Author Topic: Beginner Questions  (Read 5163 times)

Offline mvarkonda

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Beginner Questions
« on: August 02, 2007, 09:03:05 AM »
I am a runner and am very interested in this sport. I have completed the Warm up with no problem..other than my arm strength. My question is where do I start. What do I do and where do I go? I read the "how to get started" section and it says to complete the warm up and the WOD I read the latest WOD and it says to do handstand pushups? How do I get to that point..any suggestions or tips PLEASE...thanks so much...

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: Beginner Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 08:08:37 AM »
If the warmup is easy for you but the WOD is challenging, you're in good company! :) Since the WOD changes every day, there may be some things some days that will be easy for you and other things that will be hard, depending on your fitness.

If the WOD prescribes something that is difficult for you, this is good news, because it means that now you have a goal. For instance: if a HSPU is a challenge, then your goal can be to complete one HSPU. You can train for your HSPU every day even if it's not in the WOD, because it's a goal you're working on.

To progress up to something, go backwards from the "goal exercise" to its most basic level. For example, with the HSPUs, just go for a handstand. See how long you can hold a steady one. Use a wall for support if you need to. When you can hold a handstand without assistance for several seconds, try working up to a pushup. It may take time, but with consistent practice you'll get there.

If the WOD has things in it that are difficult for you, you can set your goals and on those days instead of the "difficult" (goal) exercise you can work on wherever you are in your progression towards it. If the WOD says 10 HSPUs, try holding your handstand for as many seconds as possible. Or set a timer for two minutes, and do a handstand until you get tired. Record the number of seconds you held it. Rest, and try another handstand when you feel ready. Repeat this for the full two minutes, keeping track of the total time out of the two minutes that you were in a handstand. See if your total sustained time within the two minutes increases over a period of weeks. It can be a good way to track progress.

Ultimately, do the stuff in the WOD you can do; progress up to the stuff that proves to be a goal for you. Ultimately as long as you do something every day that develops strength, stamina, coordination, balance, and flexibility you'll be good. Use your goals as a guide.

Regarding how to start parkour, the only way to start is to start. Check out the landing and roll tutorials. Practice these in your livingroom or at a park for a while. Then go out to a place that looks architecturally interesting, or to a playground, and climb on stuff. Try to get yourself over a tree stump using just your hands. Practice QM and rolls together. Get a group of people together and play "Hot Lava" on the playground equipment. Or QM tag. Once you feel comfortable moving in this way, start checking out the vault tutorials and just practice, practice, practice.

Trust me, it happens sloooooooowly, but it's worth it. :)

Good luck!
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline TogaLive

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 09:17:55 PM »
I too am a complete Newbee at all this stuff and can not thank you more for that reply, it was more help than I've gotten and it wasnt even for a question I asked, talk about Ironic. Thanks ;]

Offline demonrunner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • this is me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 09:22:50 PM »
hey I am as well a complete N00b at parkour and I as well just keep reading the tutorials, and lifting my weights. the only part of all this I gotta work on is my cardio (eg. running, and jump rope) and i should be solid now I just need to find someone from my area to jam with.
looked for, we cannot be found
reached for we cannot be touched
-old ninja legend-

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 03:37:04 AM »
I just wanna say guys. Don't call yourselves noobs.

Call me liberal (even though I''m not)but it's a demeaning term. Beginner is a proper term. Noob is just a lack of self-confidence.
Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.

Offline bottleoftalent

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 07:40:46 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful advice. This is a complete beginner at Parkour (I found some videos online and wanting to pick it up) and a lot of my questions were answered just by reading this. I was wondering if it's ok to start with another beginner just to get the basics down. I think I'd rather get moderately comfortable before I go out looking for a more advanced traceur to practice with. And if it's already been asked, I apologize, but I'm just curious.

Offline Jim "Monkey" Parker

• Mangabey
  • I am a leaf on the wind...Watch how I soar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 07:09:03 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful advice. This is a complete beginner at Parkour (I found some videos online and wanting to pick it up) and a lot of my questions were answered just by reading this. I was wondering if it's ok to start with another beginner just to get the basics down. I think I'd rather get moderately comfortable before I go out looking for a more advanced traceur to practice with. And if it's already been asked, I apologize, but I'm just curious.

Heya bottle :)
Definitely grab a friend and start working on the basics. If you are having fun while training you will be more likely to continue. But I certainly wouldn't hesitate seeking out a jam in your area either. One of the fantastic things about Parkour is it seems to attract really nice, helpful and friendly people. So grab your buddy and head to a local jam. Chances are, you'll meet some great folks and probably pick up some really good pointers on technique as well! :)
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step
-Japanese Proverb