Author Topic: Soda fast  (Read 9792 times)

Offline BenBanned

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • It's a bird, a plane, Oh s*** call an ambulance!
    • View Profile
Soda fast
« on: July 24, 2007, 04:20:23 AM »
I know that its bad, but I love rootbeer!
So Im not drinking any soda for the month of august, I figured Id update everyone now and then and if you want to join me just shout.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
Re: Soda fast
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 04:24:23 AM »
There was an awesome blog by a guy who gave up soda for 30 days. The computer it's bookmarked on is in storage ATM, but he updated every few days with how he was feeling, etc.

It was pretty cool. Good luck!

Offline BenBanned

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 04:47:36 AM »
That sounds pretty cool, Ill se if I can find it.
Thanks

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »
I heard on the radio today something about how there was a study that came out recently about how drinking a soda a day (even diet soda) increases your chance of diabetes and heart disease by like 50%.

Man, if that's true that's some crazy stuff. I'll try to find it later in my spare time.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline BenBanned

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:50:26 PM »
Yea I dont doubt it everyday you here about how somethings causes cancer or diabetes.
You cant eat anything anymore.

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 07:01:40 PM »
Soda doesn't even taste as good as  you think it does. It's just liquid sugar (low quality sugar, at that), with a bad aftertaste that makes your teeth all sticky.  I went a month without any, had one (Fanta) hated it, never went back.  That was in January.

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 08:06:58 PM »
Man, you guys bash soda so much.

Honestly the stuff is fine every once in a while.

The more you drink of it, only means that you need to workout more and drink much more water.

Of course, refraining from drinking it can never hurt.
Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 08:30:05 PM »
Man, you guys bash soda so much.

Honestly the stuff is fine every once in a while.

The more you drink of it, only means that you need to workout more and drink much more water.

Of course, refraining from drinking it can never hurt.

I agree.  I'm not claiming it's good for you in any way, and it's great to give up.  But I also can see that having one every once in a while wouldn't be too bad.  After all, there are lots of things people eat and drink that aren't ideal for athletic pursuits.  For example, a cheeseburger isn't the best thing in the world to eat for athletes, and I wouldn't recommend eating them all the time, but it tastes good and isn't too bad if you have once every once in a while.

Though I see how coke is bad for you and I'm going to try giving it up.  I have tried before, and failed  :) but I'm setting a goal of going this entire next week without coke ( a small, easily attainable goal  :) ).  If I succeed, I will set another date I will try to reach.

I have already been drinking a lot more water than I have been, and I've also been trying to drink a glass of milk a day to build up my bones stronger.....but I hate milk  :P  Although, I HAVE been seeing an improvement in its taste the more I drink  :) !!!

I'll try and update you all with the details of how my coke fast/ milk & water intake plan goes !
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:42:26 AM »
No one is really arguing that a single sip of soda WILL KILL YOU, but more just that it has no nutritional value whatsoever, and drinking a lot of it has negative effects on your health.

I have never drank any soda; I just never liked the taste.

Offline FlyHigh

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 02:49:43 PM »
i used to drink like two cans of soda a day, but now i am drinking only like a can or 2 a week
friends dont let friends eat mcdonalds

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »
ya dude it only gets easier from there that stuff is bad all around, with the carbonation and plus it slows the production your human growth hormone. (glycemic index)
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 09:47:09 PM »
I just hate what soda has become in our society.  I personally think that it should be more like candy, the occasional treat every once and a while.  Instead soda has become the main beverage in almost all restaurants and homes.  It is disgusting really, my dad used to drink 3 or 4 cokes a day (and almost no water). 

It is extremely unhealthy to have soda be your main beverage, because for one it has absolutely no nutritional value (just like candy).  I also think that soda is one of the main reasons obesity is such a huge problem in the US. 

Now this is not to say that soda is terrible and should be outlawed.  I just can't stand how so many people use it as a subsitute for water.  It should really just be more of an occasional treat, I believe it would be more enjoyable that way anyway. :) 
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 10:01:32 PM »
Cheetah, I love you. But STFU and run :) (c)

I sign up under Cheetah's post, moderation is the key. Should we shake and shiver in agony each time someone says "Soda" and wash hands after interacting with people who drink it? No. Should we drink it non-stop like 95% of people do? No. Have moderation and culture of eating damnit :)
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline Josh Klute

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "Live outside the box"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 10:04:29 PM »
Moderation!  That was the word I was looking for   :)
“All around you people will be tip-toeing through life, just to arrive at death safely.  But dear children, do not tiptoe.  Run, hop, skip, or dance, just don’t tiptoe.”

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 06:22:15 AM »
This article is definitely alarmist and a bit extreme, but: http://www.waterforlifeusa.com/blog/uncategorized/8-ways-soda-fizzles-your-health/

Also not entirely sure how unbiased it is, considering the source website (waterforlife...), but still fairly interesting. If the pH chart (http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/diet_soda.htm) is accurate, then it's VERY interesting.

Offline BenBanned

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 04:26:26 PM »
I dont think soda is all that terrible I just want to see if I can do it.
So far all is good.

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 06:17:35 PM »
We all know that water is important but its never been written down like this before.

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
(Likely applies to half world population)

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:

1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its Ph is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

From some random MMA site I saw recently. I'm too lazy to find the URL again.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 06:49:39 PM »
Those water facts are largely false. I didn't read the soda ones.

Source: Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

Offline BenBanned

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 10:09:55 AM »
When to taco bell yesterday and got a huge lemonade.
To be honest this is not even too difficult.

Offline Asphalt

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 11:46:56 AM »
I enjoy Pop, but I will say that at one point I was have a can every day at work with lunch.  When I cut it out I dropped ten pounds.  And I felt much more active.