Author Topic: btay - tastes like parkour (HIpk)  (Read 81090 times)

Offline Max G

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: btay - tastes like parkour
« Reply #280 on: June 29, 2009, 05:01:04 PM »
hey nice stuff gregg; thanks for posting the link

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #281 on: July 09, 2009, 10:00:24 PM »
TUE: I was NOT motivated to work out. I felt sluggish - had <2 hours interrupted sleep last night. Ate a good breakfast, but instant noodles for lunch. [That's why the zombie pic]

Not in mood to sprint, didn't feel like climbing. Overall in a mean sucky mood.

Barefoot: jogged in grass. Jabbed, ridge hand, palm strikes and elbows on padded soccer upright - enough force to sting, and shake the post. Low level sweeps and side kicks. Alternated jogging with sprint bursts of 10 - 20 steps. QM to sprint, with jog recovery. Lifted a metal pole to full overhead press, then some bicep curls. Standing and running jumps, with jog recovery. Crab walk to sprint, with jog recovery. Tried to juggle rock, but arms were shot, so got a smaller rock, juggled it/ threw/ caught it while I ran. Shot put the rock to next tree, pull up [or climb then pull up if a higher tree], then drop and sprint to the rock. Repeated around the field twice. Carried 4x4 wooden beam on shoulder - tried to run but it didn't work good - walked fast. Precisions onto low concrete wall. Side precisions. Hang traverse soccer goal crossbeams, jog/ sprint. Tried to wall pop but it was bad with bare feet on textured wall. Balance walk on concrete walls. Lifted/ pressed the iron pipe some more.

Finished off with swimming - alternating fast lengths with slow ones, did a little underwater, some hand walking and explosive hand stand pushups in shallow water.

Went pretty much non-stop for about 55 minutes. Got in all 12 utility exercises...
I feel good, now. Relaxed. Happy. Tired.

As always sounds like fun, pretty motivating but I am pretty sick right now. More on my journal.

You ever try the rock lift/walk underwater thing?

I rarely lift/ carry rocks underwater. It's fun. I just forget to do it.

WED NITE: SLIPPERS: Started with walking and tree pull-ups. Balance jog on wall. Lift/ press 70# x 10. Jogged about 4 miles - mostly on rocky path, or road. Tried some barefoot. Ok on grass, not on the path in the dark. Ten or so 2 hand rail vaults at KCC as I went by. Lift/ press 70# x6 - form was a little sucky on #7. Hand foot lateral QM on low walls.
   Hit the pool for some underwater stuff. Then did a width, followed by 10 kicks each side: hooks, fronts, rears, knees. Then lateral QM up/down around part of the deep end, followed by 2 widths, QM back, 2 widths....
   Felt good about it all. Floated a little to relax.

DID: Walk Run Jump Climb Balance QM Lift Defense Swim... NOT: Carry Throw Catch

THU: Busy at work - did some functional PK - vaulted tables to move some equipment. Also some pulls and other vaults. Shoots - I just realized if I'd gotten +0.5 more, I would've made SUPERIOR. Need to get to +60 for EXCEPTIONAL. That's going to take some work.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »
FRI: Carry 30# bag a mile +

SAT: Beach walk. Paddleball. QM in water. Carried Geri - ran in chest high water. Swim out - dive - swim back underwater and try to touch Geri's foot as she's moving away [repeat]. Cartwheels. Dive - pick up rocks - throw them - swim to where they landed [repeat]. Run - tried front flips in the shore pound but landed on my butt every time.

SUN: At KC. Vault and flow training. Tried chaining 4+ vaults together in flow. Was ok on 3-4 of them - rails and a low wall. Last was jumping up on one planter, then between bushes, through a chest high window. I just slowed it - jumped, then stepped thru the bushes and popped the window.] Wall pops [no traction]. Pulls, knees to bar. Hand strikes.

MON: Pulls, knees to bar, dips, a few vaults.

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2009, 11:10:02 AM »
Leg Press and weight machines are never good/useful... I'd stay away from them all-together... Anyways, this looks interesting and I'll be keeping my eye on this.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
I stopped using treadmill/ machines in mid-December. I got yelled at by the people at the gym because I was "abusing" the equipment - running at 11 mph, leg pressing 470#, maxing out the torso rotation machine...

It was easier just to get out of the gym, and stay out.

I was already training Methode Naturelle inspired. As I read [and translated] some of Georges Hebert's books for the guys at HIpk, I got more and more into it. I've been reading Erwan LeCorre, Frank Forencich, Mark Sisson, and others who are doing primal/ natural training.

I have 40 pages of training journal HERE AT HIpk.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #285 on: July 15, 2009, 10:06:52 AM »
TUE: 120 yard course with 5 vaults. Ran thru it several times - flow not so great.
Walked outside while eating lunch - also did some balance and sorta pistols.
Animal Stick straight moves and small circles. Felt nice in forearms. [used one mop]
Cat crawl on rail. SuperJoints joint mobility. 6 and 45 sec frog planche - it's been over a year since I last tried - I was happy with my balance.

Yesterday was constant interruptions. I had to just jam my "training" into any available down time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:14:04 PM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2009, 03:12:38 PM »
WED: LUNCH: Barefoot: Started walk -> jog -> run -> sprint on soccer field. Had probs getting grip on goal but did hang traverse with bent arms, jog length of field, hang traverse extended arm, jog length of field, hang traverse with bent arms [mostly]. Ran some more. Length of QM. Jog on top of wall - QM under low branches - small gap jump. Lift 70#. Walked on sharp gravel to toughen feet and catch my breath. Jump onto/ off wall gradually increasing height. Jog on pavement. Hang traverse extended arm - ripped off all my calluses on both hands... OW! Carried and ran on pavement with 9' 4x4 balanced over shoulder. Climbed gate. Swam 50m fast, 50m slow x2

That was all I could squeeze in.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #287 on: July 16, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »
WED: EVE: No traction shoes: Rail and wall vaults. Wall pops - right around 10-10.5' despite junk shoes. Most were single tap, a couple double taps. Top outs, 6-7' drops. One was a bit heavy. Balance jogging on edge of fountain. Tried pulls, but hands were just too sore.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #288 on: July 17, 2009, 10:36:43 AM »
THU NIGHT: Jog walked to the beach in slippahs. Found an area of coarse sand [and bits of coral]. Put the slippahs about 6 feet apart. Ran figure 8s as fast as I could. Jogged recoveries. Repeated over and over. Ran barefoot, jumping on/off a 2' wall. Couple vaults. Jog walked to another beach. Did sprints N, recovery jogs S [with arm mobility exercises]. Deadlifted rock [maybe 50#?] using my fingertips. Jog walked while juggling a coconut. Bunch of vaults. A few pulls. Cat crawl on low wall. Ran. Climbed coco palm a little. Balance/ rock hopping. Jogged. Suspensions at banyan tree. Walked home.

DID: Walk, run, jump, climb, QM, balance, lift, throw, catch
NOT: carry, defense, swim

Hands are healing. I got two calluses to partially re-attach. Other is still flapping around. I slathered them in aloe last night, which felt nice.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:43:00 AM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #289 on: July 17, 2009, 05:13:35 PM »
FRI: Kirovs. It felt weird... Jog walk warmup. Ran 500m. Lifted and carried a rock. It wasn't so heavy, maybe 75-80# but I couldn't go far after the run. Maybe 40m or so. Ran 100m, jumping back and forth across a 7-9' puddle. Balance jog on wall. Precisions. Tried to press 70# but it hurt my hand, so I only did a few reps. Box jumps about 32". Ran about 250m. Lift and carry 2 4x4s 200m. Ran 500m, jumping the puddle the first 100m or so. Lift and carry 3 4x4s 200m - straining towards the end. Jogged 250m. Vaulted onto wall, climbed over fence. Front kicks x20 ea, swam a length fast, a length slow. Knee strikes x10 ea, swam a length fast, a length slow. Back fist, punch combo x10 ea. 2 widths underwater. Hammer fist, palm strike x10 ea. 2 widths underwater. Ridge hands x10 ea, Hook, uppercut x10 ea. Floated a bit. Nice cold shower.

DID: Walk, run, jump, [climb barely], balance, lift, carry, defense, swim
NOT: QM, throw, catch - hands are still sore.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2009, 12:21:34 AM »
FRI NIGHT: In Locals. Paul, Jeremy, Mark and Ishi from the band were supposed to get together after practice to run hills. I thought I was going home right after. Nope. Turns out G went out with friends. So I headed where I thought they were going - long hill from MPD to Wailuku. I was early, so I ran 4 sets - about 4 miles [elevation?]. Then I walked around a little to see if I could find them anywhere. Nope.

Jeremy wants to film a promo video - see if we can get some sponsorships. Guess I have to work on my chops.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #291 on: July 19, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »
SAT: Just a couple miles biking. My calves were sore.

SUN NIGHT: Slippas. Saw LOW TECH HIGH EFFECT video. Did arm mobility exercises while I walked over to a nearby tire store. Did a wide variety of lifts, swings, throws and catches with a 15" radial. Jogged a couple miles - it took that long for my brain to catch up [or for me to hear, "Why are you going towards that park? You know it's not that safe at night."]

Barefoot: Did 3 very dead-hang pull-ups -> 60m sprint [x4 or so?] [I was using the hang as breathing recovery - "derivative activities"]. A few more sprints - had to dodge frogs that were out on the field. Walked to pool. Swim 1 fast length, 1 sidestroke. [x3?] A little QM. Grabbed a plastic table and tried to swim sidestroke with it held out of the water. I got about 25m on one side, and only 15 or so on the other. Swam a couple widths underwater. Balance on one foot with the other in front, to the side, in back, while trying to dry myself off vigorously.

DID: Walk, run, climb, QM, balance, lift, carry, throw, catch, swim
NOT: Jump, defense

I was going for a more "classic" MN training - at least at first. But I went more like SERIES 1, 2, 4, [3/6], 6, 3, 6, 3, 7... but I did keep it going pretty much constant except for the few seconds between QM and looking for something to swim with.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #292 on: July 22, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
TUE NIGHT: Barefoot. It was mostly a long slow walk over many different surfaces. The best part = the stars were so beautiful. The worst part = I mostly couldn't see my footing at all, so I was stepping VERY carefully. Dry sand, wet sand, grass, dirt, gravel, lava cinders, rock, pavement.

I did very little other stuff: A little wall climbing and balance. A bunch of vaults at NOAA. Some cat crawling. Throwing and catching a small coconut. Tried to throw at target and missed badly. ;D Finished off with suspensions and a little swinging around on branches on banyan tree.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #293 on: July 22, 2009, 09:38:11 PM »
Uberstressed, not enough food or sleep. Lame workout. Sorry.

WED: Mace swings, small and light - little challenge. Overhead squats - as "not fun" as Ben said they were. 5x40. Outside - tried to climb tree using only arms. Less progress than usual. Swam lengths.

I feel better. Much less stressed. Maybe tomorrow...

Offline OisinsRevenge

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 24, 2009, 03:16:20 PM »
How did the Overheads treat you?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #295 on: July 24, 2009, 04:31:30 PM »
Like you, I did light weight and fought to keep the weights from coming forward. I did 5, said, "Fine. I did 5. I'm going outside."

THU: Biking and "The Antidote" flex routine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3uGSVZq4KE Also some scattered pulls and jumps.
FRI: Biking and "The Antidote". Later did part of the Antidote while walking on a low wall.

Hoping to get a REAL workout this evening...

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #296 on: July 25, 2009, 02:28:10 PM »
SAT: AM: Did a pretty classic MN type workout:
Series 1: "Antidote" while walking
Series 2: Hard contact on a poor banana tree [jabs, punches, edges, hammer fist, back fist, ridge hand, heel palms, and elbows.] I think I broke the tree.
Series 3: Pulls, & QM forward, lateral [ea side] and [tiny bit] backwards on stairs.
Series 4: Medium pace running. Some 3 step + hurdle [tiring!]
Series 5: Forward and back bending, torso rotations.
Series 6: Fast running [with assorted fist and elbow strikes on soccer goal uprights - takes me back to Cross Country running ;D ], running long jumps, forward crawl one length fast, side [or back] one length slow [x3]
Series 7: Breathed.

Not the most amazing workout, but after the chaos of this week, it was a nice change-up. I feel fresh and energized. And my laundry's done, too.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 10:58:54 AM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: btay - tastes like parkour [HIpk]
« Reply #297 on: July 27, 2009, 11:34:41 AM »
SAT: Barefoot: The kind of workout I enjoy:

Tried muscle-ups on banyan tree - too flexible. 3 jump assist MUs on bar. Fast S turns in sand. Speed and balance on stones. Run a mile. Rock climb - foot placement and QM. Run half a mile. There's a bunch of twisty hau trees [see pic below]. I went around each direction without touching ground or using the same basic path. Run 1/4 mile. Club swinging [like mace routine]. Run like another mile or so. Vaults on high rail, pulls, tried MUs, but bar was too narrow. Climbed around jungle gym, transferred to tree. Swinging a tire around. Standing on a leaning tree and swinging tire around. Threw tire at post [x10].
  Ran back 2.5 miles or so, jumping over some beach chairs, a few vaults at NOAA, tic-tac off a tree onto a wall, jumping on/off the wall, running long jumps over stairs, a couple kong vaults over picnic tables. 3 jump assisted MUs, walk home. Suspensions on banyan.

SUN: Started in slippas.

Balance walk on wall, deadlift end of a short phone pole x10, jog to gulch. 9' drop [but I let myself down so it was only 2-3']. Too many cows, so I jogged to the beach.
  Barefoot: ran a few miles, climbing over wharf/ jumping off. Area by Kealia was STINKY. Homeless or rotting vegetation? Turned around. Ran back part of the way. Swam from Sugar Beach to the wharf about 500m. Tried to do it with my slippas tucked in the back of my shorts, but they fell out and started floating away.
  Ran back like Saturday. 4 jump assisted MUs.
  Total distance run - about 6.5 miles.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:50:17 AM by Gregg »

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: btay - tastes like parkour (HIpk)
« Reply #298 on: July 28, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
MON: Biking. Dress shoes: Some minor jumps and climbs while running errands. Need to start testing for the week. Did presses. Biked.
NIGHT: Slippas: after class did a short walk from WalMart to Borders [through flood buffer zone, over fence, little hops and balances], but walked back the long way.

Wen one guy work out fo make his body come strong, dass good fo some tings. But gotta do da tings dat God like. Dass good fo everyting, fo da life ova hea inside dis world, an fo da real kine life we goin get bumbye.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #299 on: July 28, 2009, 08:41:22 PM »
JUNE TEST: Using Standard measures. Forgot to take out my metric tape.

100 16.3 -0.3                       500 1:49 -0.9                1500 6:05 +0   
High 38"  +1.6                      High+ 45" +1.4               Long 97" +4.6 
Long+ 140" +0.5                   Rope 3m -4                    Lift 15.9* +7.95 [20 @ 70# = 15.9 @ 88 - used bar]
Throw 415" + 354" +9.4          Swim 1:25 +12.25          Dive  :40 +3

Total: +35.5

Here's the LINK to the tests...

JULY TESTS:

100 15:56 +0.4 [NOT 0!]       500 1:43 -0.3                1500 5:38.53 +1.15
High 39"  +1.9                      High+ 48" +2.2               Long 99" +5.2 
Long+ 141" +0.8                   Rope 6m +1                   Lift 25.5* +12.75 [32 @ 70# = 25.5 @ 88 - used bar]
Throw 29'6" + 25' +5.75          Swim 1:26 +12              Dive  :28 +1.8

+28.3 with 4 tests to go +42.5 with 2 tests to go! +44.65

Bummer about those shorter throws... and couldn't hold breath today. Still, I am SOOO HAPPY with the results so far. It would be very cool if I could blast out the rope climb and 1500 m, and wind up +46 for my birthday ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 12:47:19 PM by Gregg »