Author Topic: Whats the best for vaulting high things?  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Whats the best for vaulting high things?
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:27:50 PM »
Lately I have been working on my vault heights...and I have gotten both my lazy and my kash vaults to shoulder height (i am practicing on tires at playgrounds...so they are about 2-3 feet wide and about shoulder height) and I was wondering out of curiosity what vault will end up being higher?

Matt

Oh, if you have any videos of really tall vaults...thats cool too.
"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself
 between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. "

Offline Will

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Parkour Is A Way Of Living
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the best for vaulting high things?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:30:31 PM »
I would say out of those two vaults the kash would be better. :) But if I had to chose the highest instead of doing a kash I would try to do a kong/monkey over it for more control. btw I would say kudos on the lazy getting it that high. :)
The Flow Of Life Is A Great One! Go Out There And Live!

Moa

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:15:39 AM »
That is really good that you got your vaults that high mine are still a little over rib heights. But i can pop vault really well about a foot or two over my head. I think that you should work on pop vaults, they are less conventional than a regular vault but they will be your heighest

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 02:47:12 PM »
As a matter of fact, I can't do a pop vault except on a railing, on a wall, i can seem to kick up hard enough. Any resources on that would be greatly appreciated. your pop vault sounds very impressive, any tips? maybe a video?

Anyone here who can do lazy/kong/kash vaults higher that have some tips?
 between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. "

Moa

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:45:40 AM »
Learn to do a wall run, if you can then you are already half way there. Go at the object take a step up the wall like you would on a wall run. Once you get there use your mad vaulting skills to throw your legs over the object and your body will follow. You can also do a variation on a pop vault with a monkey/kong.

http://www.silentmotion.co.uk/techs/popvault.htm this is a good pop vault tutorial that should help you

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:47:50 AM »
OH thats a pop vault...i can already do those above my head...I always thought a pop vault was from a dead stop...lol

Offline Dustin Evanetich

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 07:48:05 PM »
i find that if you "block" your approach you can generate more height to just about any valut. blocking is when you take a small leading jump and plant one or both feet about a stride away from the obstacle and punch into it. this helps carry the momentum from your feet into your upper body and will give you lift and aid you in powering through with your arms. most gymnasts use this technique to gain height and distance to their ground flips and spins.
"One minute is enough. A person has to work hard for it, but a minute of perfection is worth it. A moment is the most you can expect from perfection." - Tyler Durden

Offline aswin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 06:50:39 AM »
i have an idea.... if you can do monkey, you can use your hands to do a leapfrog style push off with your hands(push up). it won't give you much distance, but it will give you height. or you could just do a leapfrog. i do about 1 foot over my head. i'm about 1.6 and 13yrs. you definitely will need a lot of leg and arm strength for this... try practicing a bit lower first. monkey is scary when you do at high heights. good luck! 

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 11:45:25 AM »
Yeah...I can monkey about chest...if I tap the wall with my feet I can monkey up/over something about a foot above my head.

Offline Acewall

• Mangabey
  • He's half black!.....No, he's 50%!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 12:24:25 PM »
Pop-vaults will be your highest vault, providing what your vaulting can be kicked off of. Kash vaults and lazy's are also pretty good for height. The Kong part of the Kash gets you above the obsticle, and the Dash helps move you over it. Lazy's are good because you can approach it diagonally(sp?) and swing your legs up to be parallel with the object.

On a side note...has anyone tried a Pop-Kash vault?....I've been trying to do it but have only actually done it once on a wall a little high than head height. Any tips?
"Does this work?...Let's call some bitches."

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 08:29:02 PM »
A gate vault will be higher then a pop...I have done those over 8 foot high fences with no problem.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 04:34:46 AM »
A gate vault will be higher then a pop...I have done those over 8 foot high fences with no problem.

Try gate vaulting a wall.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »
I'd go with simple vault.
I'm not sure if that's the actual name....
It's like a monkey, but when your feet get up to your hands, you remove one hand and pull your body sideways for the extra height. That's what I'll use for something like a fence or an object I can't quite clear with a monkey.
If it's lower, though, I'll use a monkey or a kong because it helps keep you stable and doesn't waste much energy. =D

Offline milffhater

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 08:45:15 AM »
I always thought the same thing as Aeroblitz that just a two hand vault would work the easiest. But after vaulting something high with a two hand vault I always try it then with a monkey. The monkey seems easier everytime.