Author Topic: Energy boostin snacks??  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Jason Pollard

• Patas
  • Aphoticlight
    • View Profile
Energy boostin snacks??
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:14:50 AM »
what would be a good snack for an energy boost during training???would penuts be good or are there better....PS i want the healthy thanx inadvance for the help ;D

"Run Free Live Free and Think Free"

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
Re: Energy boostin snacks??
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:27:34 AM »
Are you looking for steroids?

I've never gotten any immediate "energy boost" from a power bar or other type of snack. I hear steroids do wonders for instant satisfaction... ::)

PS - that was joke, don't do drugs

Offline Jason Pollard

• Patas
  • Aphoticlight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:35:01 AM »
lol no i dont mean an instant energy boost but just something can help me stay active so i dont just start getting slow and not able to get a good workout because im having trouble in about half way through my workout where i just start to get tired aand cant really do everything properly

and to late on the steroids :o

P.S.  jk bad to do drugs

Offline Jake Meyer

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
Well, if you are inthe middle of running around and need something to maintain your energy level I would think it should be something with some natural sugar in it or something that can be digested quickly.  I used to have beef jerky and fruit when I did construction work.  That helped get me to the end of the day.  I don't know much about how things get digested and what foods are good for what effects.  ???

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:02:07 AM »
Most fruits are really good for keeping up energy. Bananas are my personal favorite, apples close behind. Just munch on one of those during/after your workout/training.

Offline Jason Pollard

• Patas
  • Aphoticlight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »
mk thax ;D also would penuts work??

Offline Slanti

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 03:08:53 PM »
A handful of peanuts, a banana and some water does wonders.
Recharges all your carbohydrates and hydrates you.
"To Each, His Own"

Offline Corey Cedeno

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 06:43:14 PM »
Instant energy = honey

Agreed to the fruits and nuts issue.  Banana's are great since they have their own biodegradable wrapper as is. ;D

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 07:28:41 PM »
During a workout, you want a little carb boost when your energy flags, so natural sugars in the form of fruit are ideal. Bananas are good because they are high in potassium which is often lost through sweat, and this can cause muscle cramps.

If you are going to try to work out for a long time you will want some protein in your snack as well.

Basically foods break down thusly:

Simple carbs=sugars. Digested/used by the body quickly, provide a high spike of rapid energy, but it doesn't last long. Sources: honey, pure sugar, fruits/juice, candy, "white" carbs (e.g. white bread, pasta, potatoes, etc; although these are accessed more slowly by the body than things like fruit or pure sugar), vegetables

Complex carbs=whole grains, some more fibrous fruits/veggies. Digested/used by the body quickly, but more slowly than simple carbs. Provide a high spike of energy over a longer period of time, but still a short burst. Also helps with muscle performance somehow, but I am clueless as to how this works so someone else would provide better information on this than I. Sources: whole-grain breads/pastas (the browner and more textured the better), low GI veggies

Proteins=meats, eggs, dairy products, nuts/seeds. Digested/used by the body slowly. Takes a long time to get energy from them but the energy you get is steady and lasts for a long time rather than spiking and crashing. Helps build muscle, generally good for all sorts of things.

Fats=Provides the body with a near-instant feeling of satiety. Nutritionally I know you need some in your diet, and it needs to be of a certain kind, but I am not sure of the specifics, so someone else would be a better source of information on that.

In a workout snack you want a little bit from each category, although if you can, eliminating the simple carbs is good. What you eat for a workout snack depends on what your goals are. If you just need an extra "boost" to get you past the last few minutes of a long workout, a piece of fruit is a good choice. If you want something that will get you to "push past the plateau" and keep you going for a long time, you need a little bit from each of the above categories. It also depends on if you are trying to lose weight and/or build muscle or what.

Here are some things I eat between long ballet classes (say I have a 5-minute break between two 90-minute classes), or between performances, or before a parkour conditioning session:

*Almond butter on 1 slice live-grain bread, banana, water.

*Handful of cashews, 2-3 whole-grain crackers or melba toasts, 1 string cheese stick, water

*6 oz plain yogurt w/ 2 tablespoons whey protein, some berries, and 1 tablespoon natural granola mixed in, water

*2-3 slices lunch meat on 1/2 whole grain pita bread w/ hummus & alfalfa sprouts, water

*1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ berries or a piece of fruit, water

*1 hard-boiled egg, some carrot sticks w/ ranch dip, water

*1-2 sushi rolls

Hope that helps!
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »
Trail mixes are becoming ever more popular and are easy to make by yourself. Follow Muse's easy layout to see what you are looking for more and create your snack around that. Just make sure your ingredients are unsalted.

Homemade yogurt parfaits are like a little bowl of heaven to me.

Offline chipset

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 09:01:23 PM »
Actually I don't think proteins give you energy at all :) They are used to build muscles, no?

Fats=Provides the body with a near-instant feeling of satiety.
I also am not sure if this is true.
Quote from: Wikipedia
Hunger is a feeling experienced when the glycogen level of the liver falls below a threshold

In fact, this is the reason why sweets are given in the end of a meal. Otherwise, there would be no appetite to eat the food. Unless, of course, you mistake so popular nowadays nervous eating disorder. Which isn't appetite, really.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift"
- The Prefontaine

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 10:14:27 PM »
Also, tiger milk bars work very good, and kick in immediately and have lots of protein..
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »
Trail mixes are becoming ever more popular and are easy to make by yourself. Follow Muse's easy layout to see what you are looking for more and create your snack around that. Just make sure your ingredients are unsalted.

I swear by trail mix and gorp.  A few handfuls of my friend's gorp saved my life while I was backpacking in Big Bend.  I had completely run out of available energy, the sun was going down, and we were still a good eight miles from camp.  If it weren't for my friend giving me a few handfuls of his gorp, I'd have had to pass out there and risk hypothermia while my body slowly broke down some muscle tissue for fuel.

Usually, I mix these things in:
  • Candy-coated chocolate (M&Ms) or peanut butter (Reese's Pieces) - glucose (sugar) gives you an immediate spike of energy, caffeine (in chocolate) makes you feel more energetic, and fat gives you long-term energy
  • Dried fruit - fructose is broken down in 10-20 minutes to give you a second spike of energy when glucose runs out, and fruit is chock full of nutrients, too
  • Very lightly salted nuts - protein (need I say more?), plus a little salt to replenish electrolytes; it's best to salt it yourself to control your salt intake
  • Unsalted seeds - I'm sure this is good for you somehow
  • Granola clusters - complex carbs for an extra kick of energy after the fructose but before the fat; the more unprocessed, the better
  • Dried veggies - fructose and nutrients, like dried fruit

Don't forget to rehydrate when you eat gorp.  It's all dry stuff, and you need to drink more water when you're munching on it.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.