Author Topic: The Thing About Flips...  (Read 6955 times)

Offline FireFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
The Thing About Flips...
« on: August 23, 2006, 10:42:25 AM »
Ok, I have been confused about this ever since I got into Parkour. It doesn't have any flips involved, but yet there are so many people who incorporate flips into Parkour, and yet they still call it Parkour. I do not understand as to why people use flips in Parkour, such as the Yamakasi, and David Belle himself. Are the flips just "add-ons?"

And sorry if I am not following the rules as I'm posting this question. I'm new to the Forum.

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: The Thing About Flips...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:07:56 AM »
Well people like David Belle are proficient enough in parkour to be able to train and exercice other skills such as flips and tricking.  Otherwise, flips are not parkour. 

You cant SEE someone doing flips IN parkour, because the mentality of parkour (efficiency of movement) does not include flips.  You are only DOING Parkour when you are efficiently moving.  The noun of parkour does not denote a time period when you are moving which may contain a flip or two...

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »
You can learn flips if you want but it's not parkour. Go ahead practice flips. When the time comes to use parkour........Don't use flips.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:44:48 PM »
Ugh. Did you not read what I just said? You cant be flipping when you are doing parkour because parkour is not flips. You could easily do vault, flip, vault, flip, vault, flip...but the only times that you are doing parkour is in between those flips. Parkour is a mentality as well as physical movement, and flips are not efficient, thus they are not doing parkour. You can flip your brains out and do it whenever you want, but its not parkour

"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 01:48:51 PM »
Yes I read what I said but I'm not seeing your point.

When Training: Do flips if you want.

In a real life parkour situation: Don't
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 03:07:09 PM »
Firefly, you can see that's it's confusing at best since so many people SEEM to incorporate flips into parkour. You could ask (As I have many times) So if David Belle is running (parkour) and jumps a gap (parkour) and then vaults something (parkour) and then does a flip (not parkour) and then keeps running (parkour) and vaults something (parkour) ... is it true that he was diogn parkour, then not, then doing parkour again? The answer is yes. So while flips may seem to be incorporated, by their nature they are just not parkour. It can be very confusing since many people do flips in the middle of doing parkour, and yes, it does actually cease to be parkour for that brief period. Note that everywhere I say "parkour" in here it's not because running, or vaulting, or jumping IS actually parkour, but that the intention is to get somewhere efficiently, and therefore it COULD be parkour.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline FireFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 03:54:33 PM »
I finally understand now. Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 10:07:11 PM »
people just do flips because they are fun and look cool

Offline Cody G.

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/codymg
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 12:52:28 PM »
i realize that flips arent a part of parkour, and even though i do allot of parkour moves i also do allot of flips and spins and things of that nature when i am at jams and training sessions so when people ask me what i do i try to say that i prefer more urban freeflow and free running than parkour...             i just like to do flips because i like the freedome of movement and it also presents extra chalenges for me.     for instance say there was a medeum or small sized fince or wall that i had to overpass,   instead of just jumping over or vaulting i will usually flip over  ;D 8)

"I refer to my hands, feet and body as the tools of the trade. The hands and feet must be sharpened and improved daily to be efficient." Bruce Lee

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/codymg

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 07:38:42 AM »
That wasnt really relevent to this thread...but ok, thanks for the story

The difference is in parkour, you should be shooting for efficiency...by choosing to flip over the fence,you are just challenging yourself in flipping...not doing parkour

Offline Cody G.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 01:03:01 PM »
i didnt say that i was trying to challenge myself in parkour, because i realize that flips arent parkour and that is beside the point because if you can read i said that i do more urbanfreeflow and freerunning than actual parkour so flips can be a part of that because you have freedome of movement, were in parkour, like you said, it is more about efficiency.                   so you can just go f#ck yourself mr. jumpoffmyfoof.... what the hell is that about anyway  ::)                                   

just kiddin ;D

but seriously :)
"I refer to my hands, feet and body as the tools of the trade. The hands and feet must be sharpened and improved daily to be efficient." Bruce Lee

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 06:25:22 AM »
my friend, urbanfreeflow is not a sport nor an art....they are a company.

And my post name is a joke, started 2 years ago when I first started parkour, it neither reflects my practicing ability nor my philosophy on parkour.

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »
No, but you see that ferret in his avatar? That's what he uses to represent his parkour, AND philosophy. Beat that with a stick.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Cody G.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 07:47:27 PM »
lol just f#ckin w ya dude ;D i meant it as a joke,  i like your post name, avatar etc. sry i realize that it was probably confusing but i think it is kinda funny when people get mad on the forums over little things like that     dont you?

but seriously dude if you want to settle this we can meet man to man and i will beat your ass >:(

jk :-\     lol ok not funny anymore ill stop :)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 07:55:22 PM by pkmonkey »

Offline PK4Life

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 03:17:25 PM »
hey everybody, im still a little confused why everyone here tries to break everything that these guys do into "parkour" or "not parkour" i would say that if someone wants to do a flip while doing parkour, why call it "not parkour" i dont understand what the big deal is with that why don't you just incorperate what all of these guys who are really good at it do into parkour. I dont see why you should break it down so much.
             Here's a link with the rules of parkour that i understand is what parkour is all about:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6614398787467285640

It says that "for any trick you are planning to do, you need to train in a safe environment" so to me this really takes apart that definition this site gave to parkour. any thoughts?

Offline bobbshields

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 07:48:27 AM »
hey everybody, im still a little confused why everyone here tries to break everything that these guys do into "parkour" or "not parkour" i would say that if someone wants to do a flip while doing parkour, why call it "not parkour" i dont understand what the big deal is with that why don't you just incorperate what all of these guys who are really good at it do into parkour. I dont see why you should break it down so much.
             Here's a link with the rules of parkour that i understand is what parkour is all about:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6614398787467285640

It says that "for any trick you are planning to do, you need to train in a safe environment" so to me this really takes apart that definition this site gave to parkour. any thoughts?

That was an excellent video.  Here's a breakdown of my understanding of what parkour is, verses the discipline of free running.

Parkour is the art of movement.  It involves dealing with the obstacles of your environment in a fluid and EFFICIENT method.  It is not intended to be flashy in itself, but the art of it actually makes it visually appealing.  Parkour is about moving and getting through the environment. 

Free running, a close discipline, but separate none-the-less, shares many aspects of parkour.  However, free running is about the flash and the show.  A free runner may stay on one obstacle for an extended period of time, trying to learn new tricks to it.  This is where i see the flips coming into play.

M2, you said something about David Belle doing flips.  I have only seen that occur one time.  It was in a training video, and when I finally found a version translated to English, he said something along the lines of: "I don't normally do this (flip), but its fun so what the heck."

That's my input

May your life be filled
with many obstacles