Author Topic: Recovery Time?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Recovery Time?
« on: June 01, 2007, 07:29:51 PM »
Should I be doing the WOD every day (once I get in better shape)? I always hear about your muscles needing time to recover and repair in order to get optimal results... I know the fact that it's crossfit certified means I'm working different muscle groups but still it seems like because it's the APK warmup almost every time, I wouldn't be able to recover properly from those exercises. Any thoughts? I can do the APKWU but it takes me 40 mins or so. I don't feel too tired to do it the next day, but it's definitely enough of a workout for me for now.

Offline pete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Recovery Time?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 03:04:43 AM »
"Try the APK warm-up and assess how you do. For some people that's a full workout, and for some it's just too challenging (30 pull-ups isn't something most people are used to). If you can do the warm-up no problem in less than 20 minutes, then you can probably add the WOD to your routine as well. "

http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/887/270/

browse through that it should help abit
its nice when people are nice...

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 05:35:53 PM »
Yeah, I've read that. I'm asking if "workout of the day" actually means every day, because usually with a workout regimen there are recovery days.

Offline pete

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:18:06 AM »
yeh, you need recovery days, otherwise u wont recover.
its nice when people are nice...

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 09:26:23 PM »
Depends on how intense the exercises are for you.

For example, say you can do 50 pushups. If you were to start doing 3 sets of 10 pushups each day do you think you would need recovery days for that? Well, I'm sure you know the answer is pretty obvious and it's no. You won't need recovery days for that.

Now, if someone were say pretty weak and could only do 10 pushups max and did 3x10 pushups would he need recovery days? Well, I'm sure you can guess the answer again and it's yes. This is because the exercises are intense for him (close to his repetition maxes). His muscles need time to recover from the workouts.

Now let's apply this to everything. If someone has a very high conditioning level where they can do 30 pullups in a row, 50 dips in a row, 15 handstand pushups in a row, etc. is a workout where they are doing 3x10 pullups, 3x20 dips and 3x5 HSPUs going to be that hard for them? No, it won't and it won't be that much of a stress on your muscles. It won't break them down enough that they won't be able to repair themselves and adapt in time for the next workout the next day. This is what is meant by the quote:

Try the APK warm-up and assess how you do. For some people that's a full workout, and for some it's just too challenging (30 pull-ups isn't something most people are used to). If you can do the warm-up no problem in less than 20 minutes, then you can probably add the WOD to your routine as well.

For some highly conditioned people, doing the WOD is not that intense enough to cause enough muscle breakdown where rest is needed that often. Some people might be able to do it a few weeks in a row without needing a break. If the exercises are sufficiently hard though, you're probably going to need a few breaks here and there. Eventually even the most conditioned people need breaks too though because fatigue accumulates. But that's a whole other topic we can go into, and one that I'll save for later.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline philosophe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:44:47 AM »
Alright, thanks Steve. I think I understand now. +1