Author Topic: btay - tastes like parkour (HIpk)  (Read 80937 times)

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
Re: btay - tastes like parkour
« Reply #240 on: April 18, 2008, 10:03:48 AM »
Good luck, Btay... you've been very supported and your absence won't go unnoticed

May you find what you are looking for
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2008, 11:33:27 AM »
Fri Apr 18 : CF WOD = “Michael” 3*(run 800 m, 50 back extensions, 50 sit-ups) I walked about 4 miles, split the first set into 25/25. Used my arms for momentum on sit-ups.

Sat Apr 19 : Kayak 5 hours with wife. A little walking, a little swimming.

Sun Apr 20 : CF WOD = shoulder press. Did 15 feet-on-table press-ups. Beach walk 3 miles.

Mon Apr 21 : CF WOD  = back squats. 5x5@ 150# [abused press machine]. Torture routine #3 with wife's help. Static stretching routine customized for my lack of flexibility.

Tue Apr 22 : CF WOD = weighted pull ups. 10# was all I had. Torture routine #3.

Wed Apr 23 : CF WOD = rest day. Torture routine #3.

Thu Apr 24 : CF WOD = "Angie" [100 Pull-ups, 100 Push-ups, 100 Sit-ups, 100 Squats]: Only got 65 pulls, and not all of them were even good. Some jumpers, some negatives. Walked a couple miles. Lunged for phone – chair fell over. Twisted R ankle and knee. Not bad, but still...  Torture #3.

Fri Apr 25 : CF WOD = deadlift. Used rocks. Tried to run back to the gulch, but foot sore, and pecs due to Angie. Tried several times to run. Best was about ¼ mile. Rock hopped – with 99% less hopping. It was lame, due to foot. A couple multi-hundred pound boulders shifted under me. It really freaked me out. Building manager was walking his dog. Has some free weights he doesn't use any more. Said he'd give them to me. Finished off playing forum tag with Urban Shadow, then Torture Routine #3. I can already see progress.

Sat Apr 26 : Watched entire 95+/- minutes of “Jackie Chan: My Stunts”. Torture Routine #3. I was very stiff from Angie and deadlifting.

Sun Apr 27 : A little QM. R foot still has a couple 'marbles' underneath the skin at the arch. 39-34-40

Mon Apr 28 : CF WOD = thrusters. Dumbbell thrusters – 150x10#. Walk a mile. Some vaults – form bad. Routine #3 – wasn't so much torture.

Tue Apr 29 : CF WOD = run 5k. Worked on computers in French, Spanish, Russian, and English. 0 for 4 so far. Mark got 1 working [Spanish]. Trying to install new hardware in another language is hard. 2 for 5. Ran/QM in pool for about ½ hour. [Low impact, high resistance]

Wed Apr 30 : ScriptFrenzy. I was only at 73 pages. I need to be at 100 by midnight. Despite many interruptions, I made it. A few chins, leg lifts, dips, and push-ups.

I'm seeing video of the HIpk guys making lots of progress - like Blane's "Dilution", I'm feeling bummed out. I keep hurting myself. Like the old Astair/Rogers film: "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again."

My goal for today: read some of the posts I've missed in the past 1/2 month. As many as possible in 15 minutes. Then get off the forums, and do something creative.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »
Hey, Btay

Nice to see you back, even if for a short visit. Great to see you've been keeping active too. Don't feel bummed out about getting hurt. Since I started, 2 months ago, I've hurt my knees, shoulder, and back LOL... I guess I consider it part of the process. You know it better than I do, but someone telling me somethign I already know helps me sometimes too  ;D
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #243 on: May 02, 2008, 12:28:52 PM »
Thanks!
When I see the Parkour Generations films, they're constantly stressing not getting injured, training injury free, practicing safe. Even when they're practicing in snow and ice, I don't see the stupid injuries. Part of that is a high level of conditioning, some is high level of safety training - getting the basics DOWN. Rules to keep people safe. Training in many environments - gym, track, street, forest.

They've got 20+ years of experience that most of us are having to learn on our own, the hard way. I don't think injuries are supposed to be part of the process. It's not efficient. It's not parkour.

Cool news - some other guys surfaced here on Maui - there's at least 3 of them who haven't been in the forums. They just contacted me the other day. Now I'm furious that I'm injured. Today would have been a perfect day to head over to Wailuku and train.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #244 on: May 03, 2008, 06:58:07 PM »
I'm not the only person training on Maui, any more. Levi (and his friends) are out there, and probably others. To protect myself and kids I've come up with this 'policy'. This is what I sent to Levi, and will send to anyone under 18.

• I want you to show this message to your parents.
  • I want you to start a daily training log. Not a joke... A real one. Write down what you work on.
  • Work on your landings and rolls. This is important - it will save you from getting injured. Ozzi has a great roll tutorial.
  • You will not do any drops bigger than you during your first year of training. There's plenty to do at ground/ waist level.
  • If you need ideas, AmericanParkour.com, Primal-fitness.com and CrossFit.com have workout of the day (WOD). If it's too hard, you can scale back the exercises. [like, I can't do 100 pull-ups, yet. So I have to do some jump-assisted]
  • You can improvise equipment. If you don't have weights, you can use rocks, milk jugs full of water or wet sand, etc.

Your friends can do the same. In a couple weeks, if I see you guys are training seriously, I will make the time to meet with you and your parents. We'll all get together, talk story. If they want to train with us, that's great.

If your parents have any questions, they can e-mail me.

So that's where I'm at. My actual message was a little longer, but this is the part I plan to use. 18 or older? I'll still meet with your parents, if you want me to. They can still train with us, if they want to. I think the basics of parkour are a lot of fun, and anyone can do it. If your 94 year old tutu wants to train, I'm for it, and will help as much as I can. Personally, I think it'd be very cool.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 07, 2008, 11:22:07 AM »
I'm not the only person training on Maui, any more. Levi (and his friends) are out there, and probably others. To protect myself and kids I've come up with this 'policy'. This is what I sent to Levi, and will send to anyone under 18.

• I want you to show this message to your parents.
  • I want you to start a daily training log. Not a joke... A real one. Write down what you work on.
  • Work on your landings and rolls. This is important - it will save you from getting injured. Ozzi has a great roll tutorial.
  • You will not do any drops bigger than you during your first year of training. There's plenty to do at ground/ waist level.
  • If you need ideas, AmericanParkour.com, Primal-fitness.com and CrossFit.com have workout of the day (WOD). If it's too hard, you can scale back the exercises. [like, I can't do 100 pull-ups, yet. So I have to do some jump-assisted]
  • You can improvise equipment. If you don't have weights, you can use rocks, milk jugs full of water or wet sand, etc.

Your friends can do the same. In a couple weeks, if I see you guys are training seriously, I will make the time to meet with you and your parents. We'll all get together, talk story. If they want to train with us, that's great.

If your parents have any questions, they can e-mail me.

So that's where I'm at. My actual message was a little longer, but this is the part I plan to use. 18 or older? I'll still meet with your parents, if you want me to. They can still train with us, if they want to. I think the basics of parkour are a lot of fun, and anyone can do it. If your 94 year old tutu wants to train, I'm for it, and will help as much as I can. Personally, I think it'd be very cool.

Wow... I'm glad I read this

Getting together for jams is a huge issue for me. I'm 36, and most of the peops in MIA are in their early teens. That's mainly what has kept me training solo. Not that I mind training with younger peops, I just had a weird feeling about it. Now I see I'm not alone  ;D

You do have to cover your assets. No telling what kind of issues you can run into

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #246 on: May 07, 2008, 11:44:40 AM »
May 1 : CF rest. I did some practical pk at work. “Good thing you're agile”. They see its usefulness, and don't mind me training. Routine #3. Worked at night at WBM... up on the roof. I did a bunch of sprinting, some small precisions, pull-up. Was going to do thrusters with speakers, but chickened out.

May 2 : CF WOD “Murph” For time: 1 mile Run, 100 Pull-ups, 200 Push-ups, 300 Squats, 1 mile Run
I walked around Wailuku. All over the place. Miles and miles. When I got home, I did the pulls [lots of jumps, lots of breaks], push-ups and squats.
May 3 : CF WOD = Shoulder press, push press, push jerk. No weights – 100 presses – 10 with feet on chair. I'm not holding my breath about getting those weights from Paul.

May 4 : CF WOD = 50 burpees. The first 14 felt so good. I thought “This is going to be easy”. By 17 I was dying. I was going to quit at 30. Pushed thru. Got all 50 done. Forgot to stretch – stiff today.

May 5 : CF = Rest day. Thank God. I am SORE. Good sore, but sore.

May 6 : Dips, tried to figure a good way to do cleans without weights [didn't]. Stretch #3

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Yeah. I'm 44. I've been training alone because I have a freaky schedule, and I was the only one I know on Maui that was training parkour. I'd love to get over to Oahu and train with Ozzi and the guys. Now that the kids here are starting to show up, this protects me, separates the wheat from the chaff [serious from those just goofing off], and shows their parents that pk isn't just a bunch of kids running around and jumping on things.

Plus, it forces me to train harder. If I'm demanding x+y from the people I train with, I want to be doing x+y+z. Right now I'm just conditioning again - haven't done serious PK in a while. Injuries, bleh :P

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2008, 11:12:06 AM »
May 7 : Break 1 = 50 mountain climbers [each side] + 20 box jumps on knee-high wall.
Break 2 = 36 sec handstand hold [heels on wall] + 30 one leg pseudo-planche push-ups
CF WOD = 4 x 800m = I ran 6 x 1/3 mile = 1.50, 1.48, 1.58, 2.08, 2.05, 2.10 then cooled off in the pool. I'm not happy with those times. What am I talking about!?! It's the first time I've run since Mar 31. I feel no pain. I was sucking air... those are pretty close to my high school ½ mile times :p
Break 3 = 10 crunches, 20 oblique crunches, 20 other ab things – don't know names. 35 back extensions, 36 sec + 20 sec L-sit. Later – I do feel it in my knees a little. I was also doing some vaulting. Stretch #3

May 8 : Break 1 = 30 squat thrusts + 15 lunges each side.
CF WOD = "Diane" 21-15-9 reps of: 225 pound Deadlift, Handstand push-ups. I did the pushes first, with my feet on a high table. Tried to deadlift 3 52# boxes, but it was too bulky.
PK = A little training at Pi'ikea. 20+ vaults, mostly trying to improve monkey. 7' wall up. Balance on posts. Everything felt pretty good, but my form was AWFUL.
Jogged about ½ mile. Deadlift volleyball pole bases. It felt like 150#, but was probably closer to 100#. 11-14-15. It was about 3' across, and very awkward to lift. Very sore after doing this – walked home. 10 ab exercises, 10 reps of each [Ab 100]. Stretch #3. Filed at scar tissue. Must have hit not-scar tissue...

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2008, 06:08:15 PM »
May 9 : CF rest day. Very minor PK at Pi'ikea. 3.5 mile jog. Did my wife's 20 minute core workout video. It wasn't that hard, except deep squats and lunges after running. I couldn't do it smiling like the models. Stretch routine #3.

May 10 : CF WOD = "Fran" Three rounds, 21-15- and 9 reps, for time of: 95 pound thruster, Pull-ups. I used 52# box for thrusters. Had to break it up 10-11-10-5-9. Broke the pulls into 5 round – wrist started hurting after about 15. At least they were all decent pulls – no jumpers, or negatives.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2008, 10:08:32 PM »
Sun May 11 : [Saturday? Jogged 800m, swam 300m in ocean, walked home.]. Walking, swimming, boogie boarding, body surfing.

May 12 : Poor sleep + no breakfast + small lunch. Lot of interruptions – surprise visit from relatives. Spent a couple hours scouring town for wife's lost keys. Tried to do muscle-ups for CF WOD, but couldn't. Wore myself out trying.

May 13 : CF Rest day. Worked on rolls, diving rolls, side and back falls, cartwheels [lame], then hit the pool.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2008, 06:26:57 PM »
May 14 : Jogged barefoot 800m, swam 400m in ocean. Lower tide. The last 75m was swimming over/ through coral/ rock. I took care not to brush against it or kick it. It was a little stressful without goggles. Ran back barefoot along the beach. A couple fishermen shouted apology – I thought I hit a jellyfish tendril while I was swimming. It was one of their lines [and I didn't know it]. Glad they didn't hook me. I just brushed it off my shoulder, popped up to make sure I wasn't surrounded by jellies, and kept swimming. Rolls on hard-packed wet sand.  Form was a bit off – need to keep working at these. Balance on fallen tree – not that great today. Tried a bunch of jump-assisted muscle ups, got 2 good ones, 1 a little unbalanced, and a few really bad tries.

I'm waiting for Levi and Kaimalu to start posting training logs. C'mon guys. I just want to see that you're TRYING. See how lame my log is some days? [like Monday].

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2008, 09:02:29 PM »
May 15 : CF WOD = "Cindy" Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Pull-ups, 10 Push-ups, 15 Squats. Pull-ups were the limiting factor for me. My arms just couldn't recover fast enough. Rather than sit around, I did extra squats between pull-ups. 7 sets + 5 pulls + 155 extra squats.
Later: 4x5 elevated push-ups – feet at 4'6”.

May 16: Dreamed I was practicing Spanish verbs: “Yo corro, tu corres, el corre, nosotros corremos, vosotros corr'eis, ellos corren”... weird. Did not stretch last night. Could really feel it this morning.
Break 2 : 10 lunges each side. 5+10 elevated push-ups 4'6”.
CF WOD : "Michael" Three rounds for time of: Run 800 meters, 50 Back Extensions, 50 Sit-ups 30:25, which I'm sure is in the “pathetic” range. I've seen some CF tables where they broke down beginner range, up to elite. Wish I could find them.
Break 3 : 15 squats, 10 el-pu's at 4'6”

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #252 on: May 19, 2008, 12:42:24 PM »
May 17 : Rest day. Thank God. My pecs and  quads are so sore. Working 16 hours today.
May 18 : Still quite sore. Did just a little core and arms. My posture is terrible. I raised my chair height – will spend more time during the day standing? I spend hours sitting, looking down. It's showing. :P I will take this computer and move it to one of my equipment racks, so I'm doing all my email/forum stuff standing up. Does this mean shorter posts? The world holds its breath in anticipation.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #253 on: May 19, 2008, 07:52:17 PM »
My job, too, means sitting on my butt for hours, unless I'm ushering or running the sound board.  Sometimes I'll pace at the back of the room.  Standing when you can is a great idea.  Also, check your posture every 15 minutes or so.  I think if you focus on it too much, it can be a distraction.  But periodically going "How's my posture" should eventually correct the problem until it's second nature.  At least, that's what I'm gonna shoot for.

Sounds like you've been doing some awesome conditioning lately.  You've really raised the bar for yourself.  Good luck and keep it up!
Queen of Puns

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
Thanks LJ! Sound board = sit bored. That's why I spend so many hours on APK and HIpk forums. I need something engaging enough to keep me awake, yet non-demanding, so if something goes wrong I can catch it quick.

Standing is helping a little. I'm trying to keep one foot slightly elevated to help keep everything lined up properly. The problem is after 13 years of sitting, plus years and years of running without proper stretching, plus getting older, plus eating... plus, plus, plus... bad posture is catching up with me.

I'm trying to amp up my workouts. I don't have 16 hours a day to devote to PK. Some days I don't have 15 minutes. Wah. So I try to squeeze in what I can. The CrossFit WOD has been more than enough challenge for me, tho I also have PK and running goals.

Levi's been posting his training journal in my training journal at HIpk. I'm hoping to see something from Kaimalu soon.

Trying to get access to the Rock Shop. Also thinking of creative ways to train MN [Methode Naturelle].

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2008, 03:19:29 PM »
May 19 : HIpk GOM [goal of the month] = clap push-ups [cpu] 10, 11, 9. Standing long jump 91, 88, 91 inches. [almost 8']. cpu 5. So my cpu goal is 16, then try double claps? Standing at computer is better – my posture is better. Can't hear the rooms as well, tho.

CF WOD : 42:30 to do 75 push-ups 15+15+8+5+4[interrupted by phone call]+6+6+4+6+6, 50 [95#] sumo deadlift high-pulls 5 [30#? basket – broke] + [25#? box of paper] 5+10+10+10+10, 50 [ring] dips 5+5+4+1+4+4+0+2+1+[feet on box] 10+10, 30 [45#] weighted pulls [2 5# dumbbells held between my thighs] 5+4+1+4+3+2+2+2+2+3+2, 25 HSPU 5!+0 :( + [3' elevated] 7+5+5+3

May 20: Break 1 = 5 min QM on the rocks above the fish ponds, 3 vaults.
CF WOD : I ran almost 2 miles – jumping over a few tree trunks, up and down on some short walls, over a gate, a few small 3-3.5' vaults. At the end I looked for a log, to start doing 45# Sumo Deads [to sub for rowing machine]. Very awkward to grip. Did 50 reps, stopping several times. Tried to do burpees, but completely ran out of steam after 5. Jogged another mile, did a couple lame vaults, and a cat leap where the rail went between my ring and pinky fingers. Walked the last mile home. Slowly.

Tested on my flexibility. I haven't been doing Stretch #3 as often or intense as I'm “supposed” to. It's “supposed” to be uncomfortable, just below pain threshold.

May 21 : Break 1 = 5 CPUs. Break 2 = 6 CPUs. CF rest day.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2008, 11:52:39 AM »
May 22 : Jump Squats and elevated push-ups. Stretch #3.

Finished proposal for Pr Josh – 2 pages. It's spinning off in a weird direction - I just wanted a place to practice some basic PK moves. Looks like it could be a lot bigger than that.

Saw Paul this morning – will bring weights “In a day or two.”

Levi's been posting solid - it's going to be fun trying to keep up with him. Jeff has been doing PK/FR "a couple years." Nothing from Kaimalu.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2008, 11:29:24 AM »
Fri 23 Bike 7+7 miles. Random small PK at WBMR&S.

Sat 24 Beach day. Ran thru waist-high water with wife on my back. Body surfed, swam, built sand castles. Walked. Paddleball.

Sun 25 Rest day.

Mon 26 Random small PK at WBMR&S. Ran 4 miles barefoot w/ some vaults. Jump-assist muscle ups 8-10-4 at beginning, mid and end of run. Short swim. Slipped on wet rock. Fell into ocean. PWF – I was doing 6-7 foot drops last year, and now I'm back down to 3-5. Roll practice.

Tue 27 1.85 miles in 14:15. [7:42 pace – I've run marathons faster than that. Sigh.]  Sumo dead lift, thrusters, clean and jerk weights, pipe and assorted rocks.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:20 PM »
have you gotten those free weights yet that you were waiting for?

it sounds like you feel in a slump, training wise?  remember it ebbs and flows and don't let yourself get too discouraged.
Queen of Puns

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2008, 06:35:05 PM »
Not in a slump.  ;D My schedule gives me one free weekend a month. So I played Saturday, and rested Sunday.

I really need to work out injury free. Ankle, knee and feet injuries have really set me back the past year and a half. Mostly PK related. That set me back on the drops and running speed.

Also, I'm a lot heavier than I used to be. When I was running distance, I was a heart and lungs with legs. Now I'm packing another 35 pounds. Mostly muscle. Most of my clothes don't fit any more. I'm still trying to get used to this heavier body.

Sorry if it sounded like complaining. I got the weights. Levi's been training, and I'm still trying to meet him. Another new guy I've called... so I just need to train injury free...