even more picky. I'd stay away from them during school hours and also at night. They get nervous if people hang around at night [trust me :P].

Everybody knows I am borderline insane anyways  :P yeah ill stay away from it until i figure out how to ask if I can train on the roof... (Haha that would throw the secretary through a loop  ::) )
Some say the world will end in fire,
others in ice,
judging what i have seen of desire,
I side with those who favor fire.
But should I have to perish twice,
The power of ice is also great... and would suffice.

Offline Huntero10

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • PARKOURS AMAZING!
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #282 on: February 06, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
no worries.
"Together, but apart, one rises while the other falls, both needed to live."

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #283 on: February 06, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »
And I would be very careful when climbing schools. Be careful to do it where there are no security cameras, mask your face and everything, and make sure you have a few drop points (to jump off) and a preplanned escape route if things turn ugly (like, someone calls the cops).

Masking probably isn't a good idea...

You're more likely to get into deeper trouble if you do something like that. Wearing a mask shows that it was preplanned and not just a spontaneous adventure, which will lead to much more trouble for you. Also, people are scared of masks and scaring people is probably not what you should do if you want to come out of this with as few repercussions as possible.

And, we can't have open discussion of breaking the law on APK. Running away from law enforcement officers is illegal. DO NOT RUN AWAY FROM THE POLICE. You should not be doing anything that would prompt someone to call the police.

One of the principle ideals of parkour is respect for your community. We show this through things like the Leave No Trace initiative and also by NOT breaking the law. If you commit a crime while "training," it defames parkour. Bottom line - Don't screw us all over by making a stupid mistake.

Need more explanation? Let me know. :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 08:59:45 PM by Andy Keller »
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline sparta98

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 07, 2010, 05:08:41 AM »
Sparta: Well, it's only part of my greater family tree that has the name "Kornish." My great-grandfather, the guy who changed it, had like 3 siblings and a helluva lot of their descendants live in PA. My grandparents (on my dad's side, which we're discussing) live in Carlisle, PA. So, if he's on the east coast, it's entirely possible come to think of it :P

How old is he, and what does he look like? We have a group photo from a family reunion a few years back.

And I would be very careful when climbing schools. Be careful to do it where there are no security cameras, mask your face and everything, and make sure you have a few drop points (to jump off) and a preplanned escape route if things turn ugly (like, someone calls the cops).

He is 14. Real dark hair, skinny, and he played football. He moved to another part of the state early last year. usually smiling if that helps...

and thanks andy i dont plan on breaking the law at all i just love the feeling of being where few people have gone before   :D
others in ice,

Offline Scared Doggy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Connor Hagerty
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 07, 2010, 11:05:14 AM »
Where do people get off thinking they're going to get good practicing parkour on roofs? Hell, nearly all of the kickass things I've seen people do in vids have been on ground level. Besides there's hardly shit to practice with on roofs anyways. Its mostly just flat with a couple of air conditioner? things.
Minnesota Parkour
YouTubeAccount

Offline GoldenSlumbers

• Patas
  • The Real Geoff Pieper
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 07, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
Where do people get off thinking they're going to get good practicing parkour on roofs? Hell, nearly all of the kickass things I've seen people do in vids have been on ground level. Besides there's hardly shit to practice with on roofs anyways. Its mostly just flat with a couple of air conditioner? things.
The challenge is in getting on top of the roof itself most of the time.  Obviously this is inherently dangerous,  just remember getting down is usually just as difficult, if not more so, than getting up.
“Using no way as way, Having no limitation as limitation.” - Bruce Lee
"The more I see the less I know for sure." - John Lennon

Offline sparta98

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 07, 2010, 03:24:27 PM »
I think you misunderstood what I meant about the roof thing. I would be too chicken to get onto anything higher than ten feet tall without a ladder. The school i mentioned is very low to the ground, only about 9 feet, which I can easily get off of.(without jumping that is)
others in ice,

Offline sparta98

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 08, 2010, 02:16:10 AM »
You know, now that I think about it Dan is the type of guy to jump around on railings  :-Sarcasm
others in ice,

Offline Will Ahlberg

• Mangabey
  • If you pursue, your body will deliver.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 01, 2010, 09:03:21 AM »
ya i train with friends (which is safer anyway) usually and if there is more than one of us, it looks a bit less awekward (sp?) lol. if im alone i usually just do strength training
[img width= height=]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3039/unigorillaface01copy1.jpg[/img]     6'5"  210 lbs

Offline Impulse1990

• Patas
  • Limits are meant to be passed
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #290 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:24 AM »
haha, i know what you mean, allthough now that ive gotten good at the flips everyone asks to take videos so its no longer awkward.

Offline celbii

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 09, 2010, 11:25:28 PM »
There's no such thing as a "public" building. You can't just go and do whatever in [or on] a courthouse, a library, the Capitol building, or even a "public" park. The term public is used when a building or property is owned by the government, or, in turn, the people [ ;) ]. Any building you come upon, private or public, has rules that you must follow or they can kick you off. You don't have a "right" to be in those buildings or on those properties if you don't follow the rules.
This. I went out tonight(around 12:30) to the park right across the street from my house (so like a 30 second walk lol) and there was a cop down the street and he saw me but i kept walking to the park and got to the middle of it where the equipment is and the cop drove around the park and got to the area where you park your car and i was just warming up on the equipment and obviously aware that he was there parked because i went there. Then all the sudden he turned on his spot light right at me(And i waved to him lol) and turned on his loud speaker and told me that the park is closed and to leave. So i said okay and left, but went back after about 15 minutes because when he was driving around i dropped my expandable baton when he couldnt see me(Don't like going out at night unarmed) so I went back to retrieve it and went back home, waited another 15 minutes and went back to the park so i could work on conditioning my hands (cold metal burnnssss lol) then soon as i left and got back to my door i saw him speeding down the streets again.

Now some would say I shouldn't have gone back after leaving and I agree, but the park is literally a 30 second walk from my house and i left my gear there so I needed to retrieve it.

Offline Glacieus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Life's a joke; laugh often.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 11, 2010, 09:32:59 AM »
Of course, you've got to respect the law. Usually the cops don't appreciate people running up walls, leaping over fences (that are obviously put up to keep people out), or leaping from roof to roof. Usually because its disruptive or out of the ordinary or suspicious. After all it is their job to keep order.
There will come a time where you meet someone that has no idea what they're doing. It is your responsibility to show this person the way.

Offline FireFistAce

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 09, 2010, 12:51:21 AM »
cops only want to keep traceurs from practicing, because if we train a lot they're afraid that they can't catch us when we commit a crime

Offline Todd1

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Darkburg (Harrisburg Parkour)
« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2010, 05:12:23 AM »
cops only want to keep traceurs from practicing, because if we train a lot they're afraid that they can't catch us when we commit a crime
Yeah, that's it.  It's some conspiracy to stop traceurs from becoming master criminals.  Because that's why we all do Parkour, so we can get away from the authorities. :-Sarcasm

Maybe I'm crazy, but maybe it's because most if not all public parks and playgrounds are closed after dark.  I know it's a radical idea, but maybe if some of us would drop our criminal mentality, then maybe we wouldn't be viewed as, or treated like criminals.   
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Offline FireFistAce

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2010, 07:02:57 AM »
but maybe if some of us would drop our criminal mentality, then maybe we wouldn't be viewed as, or treated like criminals.   

how do you know my mentality? :o

Offline Todd1

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • Darkburg (Harrisburg Parkour)
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2010, 12:00:11 PM »
if some of us...

I never said anything about your mentality specifically.  Your quote did prompt the reply, but I really hoped it was sarcastic.  If it wasn't, then it does say a lot about your mentality. 

I'm not trying to get into an argument or put you down.  I'm commenting on how it's bad enough that people who don't understand what we do mistrust our intentions or think us criminals somehow.  We don't need to perpetuate any connection between parkour and criminal activities, especially from within the community.
"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

Offline J. Howard31

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 02, 2010, 07:54:26 AM »
why?  if you really have love for the sport who gives a f@#c what other people think  ;D
Once you've lost all hope, your free to do anything.  -Fight Club

Offline JakemPK1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 07, 2010, 06:58:05 AM »
Hey bro if people stare at you its because they dont understand what parkour is all about.  This has happen to me sometimes and i just think to myself they dont know what parkour is so i just dont let it get me down and keep training

Offline Leland

• Patas
  • Be stronger then you were yesterday.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 10, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
At least you guys are good. I just started and practicing precisions on cracks on the ground looks incredibly lame lol.