Author Topic: recognize!  (Read 9692 times)

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
Re: recognize!
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 06:00:18 PM »
maybe not taco bell, some fast food thing though, quiznos or somthin
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 06:33:43 PM »
loi·ter

intr.v. loi·tered, loi·ter·ing, loi·ters

1. To stand idly about; linger aimlessly.
   2. To proceed slowly or with many stops: loitered all the way home.
   3. To delay or dawdle: loiter over a task.

I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't sound like a "No Loitering" sign would interfere with MY Parkour training!

Has anyone tried speaking with the proprietor of the space where this sign is posted?

no loitering means don't do anything besides walking, and even when you are walking, you have to be walking with a destination and not in circles, lol. people put no loitering signs up because they are trying to say, "don't hang around here" but with an annoyingly spelled word that nobody uses. lol ;)

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 07:02:36 PM »
to quote Jon stewart impersonating Bush" lurking is just like loitering... except sinister" i love that show

Offline Fr3aki

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2006, 01:15:15 AM »
This topic is kinda funny but also kinda sad. Cause parkour might get banned. This topic has persuaded me to show you a picture that I took infront of a club with my a60 powershot camera. This sign seems more like a joke but still...

Offline kaos

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2006, 11:16:42 AM »
"1. NEVER talk about injuries"

Asa, I'm not really comfortable sweeping injuries under the carpet.  We simply cannot pretend they don't exist.  There has to be a more responsible way to handle it.  However, I do agree whole heartedly that we must work very hard to steer interviews in the right direction.  The columnist who wrote about me didn't take down a word I said.  Sometimes they have an agenda before they even speak to you.

"Q: has anyone been hurt?
A: no one has been seriously injured do to parkour"

Klaymen, I'm not comfortable saying that either.  A responsible reporter would ignore that answer, and do some research to find out that plenty of people have been seriously injured. 

We can't pretend Parkour isn't dangerous, because it is.  A complete newb who is led to believe that their is no risk involved is in for a rude awakening.  Like Asa said, we just need to emphasize how responsible and safe we try to be.

Parkour creates communities, not rivalries. Keep competition out of parkour.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 12:01:52 PM »
i usually say something like "parkour is no different than any other high impact sport such as basketball and football. minor cuts and bruises are common but every once in a while, a more serious injury such as a sprained ankle is inevitable. although we push ourselves to always improve, we never do anything we arent completely confident in trying."

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 02:21:47 PM »
"1. NEVER talk about injuries"

Asa, I'm not really comfortable sweeping injuries under the carpet.  We simply cannot pretend they don't exist.  There has to be a more responsible way to handle it.  However, I do agree whole heartedly that we must work very hard to steer interviews in the right direction.  The columnist who wrote about me didn't take down a word I said.  Sometimes they have an agenda before they even speak to you.

"Q: has anyone been hurt?
A: no one has been seriously injured do to parkour"

Klaymen, I'm not comfortable saying that either.  A responsible reporter would ignore that answer, and do some research to find out that plenty of people have been seriously injured. 

We can't pretend Parkour isn't dangerous, because it is.  A complete newb who is led to believe that their is no risk involved is in for a rude awakening.  Like Asa said, we just need to emphasize how responsible and safe we try to be.

well, it's arguable whether or not they were doing parkour.....but hm....let's see........................i kinda like demon's except maybe not say "high impact". but no one has died from pakour, you could say that (wa5ter was not relate to parkour)

Offline kaos

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • New England Parkour
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 04:50:56 PM »
I like the idea of comparing it to our national past time.  Establishing common ground is good.
Parkour creates communities, not rivalries. Keep competition out of parkour.

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2006, 06:59:08 PM »
ok, i was there with my friend dave who was the one who took this picture on his cell phone. Its DIRECTLY next to a fitness center and a small park. From my own hypothesis, im going to conclude that some guys would work out in the gym, then go outside and pk, and then maybe get hurt. Or go out to the nearby food areas and disrupt people, or possibly run into an/or injure them. I think we should think about how and where we pk, but i don't think that we should worry about this particualr sign too much, i think this was made directly in responce to and event/accident that happened in that specific area. So as long as we watch where we are going and try not to push things past our own individual limits, i think it'll be ok.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 05:53:52 PM »
i see what you mean man, but the point is, we all know we could get away from the cops and stuff.
were trying to avoid bad publicity and giving parkour a bad name
just ignoring the sign will probly get more sign's up there and before you know it, parkour will be like skateboarding (no offense to any skateboarders), banned in most public places as generally thought of as a public disterbance
-Sublime

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2006, 07:13:00 PM »
don't get me wrong, im not saying to ignore the sign, im just saying that they're no need to take it as a sign of impending doom for pk, or the start of a trend that will spread like wildfire. I mean basically as long as we use our heads and have some degree of commn sense, things will be fine.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 05:35:20 PM »
Am I crazy or is everyone forgeting about that leatherbarrow kid.  Though that was actually just a slip and fall off of a roof while scouting it, not techniquely during the act of parkour, I believe it was still pretty much related.  Am I wrong, I don't know, maybe I'm getting my facts wrong?

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »
true its related, but as u probly know, parkour is mainly baised on ground level, roof jumping is not parkour really.
also, he wasn't doing PK when he fell, he was just screwing around on a roof
-Sublime

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2006, 06:27:43 PM »
Well the sad truth is that it is NOT that they are scared of monkey see monkey do, but rather liability.  In the big corporate area of Bethesda, they are worried about liability issues that can arise from injuries on their properties.

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2006, 08:48:02 AM »
Did I , mention that thats like the worlds first no parkour sign, imagine having the worlds first no skateboarding sign.  All I'm sayin is, I'm gonna go get a screwdriver and I'll see you on Ebay in 5-10 years. :)

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »
haha, allreeeaaddyyy ahead of ya...well sorta but peopel whined...

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2006, 11:09:22 AM »
lets not get into this again, k?  ;)

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2006, 07:02:09 PM »
Don't worry, I live in Colorado, you've got nothing to worry about.  Still, that thing is a landmark. :)