Author Topic: btay - tastes like parkour (HIpk)  (Read 81023 times)

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
Re: btay - tastes like parkour
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2008, 09:01:22 PM »
Barefoot sunset beach run - 4 miles +. I played in the trees a little, watched kids and dogs playing. I notice they don't run in straight lines. It's all loops. Isn't that the difference between work and play? I made sure to blend the line... splashing, seeing how close I could get to the water line without getting wet, etc.

Very good point.  I'll have to incorporate that in my runs, too (minus the ocean part).

I can train on the beach, run a mile, and be training in the mountains. I love Maui.

Fri: Barefoot and loving it. Started off dynamic stretching. Rock climbing/ bouldering until my forearms were burning. QM on the rocks, trying for stealth. Climbed around in trees. Tried to do a tree to tree transfer - couldn't quite pull it off. Swimming/ playing in the water. Sunset was beautiful, despite heavy purple clouds.

Wow.  And Kansas City's a hole.  And I live in the ghetto.  My scenery is potholes and leaf-less trees and broken glass.  There's not a significant body of water for hundreds of miles.  We do have poison ivy, though.  And ticks.  And hills.  And poor cell phone reception.... But gas is cheap.  There's really nothing to see or do around here.  I think that's part of what makes it such an ideal place to do what I do for a living:  there are no real distractions.
Queen of Puns

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2008, 09:57:42 PM »
Today was lame: wall sits and squats with dynamic core stretches, walking lunges with dynamic arm stretches. Off center push-ups.
--- --- --- ---
Leafless trees: Umm... isn't that autumn/ winter? Or does KC have really bad landscapers?

Ghetto holes depress me. I've been fortunate. Blessed. I never had to stay there for long. Now, mind you, a ghetto hole with friends and happy people, is a lot nicer than a ghetto hole with angry and depressed people. I'd rather be in a nice place with friends and happy people, tho ;D

I had one apartment, my wife can't believe I lived there for six years. It was a hot little 12x12' box, and dust piled up really fast. The neighbors raised fighting roosters. My landlord's family was very cool. They still smile and wave me over, talk story. When I moved in they were "Welcome home". It was perfect for what I needed at the time.

Offline Kevin Davies

• hacker supreme
  • Patas
  • Tacoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2008, 04:59:21 AM »
I was reading about yours knees.  I can definitely sympathize.  I have to be very vigilant about mine.  If I don't do a good warm up and a good cool down with ever workout, my knees will let me know.  Let me know if you find a magic cure for sore knees.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »
Sun: Walked to the gulch. Ran barefoot a little. Tried to wall climb a container, but too slick. Tried to flip huge tire, but couldn't. Deadlifted rock instead. Rock hopped barefoot, with a little rock climbing. Had a small rock turn on me as I was walking out. Fell, but caught myself no problem. Jogged to the beach. Ran just under 3 miles, then hit the water. Ran in waist-chest high water for about 1/4 mile. Couldn't always see the rocks. Bashed my feet a few times. Gave up. Swam. Jogged/walked  home.

Today ball of R foot is sore. Not sure if it's from the impact of rock hopping, or if I hit a rock there while I was running. I was pretty cautious hopping. Took it slow and easy, few drops, few jumps.
--- --- --- ---
Knees felt good until after the water running. Then I could feel it just a little bit in L knee. That's why I took it easy coming home. I don't know any magic cure. I just try to pay attention to my body, and pamper it. Fatigue from training hard is one thing. Pain is another. Thanks, TacoMan!

Magic cures: I read of two things you can take to prevent knee pain before it starts. Coral calcium and gelatine. My wife also takes glucosamine/chondritin some times. It's supposed to help strengthen your bones, ligaments and cartilage.
--- --- --- ---
ScriptFrenzy starts tomorrow. 100 page film script in one month. I post about that much in the forums, so it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2008, 11:30:28 AM »
Sounds pretty intense!

Did you do all that rock carrying, climbing and running barefoot, or just the jogging on the beach?
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2008, 12:23:44 PM »
Everything was barefoot except the walk to the gulch, running on a section of sharp gravel, one long 'precision' [put on my slippers for a little extra padding], part of the jog to the beach where there was a lot of kiawe [1/2" thorns], some climbing on a rock/cement wall [the slippers were a hindrance, not a help] and the walk home from the beach. I wore my slippers around my forearms, to keep my hands free. If I thought I really needed them, I slipped them on my feet.

Oh, and one of the wall-climb attempts on the container. No help.

Barefoot is fun, but it doesn't take much to mess up your feet. That's why shoes were invented in the first place. Kiawe will go right thru slippers, so some times it's 'take a careful step, lift your foot, pull out the thorns, take another careful step'.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #226 on: April 01, 2008, 04:30:33 PM »
April goals:
ScriptFrenzy: Off to a great start - or rather, a great middle. I just started page 12, and I'm still inspired. I stopped in a fantastic place - probably good for another 10-15 pages, depending how I write it. This is the exact opposite of my usual pattern - struggle for 2 weeks, give up, start over, and try to get everything written in the last week.

Training: Start of this week will be "Don't get hurt". End of this week, and next week will be have fun with extended family. They'll be visiting. One bro-in-law is pretty hardcore - races bicycles in Alaska. One sister is training for marathon, so I can run to death if I want. Throw in a bunch of nieces and nephews who want to play in the ocean... it's going to be fun, but I may need a vacation after they leave.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »
Man, I wish *I* had family in Hawaii!   :P

Queen of Puns

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #228 on: April 03, 2008, 01:20:19 PM »
You forget? You do - they're just very extended family.
--- --- --- ---
Five hour power outage yesterday. Pretty much the whole central part of the island was out, except for the airport. I listened to a bunch of guys talking about the benefits and drawbacks of solar power, power inverters, etc. It was a beautiful afternoon and I couldn't work, so...

I went to the pool and played with a 7 year old. He had 4 diving rings, so we'd take turns throwing them, and seeing if the other guy could pick them all up in one breath. He swam over and climbed up my legs while I was doing handstands/ walking on my hands/ HSPUs. I didn't have a problem with the added weight, tho balance was a problem.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 04, 2008, 05:57:34 PM »
You forget? You do - they're just very extended family.
--- --- --- ---
Five hour power outage yesterday. Pretty much the whole central part of the island was out, except for the airport. I listened to a bunch of guys talking about the benefits and drawbacks of solar power, power inverters, etc. It was a beautiful afternoon and I couldn't work, so...

I went to the pool and played with a 7 year old. He had 4 diving rings, so we'd take turns throwing them, and seeing if the other guy could pick them all up in one breath. He swam over and climbed up my legs while I was doing handstands/ walking on my hands/ HSPUs. I didn't have a problem with the added weight, tho balance was a problem.

Sounds like fun balance work.  I love that diving game.  I still play it [whenever I get the rare chance to be near a pool].

Personally, I like when the power goes out (unless it's winter).  Everything gets so quiet and still.  The refrigerator isn't humming, the A/C isn't going off...  No electronic hums or buzzes or clicks.  You could almost close your eyes and pretend you've left civilization behind.

And, believe me, if I could afford the time and money to go to Hawaii, I'd be on the next plane.  :)

Queen of Puns

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #230 on: April 10, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »
Back from vacation. It was great. We had a lot of fun. They're still here. I have to work :P

I'll post more later.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 10, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
party in hawaii at btay's house wooooo!  :D
if you sell your screen play make sure you get me a part. even if im "guy standing in background #3"  ;)
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #232 on: April 10, 2008, 04:00:55 PM »
Totally missed the mail about the Tribe coming to the Islands. Ozzi sprained his ankle and can't walk at all. I sliced my feet open, and can walk, barely.

I don't remember any dates, just locations:

Haleakala summit: This is a harsh, fragile environment. You should stay on the path. There's plenty of rock to jump around on, especially if you take the short hike from the visitor center at 9000' up White Hill. It's hard to get much speed going, and I was out of breath if I ran. Still plenty of places to do precisions, rock hopping. It's NOT all a'a, so you're cool. Hiking down from Halemau'u with family, I concentrated on foot placement. Bro in law was sick, sister and Mom  not doing too well, either. So we turned around way before Holua Cabin, and hiked back up.

Ahihi: Good snorkelling. People walking on the reef have almost totally killed it. Still fish around the edges/ shallows. This one blue fish kept sneaking up on people, startling them. He'd swim from behind, then cross a foot in front of your mask. I saw him coming. My wife didn't. She freaked, and tried to climb up my back to get away. I was laughing so hard, that I ended up sucking in a lot of salt water.

LaPerousse Bay: Lots of sharp a'a, and coral, and cultural sites. Come to look around, but be careful.

Lahaina: The banyan tree has all sorts of "No climbing, no swinging" signs. It's a huge tree, with hanging roots, sub-trunks, connecting branches... it covers like an acre, and it's all connected. Buildings are close together, with funky roofs - unfortunately, most are old, some are rusty. Not sure I'd really want to run up there. Lahaina is CROWDED.

Road to Hana: Twin Falls is a nice hike. My 4 year old nephew did the hike. Way more crowded than it used to be. Ripe guava on the ground. Ono grinds [tasty food] at the fruit stand.
Ke'anae: Climbed around on the sharp wet rocks with nephews, nieces, etc. Looking at tide pools, waves, etc.
Wai'anapanapa: Went into the caves with a few brave souls. The water is FREEZING! We had 3 sets of headlights, and my 4 year old nephew was wearing a flotation vest. He was screaming and crying as soon as we started swimming into the caves. Not nice in an enclosed space. Everyone else was having fun. We got as far as we could - there's part where the ceiling goes underwater. Since we had no scuba, we turned around. Everybody else was out of the caves. I was the last one. I started climbing up the same place I always do. This time I slipped. I sliced open the arches of both feet, and lightly scraped my arm on the way down. I did not scream. I did not swear. I said, "Oh, that hurt", then had to limp across jagged lava cinders, climb up an easier place. Put my slippers on. My wife tried to help me limp back to the car. She's short, so I couldn't lean on her. Got bandaged up. I'm glad it was me, and not one of the kids.

Ma'alaea: I limped around. Leaned on walls. Sat. If you wanted, you could totally kong into the Hammerhead tank at the Ocean Center. I hope they keep them well fed. The Ocean Center is EXPENSIVE, but it's so totally cool. $24 for adults.

Screenplay: Starting page 25, so not bad for a week off. It's totally silly, so far.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2008, 08:40:07 AM »
Totally missed the mail about the Tribe coming to the Islands. Ozzi sprained his ankle and can't walk at all. I sliced my feet open, and can walk, barely.

sorry to hear that. i hope you guys get better soon. does that mean no more videos for a while? who am i kidding, you guys will find a way  ;D!
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »
Ozzi was planning to take some time off to let his knees heal, but still had a series of videos he was planning to do. Will this injury slow him down? Yes. Will it slow down his video output? No. As far as I know, he's still going to be on the Andy Bumatai talk show on Monday.

The Tribe are stuck on Oahu, with a bunch of free time. Argh! What bad timing! That could've been a huge push forward to train with them. And we're missing it. As far as I know.

Some days I wish I was on Oahu, so I could get involved in everything. Then I go to the beach, or walk through a place that's not over-developed and crowded. Then I don't mind so much.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2008, 08:47:58 PM »
Oh no!  Get better soon!  I'm glad it's not joint related.  Cuts and scrapes heal faster and without permanent damage.  And I'm also glad it wasn't one of the kids!

Still sounds like you had an awesome time.  It is too bad about missing the Tribe, though.  Those guys seem like they would be a lot of fun.  I'm sure you'll get another chance, though.
Queen of Puns

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2008, 10:47:41 AM »
No joints were injured. It's not just a simple cut, though. I'm not sure what the R foot swelling and bruising is from. Probably landed on a rock when I fell into the water? L is totally healed, as is R arm.

I'm still having a wonderful time with family, even tho I'm back to work, now. They start leaving tonight.

I'm sure Ozzi's posted it elsewhere... Tribe visits Ozzi
video

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #237 on: April 16, 2008, 01:59:58 PM »
Foot's healing. I walked several miles on the beach with my wife. Cut was tender, so I had to make an effort at times to walk on the outer edge of the foot. Give the arch a rest, especially in softer sand.

Did a bunch of jump pull-ups, partial range pull ups, knee raises, dips, partial dips, and some weird things that I made up as I went along. Nothing organized. Just got a nice burn in my forearms and biceps. Figured "That's good for tonight."

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #238 on: April 17, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »
I'm going to go AWOL from all forums for a while. I think you guys have enough momentum to keep the site going without me.

I have some other things I need to focus on:

I need to totally recondition. Foot laceration, ankle pain from that fall at KCC - it hasn't healed properly yet. I know I'll be using pk on the job, in training, and in real life. That's not going to be my emphasis, tho.
I need a couple extra hours per day to work on creative projects/ increase income.
I need extra time for God stuff - prayer, reading, helping people, making a difference.
I need more face to face time with people.

The easiest way to gain this time is to reduce forum time. Thanks for your friendship. See you in a month or so.

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2008, 04:24:22 AM »
Have a good "time off," btay!
Queen of Puns