Author Topic: Chase new Xbox advert!!!  (Read 5132 times)

Offline Rek

• Patas
    • View Profile
Chase new Xbox advert!!!
« on: June 29, 2007, 11:15:02 AM »
Not sure if this was posted or not  :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unmIRB55RJE

Offline Warpigs330

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Chase new Xbox advert!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 11:37:50 AM »
so...many...flips... plus my speakers kinda suck so I wasn't able to hear any of the audio.

Baounit

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 01:06:28 PM »
That was great man.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
that was one of the coolest comercials i have ever seen. ;)
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Cody G.

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/codymg
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:23:26 PM »
indeed it was my friend, indeed it was!! ;)
"I refer to my hands, feet and body as the tools of the trade. The hands and feet must be sharpened and improved daily to be efficient." Bruce Lee

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/codymg

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 09:49:04 PM »
It was SOOO awesome!
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 09:17:49 AM »
man, this commercial is what i think about and wish would happen to me every day.

I wonder if Chase himself partially thinks like that, or if it was all just xbox scripting it.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Donotfeedthemax

• Patas
  • It's Max.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 06:58:22 PM »
Yeah, this has been posted before. And I STILL can't figure out, though, why did his hand go through the table!?

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 07:16:22 PM »
Yeah, this has been posted before. And I STILL can't figure out, though, why did his hand go through the table!?

its a state of mind, and somewhat explained in the matrix, although does not follow the whole, this world doesn't exist thing.

Its hard to explain, and there's not really a name for it, but i guess its like thinking wayyyyy outside the box. Its the idea that by thinking and believing that either you have complete control of yourself within this reality(to the point that you can defy physical limitations and laws), or that you are able to seperate yourself from reality completely, and thus become able to see the truth in everything, and be able to perform inhuman abilities(hand thru things, flying, levitation, ESP, Psychokinesis).

Either way you must truly and completely believe that this "reality" is not as it seems, and that you are completely able to operate outside of its parameters.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 07:17:59 PM by Kurokaze »
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline stryderpk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • me and jenx
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »
that commercial was hott

Steez

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 09:36:08 AM »
hmm... a commercial with a total "free-yourself, become the master of your physical and mental environment" message advertising video games...
admittedly, some video games probably improve cognitive abilities...but getting that headshot wont teach you how to do what Chase is doing.  probably the opposite, what with time commitments, etc.

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 11:34:51 AM »

If you listen to what he says, he says
"Thats when I did my first slip, I was looking where my hand should of been, and it wasnt."
So that was just a visual of what it feels like when you bail.

I also belive chase does think like what he says in the video, he has alot of matrix refrences in his videos.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
hmm... a commercial with a total "free-yourself, become the master of your physical and mental environment" message advertising video games...
admittedly, some video games probably improve cognitive abilities...but getting that headshot wont teach you how to do what Chase is doing.  probably the opposite, what with time commitments, etc.

Video games actually do increase spatial perception/awareness, bodily awareness, and several other cognitive abilities.  There're plenty of studies on the subject.  Or take a cognitive science course!  It follows the same ideas of the famous psychological experiment "kitten carousel."

That said...  Very cool commercial.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 11:28:56 PM »
Could you point to a test that was conclusive? The only thing I see for Saptial awareness wasdone by tufts medical and was inconclusive. I personallyhaveahard time believing that video games increase real world spatial awareness, to me that would be like saying they increase strength or balance!

In fact, what I found about "Kitten Carousel" suggest the opposite of what you're saying (maybe I misunderstood you?)

The 'kitten carousel' study showed that only kittens who moved actively around their environment (in the carousel) developed normal depth perception. Kittens who were passively carried had abnormal depth perception, even though their visual experience was identical to that of the active kittens - indicating the important role of experience.

This means that a video game (passive experience) wouldn't create correct motor skills for the physical world.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline toekneebullard

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • tonybullard.com
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
Spatial awareness note:  I think video games could definitely improve your spatial observation skills at the least...

Back on topic: Anyone know where/if I can find a higher quality version of this?  I LOVE this commercial.

Moa

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 09:30:15 AM »
I have recently been reading some philosophie books, and i think that the idea with his hand going through the table is that, we dont really know what reality is because our only way of precieving reality is with our senses and what if reality really is different from what we see and hear and touch... What if life doesn't follow the rules, and only we follow the rules, and what if we really dont have to if we free ourself from the conciousness that we are constricted by.

Moa

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 09:38:08 AM »
Sorry about the double post but i just thought of this  In the beginning he says "can you do it?" i think the sound quality wasnt very good(so he might not have said this) but another thing on this thought i had is, what if you really can do anything? As long as your mind will allow it. I wouldn't jump off a 4 story building because of the injury that would result, but what if somebody 'knew' they could do it and did it. What if parkour is all mental training showing us that these things that we do are possible so that everything would eventualy become possible as long a we slowly progress. That was a very abstract thought, and i dont really believe it but what if it was.

Offline Donotfeedthemax

• Patas
  • It's Max.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »
Uh, yeah, that's a nice idea in theory and it's interesting and stuff, but with that kinda mindset, I mean, confidence is a good thing, but overconfidence to extremes like that will get you killed. Dead. Or at least you'll hurt yourself. Jumping off a four story building is just stupid. Maybe I'm should free my mind, square, but yeah, I'm not gonna be the one to mess around with reality. The only way to mess around with reality is when you aren't IN reality, like a movie, 'cause it's not really happening anyway.

Moa

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 10:21:58 AM »
Ya that is why i never really think like that whenever i am doing something dangerous because that could easily get me killed

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »
Wel, I just said I found a study by tufts Medical that didn't show that, and the "famous" kitten Carousel which didn't show that, but I guess if you want to insist ...

EDITED - so sorry, think I only saw the end of page 1, this is in response to toeknee.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:50:13 PM by M2. »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams