Author Topic: btay - tastes like parkour (HIpk)  (Read 80935 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Re: btay - tastes like parkour (HIpk)
« Reply #300 on: July 28, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
Crazy ass tree, looks fun.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »
Post 700: My old tradition was to post something special on the 100s, both here and at HIpk.

I've got 2 tests to go for my July MN testing... currently I'm at +42.1. [April: +12.1, May: +28.65, June: +35.5]
Though it'd be difficult, I'd really be happy if I could pull off a +46. That's +3.9 in two events that have lately been -4.
1500 - I ran a 5:10 mile as a freshman in high school. That would give me a +4. Never mind that that was 32 years ago, and I only weighed about 1/2 what I do now. Maybe less.

That's why I like MN/ MN influenced workouts. It's fun, there's a ton of variety, I don't HAVE to do flippy stuff or tricks, it's outdoors, it's cheap, and the testing is giving me solid goals to shoot for.

Am I pushing REAL HARD? No. Shaving a couple seconds off my 100m time isn't that important to me. I'm happy to be injury free. My goal is to be able to do MN type stuff when I'm in my 90s. I'm half-way there, and I'm happy. This is one area of my life where I'm doing ok.

Last Thanksgiving I had bulked up to 185# [doing weights]. I'm back down to 165#, and I'm much more comfortable vaulting, and generally moving. I don't plan to get into marathon shape again. It wasn't worth it.

Will I try competitive running again? Every year I get that itch when I see the XTERRA coming up. It's a nasty race, and I think "If I was only in shape, I could blast that thing." Meaning - if I had no responsibilities, and could train like I did in the early 90s, I might be able to do well. Very well, at the 5K. The "serious" runners do the 10K.

So one minor area down, six or seven major areas of my life to try to steer the right direction. I want to finish well.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #302 on: July 31, 2009, 02:34:23 AM »
Brother, I really cant wait to go to Maui and do some MN with you. I know I will learn a lot from you.
I say you just keep training the way you are doing for a year, then you can do the xterra next year. Couple years max is a good goal.
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #303 on: July 31, 2009, 12:03:52 PM »
Well, we're all still learning. It'd be a lot of fun to train with you. I'd have to force you to do distance, because you can probably wipe me out on most everything else. Except maybe the swimming. It would be a good challenge. I'll keep training.

5k. I can do the distance fine. The terrain is too thorny for me to do it barefoot - especially through Cactus Alley and the kiawe forest. For me the problems are time, money, speed and ego. If they open a running practice course, I'm going to do that this year. I can go to Big Beach any time, and run that part of the course. Same with the road.

THU: Didn't do my final tests - helped a friend out with computer issues, then went for a sunset walk with Geri. I still vaulted a couple trees, tic tac off a tree onto a low wall, balance jogged on rocks, and climbed partway up a coco palm. And got a lot of stink eye.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #304 on: July 31, 2009, 12:32:39 PM »
Well, we're all still learning. It'd be a lot of fun to train with you. I'd have to force you to do distance, because you can probably wipe me out on most everything else. Except maybe the swimming. It would be a good challenge. I'll keep training.

5k. I can do the distance fine. The terrain is too thorny for me to do it barefoot - especially through Cactus Alley and the kiawe forest. For me the problems are time, money, speed and ego. If they open a running practice course, I'm going to do that this year. I can go to Big Beach any time, and run that part of the course. Same with the road.

Yup, cardio is not my forte at all, been trying to do some training for it. I think I like uphills sprints more than I do running. Although I find it better running with someone. Maybe cuz I woulnd want to make the other person stop just cuz I do.
Swimming I havent done in a long time. Long distance that is. Problem with that is transportation. Dont want to take the bus to the beach then back. I live near the bay but that water doesnt look to inviting.

Lucky you, you can just go to where they hold the race to train, you should definitelly take advantage of that. Next year maybe?
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #305 on: July 31, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »
Just teasing you. When I trained with Shiloh, we just did a couple sprints. Our swimming was mostly jump into the ocean to cool down a bit. It made sumo/ BJJ/ judo difficult tho.

By myself, I do more endurance. I'm planning to do more sprint intervals in August - see if I can get my times down, significantly.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #306 on: August 01, 2009, 01:00:58 PM »
FRI: Finished my testing: +44.65 for the month!! I was really hoping for +46. This is still an improvement of +9.15 for the month and +32.55 since April. That's a huge increase.

After testing, I went to KC and did a few vaults, threw and caught a rock. One thing I tried was holding it palm down and dropping it, and trying to catch it palm down with the other hand. Also did a lot of the Antidote exercises with the rock in my hand.

My weak points are my sprints and the running long jump [sprint w/ a jump at the end]. I'll work on everything else this month, but focus on those.

JCDubb

« Reply #307 on: August 01, 2009, 01:31:48 PM »
running long jump [sprint w/ a jump at the end].

thats difficult for me too, i find the timing of the jump to be the most difficult part.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2009, 03:02:43 PM »
When doing a sprint/jump/leap, your steps before the leap have to be long strides, it wont slow you down much, but it will help your take of. Look at the long jump guys, they sprint very fast then start with very long strides as they prepare.

havent tried it in a while, will try it and let you know.
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #309 on: August 01, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »
Thanks, Ozzi - I'll try that. I know there's plenty room for improvement.

I think I'm going to set my goal this month for +50. That means I'll have to improve +0.5 in each of the tests. I know I can sprint faster - I did it in May. Same with the running long jump. Throwing, swimming, diving - June was better. If I hit my PRs for Aug that would be +52.7... so maybe I should set the bar at +54?

That would give me a good chance to hit "exceptional" = +60 for September. That would be so cool.

Sprints, deadlifts, and having lots of fun. That's what I'm focusing on for August, I guess.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #310 on: August 03, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »
[I'm just going to copy from my "Primal Challenge Journal" this month.] LINK

I've been doing ok with the 3 elements of exercise: especially the #4 lifting and #5 sprinting. The frequent slow movement #3 is harder since I'm tied to a desk... at least in theory. I've been doing Methode Naturelle inspired training since April, based on the WW1 era books of Georges Hebert. It's full body functional exercise. Since I started, I have gone from a fitness level of +12.1 to +44.65 last month.

The tests are 100m, 500m, 1500m runs, hi and long jumps (standing and running), rope climb, press, shot put, swim 100m and dive (time)

Lunch = Beef, peas, potatoes, carrots, corn on cob, water.

I am still thinking about my goals for August: for fitness, it's a +54. That's a big increase, but it's not unreasonable. Sprints, heavy lifting, and lots of fun. I play #7 outdoors #8 a lot.

Eating: It's usually whatever I can find. While I still plan to eat rice, potatoes, corn, etc... I plan to eat it in as natural a form as possible #1. Cut down on sugars and HFCS [poison #2]. I'm not up for bugs... sorry.

#6 Sleep: This is a hard one for me. I don't get enough sleep. I will try taking naps, prioritizing time better. It's also a social thing - keep my wife happy = better sleep for me.

#9 Avoid stupid mistakes. Oog. I need to re-read this.

#10 Use brain: I want to write a song, a story for kids, and a 24 page comic book this month.

--- --- --- ---
SAT: Walked to bank/ work. Found a steel fence post with concrete at one end [Mace]. It was too heavy, but I played with it a little. Got my bike, did 20/10 sprints home into a stiff headwind.

SUN: Little stiff at the start. Walked to beach. Jogged. 20/10 sprints. Found an anchor [10 gallon +/- block of concrete] so 180# or so. I'm guessing more like 150#. I deadlifted it x10 and pulled it by the rope 10m down the beach, back up, and deadlifted it x10. Swam 20/10 sprints [freestyle/side] for 400m or so. QM under the wharf. [saw crabs]. 30/90 sprints home. Tic-tac the tree to wall. Konged picnic table at the end.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #311 on: August 04, 2009, 03:24:17 PM »
MON: Got outside and walked around on break.

Supper: Chicken vegetable curry: Chicken, curry, onion, potato, purple sweet potato, carrot, water, and coconut milk. I ate it over rice. Drank 1 oz root beer, and then water. I've been LOSING weight since Thanksgiving - 19 or 20 pounds in 8 months. A lot of that was bulky muscle - from doing a lot of 450# leg presses, eating a lot, etc.

Went to class: Love and Respect, a marriage enrichment class.

After, I just did "Antidote" with 5 pound dumbbells. Feeling a little R ankle weirdness, so I'm babying it a little.
Did a couple comic strips: "Is that your dad?" and "100% organic". Basically, start with a title and do a comic. I was going to do a page, but strip came more natural for what I was thinking. They were very poorly drawn, but still funny.

TUE: Sleep = maybe 5 + 2 hours sleep. I feel good. <3
At work, everyone sang Happy Birthday to me. 46 today. I got cookies, and haven't eaten them.
Lunch: Chicken salad: chicken, carrot, onion, greens, chopped nuts, and a light vinaigrette dressing.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #312 on: August 04, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
TUE: Aft break: peanuts, water, and a short walk outside. Co-workers had cake for my birthday so I had a small piece and some juice.

Eve: Walked from G's work to my work. Hopped the wall. Changed.
Barefoot: Went to the wall and got my "mace" a 5' chunk of metal pipe with a big jagged chunk of concrete at one end. I balanced on wall and swung that around for quite a while. Then I walked to soccer field and did 2x 24' hang traverses. My arms were shot, so I did punches, back fists, hammer fists, chops, ridge hands, palm strikes and elbow strikes. Then I climbed on top of the goal, and tried to do support traverse, but only got 8' or so. I stalked a cat, and charged it when I got about 10' away. Jogged 60m figure 8s, trying not to step on any of the lines where the mower had chunked the earth. Did 6' wall pops, and support shimmy traverses and cat crawls. I couldn't get 7' Climbed on top of the goal again. Did 18' support traverse. Set slippas on ground 12' apart. Tried to running long jump over them. I was consistent at about 11' 6" to 12'. Did practice taking longer strides before jumping. Got one about 12' 6". Walked my recoveries. Did a few pull-ups in tree. Climbed fence. Swam front crawl sprints 20 sec, with as much recovery as I felt like taking.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »
TUE: Walked back to G's work. Ate a cookie.
Supper: Curry chicken over rice.
Sleep: Many interruptions.

WED: Biked to work.
Break: Banana and mango. Jog/ walk with 6 vaults, 10 box jumps, 4 precision jumps, 5 dips, 5 pull-ups. Just to get a snips and some cable ties ;D

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #314 on: August 07, 2009, 02:51:57 PM »
This is a workout journal. Sorry for the digressions.

THU: Fun hike with Tim and Tom from BApk @ Iao Valley. I went barefoot, but carried slippas just in case. I never wore them, tho there were a couple times I wanted to. My first decent jump I hit a slippery rock. I fell back into the stream, my glasses fell somewhere else... into 3' of whitewater. I wasted 5-10 minutes underwater before I found them. Put them in the pack.

Because I was barefoot, and the trail was fairly rocky, I didn't run. I let them take the lead into Iao, about 45 minutes. We stopped for guava [yum]. I didn't stop for mud [squish]. On the way back, we 90% rock-hopped in the stream. They were taking long precisions, larger drops. Because I was barefoot and couldn't see well I was a lot more cautious. They both took their share of wipeouts. I'm looking forward to the pics and video. ;D

A lot of QM, a lot of small jumps [and a few bigger ones], a lot of walking. Some balance. A little climbing. Some swimming. I carried their packs a little, since I was taking safer routes. It's amazing how a little pack can throw your balance off, or get caught on a tree as you QM under. I don't even usually wear a shirt when I train, so wearing a wet shirt, plus a pack, plus the slippas over my hands...

Finished off with some regular PK stuff by the bridge. Rail vaults, wall vaults, precisions, cat crawls, rail-walking [I didn't]. I had one bad landing. You can REALLY feel the difference barefoot.

One thing - they got bit by mosquitos. I didn't. Was it because I spent that time underwater at the beginning? Or was it the curry I ate WED night? I don't know.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #315 on: August 08, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »
FRI: Easy day. Just a few miles biking.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #316 on: August 08, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »
Biked like 14 miles. Hiked part of the Lahaina Pali trail 1 to 1.5 mi up. Going kinda slow. Decided I really didn't want to get caught on the trail at night again. Turned around, and hiked partway down barefoot - VERY SLOW. Hit kiawe, so I put my slippas on for the last little bit. Biked back to work. Trying to cross the street, somebody did a right turn - didn't see me. To avoid getting hit, I hit a light pole on the sidewalk. If anybody asks, I got those scrapes walking the Lahaina Pali barefoot. Went swimming. 20/10 fast/slow. It takes all the enjoyment out of swimming.

Hour of dghs. I hate the phone.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #317 on: August 10, 2009, 04:08:59 PM »
No shirt? No shoes? No problem.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #318 on: August 12, 2009, 12:15:01 PM »
MON: biked a little.
TUE: walked a lot, with lots of multiple hit "semi-precisions" at a jog pace. Some balance.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #319 on: August 12, 2009, 03:14:35 PM »
I'm wondering if I should try to limit my posts to 140 char [like Twitter]. It won't make them any less popular, and it will sure be a lot shorter. I'll try it this week..