Author Topic: btay - tastes like parkour (HIpk)  (Read 81092 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: btay - tastes like parkour
« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2008, 03:36:54 PM »
Thursday's coasteering run video. Bad form, fatigue, slipping, bad hand-held camera work. It's all there. The big drops and cool moves aren't. Oh well.

I moved better this time. Then had to run back the other way to get the camera. Then had to run forward. Back. Forward. Pretty much everything was one take, as I did it, in the order I did it. I had an old woven Balinese backpack that I used to carry the camera, and use as tripod, etc.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »
Growing Up thanks for the inspiration, Ozzi.

Part of growing up is finding what you're good at, and getting really good at that, as soon as you can. That takes discernment and discipline. I'm still trying to sort out what I'm good at, what I only think I'm good at, and what I could be good at with some work. I think it's a life-long process, because the choices you make and the things you do today affect the choices you will be able to make and the things you will be able to do in the future.

Some weaknesses can be strengths in disguise. Someone who takes needless risks has a strength [willingness to take risks], but needs to figure out what risks are worth taking, and which ones aren't. You can learn this through personal experience, but it's not the best way. Learning that a 15 foot fall onto broken concrete hurts, is a bad thing to learn from personal experience.

A fool doesn't learn from personal experience. A smart person learns from other people's experience. A wise person learns from others' experience, but also hears the quiet whisper of God, despite other loud distracting noises and voices. I've been a fool more than I care to admit, and wise only rarely.

Some weaknesses are limiting factors. "Man will never fly." "I'm scared to talk in public." "I can do five pull-ups."
Some things you can control. Some things you can't. Some things you think you control, but don't. Some things you think you can't control, you can make a little difference.

One of my strengths and weaknesses is the ability to 'see' opposing sides sometimes. This gets me in SOOO much trouble.

1. Focus on the goal. Focus on where you want to be. Picture yourself reaching the goal. Make that mental picture as sharp as you can, in color, with details. Now work toward it.
1. Focus on where you are now. Feel the tension of your arms, the feel of the concrete under your fingers, the look of the surface you're on now, the look of the surface you'll be in a step. The wind. Your breath. It's all a gift. Enjoy it. If you find yourself in a beautiful place, take some extra time to explore and savor it.
1. Where else could you put your focus? People? Being useful? Making a difference? Isn't that what parkour and life are really supposed to be about? What if you focused on that? Be strong to be useful. How would that change how you trained, what you trained? Then, as you're working on your vault, you're thinking what? As you struggle to get that one extra rep, you're thinking what? What other training should you do? What training should you stop doing?
1. What if there's more to life than what you see here?

2. Music helps you. It can inspire you, pump you up, relax you, help you flow. It can help you overcome discomfort, and mask irritating noises.
2. Music hinders you. You need to be able to hear your own thoughts, and the sounds around you. Music can distract you from what you really need to hear.
2. There is a time for music. There is a time for quiet. Sometimes when I'm by myself, I think in music. I make up a simple chord progression, and start mentally jamming over it. If I had to, I could tell you the fingering and position for the bass and guitar parts. Mostly, I choose not to, and just enjoy the rhythm, the emotion, or whatever. Sometimes there are words. Sometimes it's other people's music.

3. Train with people who push you, encourage you to expand your horizons and overcome your limitations.
3. Listen to criticism. Sometimes "You can't do that" is the motivation you need to prove you can do it.  "Don't do that here" forces you to get creative. "You'll get hurt" forces you to train safely, while you expand your limitations. Acknowledge what's being said, then treat it like any other obstacle. Play with it. Balance on it. Do a tic-tac. Some walls are big, so either find a smaller wall, some finger and toe holds, or a door.
Find a mentor - someone who's already on the path, and can inspire you to overcome further challenges. Find a critic - someone who tells you when you're not doing the job right, or you're off track. Find friends to travel with. Help and inspire the other people you meet.

4. Train alone. Get to know the way your body works.
4. It's never just about you. Even when you train alone, your actions affect the people around you, affect your environment. If you jump on that railing, will it weaken it for the people who need it? Are you improving the area? Inspiring people who are watching?

5. Your mind will give out before your body has to. Commit, so your body can push past your mental limitations.
5. Your mind is way ahead of your body. Your mind has to think of what you can try before your  body is able to do it. Listen to your mind. Try new things. Listen to your body. Discomfort from stress is ok. Pain from injury is not.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »
Biked 4 miles to the Lahaina Pali Trail [Ma'alaea side]. Tried to run it. I used to be able to jog/ run pretty much the whole thing BOTH WAYS [10 miles]. That was 12 years ago. My upper body is stronger now, but my lower body and endurance aren't. I walked/ jogged about 2.5 miles in, passing the high point of 1600 feet.

Then I paid for every stupid bad choice I'd made. On the way back, sun set. There was NO light, no moon, only very clear and beautiful stars. My knees were very sore already, and coming back down - each step was pain. I lost the trail a couple times, could not see my footing, took a 3' drop I didn't see... my guardian angels were working overtime. The steep mile which took 15 minutes up took probably 45 to an hour coming down.

When I finally got back to the trailhead where I'd locked my bike, I couldn't read my combination. After the initial panic and prayer, I was able to open the lock by touch alone. I biked nearly blind a mile to the highway - relying more on sound and touch than sight.

Finally, after a shower, I took my Razor kick scooter a mile to my wife's job, to pick her up.

Running is painful today, tho getting better. Same with stairs. Definitely a rest day.

--- --- ---

I overheard a lady talking about 30' drops. She looked like any other Southeast Asian middle-aged lady. Dress, heels, no bulging muscles. I was intrigued, so I talked to her.

She's a trainer, like Laurie Jennifer was talking about last year. I had heard her right. Here's how she trains people to take a 30' drop in three months. [I'm not posting this in the regular forums for obvious reasons]:

Trampoline for a week, to build up posterior chain. 10' drops into water, focussing on dropping perfectly straight, and then proper landing when the toes touch the bottom of the pool. 10' drops from a platform. 20' drops from a platform. 30' drops from a platform.

They're not doing this for fun. This is emergency training. The drops are only a small part of the training they receive. She wasn't familiar with the word "parkour" so they must use a different term. I'm hoping to talk a bit more with her.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:04:44 PM by btay »

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »
wow, keep us posted on the whole drops thing. btw, good logic only posting this here.
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2008, 02:15:10 PM »
She left for Asia before I could talk to her more. Sigh.
--- --- --- ---
Functional PK last night at GWR. Vaulting, underbars, precisions, jumping, landing, a 10' [plus railing] wall climb.
--- --- --- ---
Been posting my log more at HIpk. Here, I was trying to post more on the 'Be Useful, Make a Difference" thread. This is intentional. If I'm trying to focus on others, my training log puts the focus back on me.
--- --- --- ---
Stumptuous.com has a 9 page .pdf "Progress Tracker Worksheet". It's for weight training, which bores me, but I wanted to get a baseline. I'm not going to post it here. I'm embarrassed that my waist has ballooned up to 35!?!? I had it looking good at the end of last year, and it's still pretty strong. Still, I remember going into stores looking for W25 L34 pants, and not finding them. It doesn't seem THAT long ago. [It was]. That's what happens when you start taking the car instead of the bike every day + age + slower metabolism + sweet tooth. I'm still in shape, but not 'elite'. [6% body fat = where I used to be.]

Want to work on running, balance, functional strength. I don't care about my weight, as long as I'm very fit. It's easier to run as a 138# guy than as a 171#, tho. I would like to attack the Xterra 5k this October. If I turn the fat into muscle, and work on my PK skill... this is a harsh cross-country race, terrible footing, walls, downed trees... the muscle weight might not be a penalty, if it gives me the extra power and strength I need.

Why? What does it really matter in the long term? Sigh...

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »
Why? What does it really matter in the long term? Sigh...

??? health?
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »
I actually meant the Xterra 5k.  ;D Kinda pointless in the grand scheme of life. It's not useful, it doesn't help anybody. It's just an exercise in ego. I'm still going to train for it.
--- --- --- ---
Did a lot of pk at work. Played in the trees, rock climbing on the front waterfalls, balance, precisions, upper body stuff. Had one guy come up and ask, "Are you doing yoga?" I was doing precisions between paving stones, a most un-yoga activity.
--- --- --- ---
Sunset beach run, 2.8 miles or so. Did a couple vaults, some rock climbing. Fun, not too fast. I'll be able to bump this up to very close to 4 miles... or 9.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2008, 03:53:40 PM »
Blindfold training + gauntlet = blind micro-gauntlet. My workspace is a maze of equipment racks:

Area 1: Squats. Walk to pull-up bar. Pull-ups. Go between racks. Hold handstand against patch rack. Grab rack 2. Hanging leg lift. Drop to mountain climbers in area 2 [due to window, changed from lunges] QM forward over chair and around racks to area 3. Reverse QM back over chair, to area 1.

Did 3 rounds. It was bad. I fatigued fast. It was kinda fun. After doing the nearly blind 1600' descent and bike ride last week, I can see where blind training could be useful. I also tried walking blind from my office to another part of the building. After bashing my shins on a cart I forgot about, I decided it was pretty stupid.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2008, 11:58:27 AM »
Blind precisions: I tried some 3 to 4 foot precisions to a curb - seeing it, then closing my eyes and jumping blind. It freaked me out the first time - my body wouldn't let me jump, and I had to move in closer. I nailed most of them, a little sloppy on a couple, and came up short on one. Short's the thing to avoid on rail to rails, Ozzi. It can be done, and you'll do it before I do, but definitely the first one is FREAKY.

Blind micro-gauntlet 2: Frog planche to tuck lever to exploding push-ups [moving forward] to L-sit to walking lunges. Ok. That stunk. With 3 static exercises, it's not that fun. Run 1: I felt like I moved forward 6" on 5 push-ups, and turned the L-sit into a sit for a few seconds. Run 2: Hit my head on rack doing push-ups, and opened eyes. Opened eyes on 3rd time [to avoid hitting rack]. Chicken.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #209 on: March 18, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »
You would not believe the bad weekend I had [except for maybe LJ. Thanks for covering me! +1]. Thanks to God, MA training and PK conditioning, I pulled through with a few minor scratches. I don't think I'm even bruised from the kicks - I rolled or blocked most of them. My wife got hit in the head, and her glasses were knocked off. Maybe bruised wrist, but not bad.

I worked 13.5 hours on 15 minutes sleep, 2 packs of instant oatmeal, and a small plate of pasta. I was slow physically, mentally, spiritually, and exhausted.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2008, 11:49:35 AM »
Barefoot sunset beach run - 4 miles +. I played in the trees a little, watched kids and dogs playing. I notice they don't run in straight lines. It's all loops. Isn't that the difference between work and play? I made sure to blend the line... splashing, seeing how close I could get to the water line without getting wet, etc.

The sunset itself wasn't too spectacular, but walking home, the sky was gorgeous - about half of it was pink, with a thick band of bright orange near the horizon. I spent time enjoying the silhouette of trees against the bright pink sky. Listened to the palms clatter and talk.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #211 on: March 20, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »
Razor scootered a mile. Biked 8 mi or so? Fairly intense, but still enjoyed the scenery. Lots of birds wading in Kealia. Boardwalk silhouetted. West Maui Mountains. Sunset - I was too far north for a good angle, and the colors weren't as nice as yesterday; I'm so spoiled. Didn't care for the 30 MPH crosswinds.  ;D

Wearing Tommy's, tried to wall climb down by the chiller. I didn't get it, which is bad. I'm hoping it's just the shoes - no traction. The alternatives are too depressing to think about ;D

Be Useful, Make A Difference Experiment... still too much solo stuff. If most HI kids aren't getting enough exercise and 20% of the people here are obese, how can I change that?

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2008, 11:32:05 AM »
It's the shoes. They're useless on paint.

BU,MADE... See what MadPK, COPK, and OSUPK are doing in their areas? Maybe I can learn from that, and start preparing something like that for Maui.

Minor PK around Pi'ikea, Hope, Library. Did some more minor stuff at Pi'ikea in slippers later in the evening. Plus, the usual pull-ups, hanging leg lifts/ l-sits, dips, rows, and push-ups [dive-bombers last night]

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #213 on: March 22, 2008, 01:48:45 PM »
Happy Easter, Feliz Pascua! If you knew someone was crazy mad passionately in love with you, how would you feel? Frightened? Intrigued? Secure? Loving?

WOD: I went for a long moonlight beach walk with my wife.    :)

Parkour: pushing limits, overcoming obstacles, seeing things in a new way. We're learning how to do that with our bodies, and a bit with our emotions. How could we do a tic-tac socially? What would a financial kong vault look like? How would we practice a spiritual cat leap?

Pursue life, light, love, spirit.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #214 on: March 25, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »
Plenty workouts Sat and Mon. Already posted at HIpk. Highly flexible Methode Naturelle inspired workouts. Knees have been a bit sore, so I worked them, but gently: Small precisions, little jumps. Less running, more walking. Swimming, rock climbing, traversing, trees. Sat was barefoot, Mon was Converse high tops [minimal padding, minimal traction]

Yesterday did a lot of weak-side wall ups: launching from right and pushing off from left. Other side feels much more natural to me. Botched a vault while carrying a ceramic bowl and spoon - landed straddling the rail. Fortunately I took the weight mid-thigh. Another botch yesterday after a cat to a light pole - landed bad, fell weird, did kinda side/ back roll into the traffic lane. Fortunately the car coming was in the other lane, so only my pride was injured.

Did a bunch of little precisions, leaps, low ROM pistols, balance work this morning. My knees aren't happy with it. Plenty of day left - will do bodyweight stuff - concentrate on upper body and core. Give poor knees a rest.

Picked up something interesting at the library yesterday. It's a Jossey Bass management book on making a difference, etc. on a large scale.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #215 on: March 25, 2008, 04:31:33 PM »
Break 2: PK with ceramic plate & spoon. Better than yesterday - did draw up short on one vault, tho. So: Cat crawl and QM, vaulted table, 3 rails [one to semi-precision landing], low wall, some easy balance work.

Lower body dynamic stretches from TricksTutorial.com. Amazing how much flex I've lost in 6 years no MA.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 26, 2008, 06:46:48 AM »
How are those knees doing?
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »
Did a lot of QM yesterday, then a beach walk, paddleball, swimming, running in the ocean carrying my wife. Knees feel 90% today - I should be fine as long as I don't do pistols or drops.
--- --- --- ---
ScriptFrenzy starts April 1. Finishes April 30. Try to write a complete 100 page screenplay in one month. I've tried NaNoWriMo three times - try to write a 50,000 word novel in one month [November]. Finished twice.

The focus is on quantity. If you can get a crappy first draft finished, you're miles ahead of most people, who just complain and whine, and never get a first draft completed. I guess I'll post this in Socialize.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2008, 06:09:06 PM »
training on the beach must be so intense and relaxing at the same time......kind of like the mountains for me :P

what is wrong with your knees?  be careful on those man -- i have had symptoms of tendonitis in my left knee for over a year now -- but then again i should really see a doc :P

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2008, 12:26:58 PM »
I can train on the beach, run a mile, and be training in the mountains. I love Maui.

Here's why my knees hurt:
1. I've been kneeling a couple hours in the evenings, watching my wife mess around on the computer. I didn't realize this until last night. So now I'm grabbing an exercise ball, and sitting on that.
2. My ankles have both been injured. They're not doing their job as well as they should.
3. I ran a lot of distance for about 20 years. Sometimes 15-20 miles in a day, a few times = more.
4. I'm 30# heavier than when I was running distance. I like to think most of it's muscle, but some is fat.
5. Pistols and drops.

I'm sure there are other factors. I AM trying to be careful. Thanks for the reminder, tho!

Training on the beach can be very distracting. I love playing in the water, so it's always a temptation to kick off the shoes and play in the waves. If I'm wearing shoes :) Surfers, skimboarders, Maui's natural beauty, people walking/ tanning/ swimming. Rocks hidden in the sand. Distractions.

--- --- --- ---
Fri: Barefoot and loving it. Started off dynamic stretching. Rock climbing/ bouldering until my forearms were burning. QM on the rocks, trying for stealth. Climbed around in trees. Tried to do a tree to tree transfer - couldn't quite pull it off. Swimming/ playing in the water. Sunset was beautiful, despite heavy purple clouds.

Today I have to work 7-7, with just a short lunch. So no big workout - several small ones.