Author Topic: Soda fast  (Read 9729 times)

Offline Blarg

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My 'Space
Re: Soda fast
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 07:41:08 AM »
Soda doesn't even taste as good as  you think it does. It's just liquid sugar (low quality sugar, at that), with a bad aftertaste that makes your teeth all sticky.  I went a month without any, had one (Fanta) hated it, never went back.  That was in January.

Mhmm.
I have gone about 2 months now without drinking a whole can of soda, and drinking even a bit of Coke now just tastes nasty...
AIM me if you're near Chester, VA n wanna train...
Me: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/the_blarg_ninja/100_2701.jpg
Now stop asking.

Offline Rookster

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »
I was addicted to soda at one point, so I got a good laugh out of this post -- I did the same thing though, I fasted soda for 30 days -- you end up just never going back, it isn't even good, you aren't addicted to the taste or the carbination, you just are addicted to the sugar high -- I found when I quit I was really low energy and tired for days -- then I felt better than ever, and like a few other people have posted, I lost several unwanted LBS of GUT
Some people go out at night and take shots of alcohol. Me, I take shots of Flax Oil.

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2007, 06:44:33 AM »
ill soda fast, too while i candy fast, starting november.

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2007, 06:50:54 AM »
I haven't drank soda in a year and a half.
You'll feel so GOOD!

Offline Ken PKChiro

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Vital Balance Chiropractic, LLC
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 02:40:33 PM »
soda is ridiculously bad, I have several studies/papers/research reports just on that subject.  It has been definately proven to be THE major cause in childhood obesity.  This includes diabetes, heart disease, digestive disorders (sucks the ph out of your stomach and makes it so you have trouble absorbing nutrients), adrenal disfunction etc etc.  It has permeated the society so much though, and it is def worse than sugar water (sugar having its own bad effects), if it were my way, i would ban it from society honestly.  Even once a week is too much.  sorry guys.  there are NO good studies on them, and HUNDREDS of studies showing how bad they are, and only now are thy starting to be banned from schools etc.  Yeah, i do treat it like the devil, but only because it is run by money mongers that are driving the health of the US down for profit margins.  my opinion.  There are def other bad things out there, and i do indeed drink the occassional soda, that being maybe once every half year, but i used to live on that stuff, and it destroyed my system, decreased bone density, insomnia, etc etc.  not good stuff.  It won't kill you for one can, but as to whether it will kill you if you drink too much?  look it up, it is.

ok, not to be too morbid haha :), no its def bad stuff.  good for you on the fast!
Any information or advice given is not to be interpreted as diagnosis, or statements of causality, conditions should be evaluated by a licensed practitioner of Chiropractic or Medical Doctor IN PERSON.  Therefore treatment recommendation should be considered similarly and bears no consequence to me.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007, 12:18:20 AM »
Stopped drinking soda last summer and haven't gone back. No a little drink here and there isn't bad for you but it honestly has no nutritional value and shouldn't be something you substitute, like most americans do, for other drinks like water, juice and milk.

I drink milk like water...

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »
I stopped drinking soda last week because of this thread!

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2007, 08:56:23 PM »
i hardly ever drink soda.  in fact, i can't even remember the last time i had any...  i drink it the way some people drink champagne; it's something to sip on at a party or special occasion.  even then, though... it just doesn't really hold much appeal to me.

but about cola syrup: i did have some over crushed ice when i had the stomach flu last week.  you can buy this at any drug store.  it works wonders for nausea.  and unlike drinking coke itself, you don't have the carbonation, preservatives, etc.  so, it's not "as bad."  but it is medicine and is to be taken extremely sparingly (one to four tablespoons over a large glass of ice).

keeping that in mind, how awful is it how much of that is in one can of coke??

yuck.
Queen of Puns

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 09:40:55 PM »
the facts are scary.

Offline Jason Pollard

• Patas
  • Aphoticlight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2007, 07:21:41 PM »
wow i really didnt know all that  :o i knew it was bad for you....ive been addicted to pepsi and rootbeer for way to long and im quiting i havent had any soda for 1 week sofar ;D the suger craving is killing me though  :-X

"Run Free Live Free and Think Free"

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 09:04:29 PM »
I haven't had pop for along time..... I don't even know for how long now.   Under a year over three months.
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2007, 11:14:47 AM »
If the pH chart (http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/diet_soda.htm) is accurate, then it's VERY interesting.

I disbelieve that pH chart. I have drunk Dr. Pepper like I should have been drinking juice and water for a fair while. The only time I quit for more than a couple of days was when I had tonsillitis and made sure to do nothing bad for my health. If that pH chart is true, I should have no teeth (Dr. Pepper is the closest to battery acid,) and the only time (for my adult teeth) that my enamel has significantly degraded was when one of my braces got loose and some plaque stuck inside there. I haven't even been faithful in brushing my teeth every night. But no, my teeth are still intact.

When I can, I'll try to get some good-quality apple juice to quench my Dr. Pepper craving. It's close enough for me that my craving is sated by it. I don't expect to lay off soda entirely just yet, though.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2007, 06:36:18 PM »
The pH of that chart is actually fairly accurate.

Teeth don't degrade much to acid unless left in it for a while because the calcium lattice is somewhat resistant, but it can be degraded by bacteria obviously as well as acid. Softer tissue is more susceptible to acid erosion like the mouth and esophagus and sometimes stomach. That's why you have stuff like heart burn and why soda causes that burning/bubbly sensation in your mouth.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2007, 03:35:24 PM »
Interesting. I've never had heartburn. Maybe I should stop drinking soda before I get it.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 10:31:03 PM »
Interesting. I've never had heartburn. Maybe I should stop drinking soda before I get it.

Never heard of heartburn???? Watch any TV? Pepsid AC, Tums, and basically any antacid is for stuff like that. Well, esophagus-stomach sphincter opens up and acid goes up the esophagus giving the "heartburn" sensation.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 11:15:52 PM »
I went to a party tonight.  The drink choices were water and Dr. Pepper.  I thought of this thread and tried not to stare in horror at the ones who chose Dr. Pepper...  :-Sarcasm
Queen of Puns

Offline Jake Meyer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 11:28:27 AM »
So.. I'm reading this while sucking down my diet Dr. Pepper  :-X I'm just about to go dump it out and head for the water cooler.   ;D

I did give up pop few a few months years ago while training for the TKD nationals.  The only real downside I remember from drinking so much water was that I was constantly heading to the restroom.  :-\  Now my teeth hurt just thinking abou tall the pop!  I'm going to get some water now.

Moa

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 07:41:50 AM »
I stopped drinking soda last week because of this thread!
Me too, I now drink MILK
Got Milk?

Offline Rokka

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 08:14:10 AM »
YEAH! GO MILK GO!

I Pretty much gave up soda when me and my friends were goofing around with plaster of paris. The stuff had cemented itself on the inside of a bowl and wouldn't break off even when we took couple of knives and a hammer to it. As a last resort somebody poured the remainder of a bottle of coke in and the plaster just fizzed and broke off in huge clumps. :o I'm pretty sure that pH table is accurate.

Offline Jake Meyer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2007, 05:35:46 AM »
OK it's Monday morning, I'm at work (and already goofing off  :-X) and I may actually just tip over and start twitching if I don't have a soda soon!  I only have 1 can here and if I hold out for another 15 minutes the vending machines will be turned off so I will be limited to just the 1 can.  The precious, precious pop... my prrreeeccioouuusssss.  Sorry, I'm back now.  The pop I will break down and drink today will be the only one I will have had since reading these anti-pop posts.

Hello, I'm jakkal and I'm a pop-aholic.