Author Topic: recognize!  (Read 9693 times)

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
recognize!
« on: January 09, 2006, 03:19:23 PM »
kurokaze, me and some other guys were jammin around bethesda MD saturday and we came acros....

« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 03:39:19 PM by Demon »
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: recognize!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 03:40:37 PM »
yea i almost crapped myself when i saw this, my friend dave, who took the pic, actually set this pic as his background on his myspace.

:]
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 03:40:55 PM »
lmao at "exercise".

thats pathetic. any guesses on the weight of the person responsible for that sign? 250 lbs? 300?

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 03:48:11 PM »
I'd say at least 300, and thats all around the waist.  What kind of freak would make excercise illegal, and how would they even know about parkour, I didn't think it was getting this big yet.  This is truly sad indeed, saying "no excercise"  isn't that the first sign of the tribulation or something?
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 05:05:41 PM »
Although, we're all laughing about this (as we should, because that's funny) this raises a serious issue.

The Issues:

Is it possible that Parkour will receive the same negative attention from business proprietors as skateboarding? Will the push to ban Parkour snowball to cover all of DC, or even to the whole nation?

The more recognition we bring to Parkour, the more we inject it into the mainstream, either through media exposure, or hitting the streets, the more heat we seem to bringing onto our heads. Could this be? And is increasing media exposure only going to make it more difficult for the new traceurs that this media inspires? The media is truly double-edged in this regard.

My Opinion:

Although I feel it would be selfish, weak, and cowardly to withdraw ourselves from the media, or to altogether stop the effort to bring the media to the as-of-yet uninformed masses, I believe that there are other ways to deal with this situation.

One way that presents itself to be particularly effective is to make sure that the information that reaches public media. It's true that there have been bad stories in the news, regarding Parkour, where the only people to blame were well-intentioned traceurs, with a limited understanding of Parkour, and/or how the press works. They can be very tricky with questions, and baiting you to give them certain answers that would work with a negative angle. Watch the spin.

Be sure of your ability to explain Parkour TRULY, before you accept any interviews. If you don't think you're up to the challenge, refer the journalist/etc. to a more experienced, more versed traceur in your area.

I'll add to this advice two standard rules to live by when producing Parkour media:

1. NEVER talk about injuries. Just don't do it. If you keep getting hounded by "high risk" questions, explain about how little risk a TRACEUR takes, and talk about the reality of ground-level Parkour versus the fantasy of roof-jumping.

2. Stay away from flips. What more can be said? Flipping and Flair is a very controversial, and very volatile area of discussion in the Parkour world, and nothing good will come of it.

Keep your head screwed on tight, and get the first aid kit. We're about to staunch the flow of misinformation.

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 05:16:55 PM »
Whoah. I'm just.....whoah.... Is this picture real? If so, I think I'm gonna send this over to David and Joss...
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline SovXietday

• Legend
  • Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 05:31:17 PM »
You know I'd love to see them prosecute someone for this. How can you prove that someone was doing parkour activities. I can see it now.

*3 year old jumps down steps*

*3 year old gets tackled by police and charged with doing parkour*

::), in all honesty if this sign popped up around here I'd just have to tell the police man that I was "Falling... with style!" :P

"It doesn't have to be fun to be fun"
www.crossfit.com

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 06:36:36 PM »
Haha, I'll ignore the toy story quote, and completely agree.

"Sorry sir, I didn't mean to mangle your delicate cement wall with my hard rubber soles."

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 06:56:02 PM »
Liabilities a bitch ain't it?
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 06:58:06 PM »
yeah whatever happened to ACCOUNTABILITY? damn the people who sue over every little thing they can.

Offline Jon Andrew Nease

• Guenons
  • 3run style!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 07:14:45 PM »
hahaha thats a badass sign. 

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 07:22:24 PM »
i hate how people sue, and it seems like its a completley american thing, this guy in germany was detained for 5 months because they thought that he was a terrorist, it turns out he wasn't, and he has decided to sue for .... only 75,000 dollars!!!. And yet there people in America suing MCdonalds because there fat for MILLILONS OF DOLLARS. Man i love capatalism lol.

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 07:38:55 PM »
Then of course there was that woman that tried to sue Wendy's because she found a finger in her chili (that she planted there), it's amazing that we're still the world power, I'm betting it won't last too much longer.
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 04:07:44 PM »
oh man, that is funny, but it does direct pk down the path of "juvenile delinquents" to people who don't know what pk is. I think this should just make us try even harder to give pk a good name.

I thought it would take a lot longer for those signs to include parkour. Everytime i see a sign that says ," no skateboarding, no rollerblading, no bike riding allowed." i always think, "well they don't say parkour", and chuckle a little bit.

Offline Quazar

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Whatup my Ninja?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006, 04:17:32 PM »
Of course then there's the dreaded kill-all, "NO LOITERING"

damn extensive anglo-saxxon linguistic vocabulary!

that was a mouth-full  :)

"In heaven, we'll all freerun with Jesus"
                           ..."His Kongs are off the hook!"

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2006, 04:22:43 PM »
i think it is safe to say that asa will be our next mod.

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2006, 04:25:20 PM »
Of course then there's the dreaded kill-all, "NO LOITERING"

damn extensive anglo-saxxon linguistic vocabulary!

that was a mouth-full  :)

i bet spell check came in handy for that post :).

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »
loi·ter

intr.v. loi·tered, loi·ter·ing, loi·ters

1. To stand idly about; linger aimlessly.
   2. To proceed slowly or with many stops: loitered all the way home.
   3. To delay or dawdle: loiter over a task.

I don't know about you guys, but that doesn't sound like a "No Loitering" sign would interfere with MY Parkour training!

Has anyone tried speaking with the proprietor of the space where this sign is posted?

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 04:50:14 PM »
well, as we only discovered the sign saturday, plus the fact that the area its in is more of a plaza type place with several shops, taco bell, an italian cafe, a gym just naming a few.. it might take a little time :P
wel work on it, talk to the maryland police or somethin
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 05:11:32 PM »
nope, has nothing to do with the police. It's private property. And where is there a taco bell in bethesda?!

In other news. Guess hwo owns a new sign!

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"